Notify
Tools

204 on Whitetail Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Burnett:
...any clue on the fps using a 95 gr Ballistic Tip? ...
Hey Gene, I don't believe I ever bothered to chronograph any of my 243Win Loads. But, I'll flip the book open and look.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddy killed Deer #27 with my Dad's A Bolt 243. He shot another one of our mutant bucks.He weighed 189lbs,(huge for here), 17 6/8 spread, FOUR POINTER!The lazer read 210 yds, and he just center punched him. The 95Gr Ballistic Tip cleaned his clock. Complete pass through, with the usual tennis ball size exit wound.

PS: The possum police wanted to pull his jaw. They weren't sure if it was 3 or 4 years old. I shot a twin to that one in 1999. Beautiful main frames, with 2 tines that might make 4". I wish I knew where these crazy racks came from.

He's still got 32 rounds of the hand loaded ammo I worked up for Pop when he was able to hunt. I think he's getting nervous, afraid I'll not load any more ammo for him. He was another that grew up "270 Brainwashed". He thinks theres some kind of magic in those hand loads. I don't have the heart to tell they are the same speed as Federal Premium ammo, the only difference being the powder, Primer & OL.

Good news is I get to hunt that wheat field where he killed his buck. It's close to a half mile from the road, but he's going to take me in on his ATV. If the wind lays down enough to site in my new 243, it's going with me.

Posts: 114 | Location: USA, North Carolina | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gene, No, I never wasted any time chronographing a 243Win load.

Sounds like agood place to Hunt, best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote