THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Penatration of 22 cal. "Deer Bullets"
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penatration of 22 cal. "Deer Bullets"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
But I will restate that this bullet, put where it is supposed to regardless of shooter experience, will kill.

No arguement there, but that is true of any bullet.

I guess my thoughts on the subject, and they probably are only valid to me, is that a close miss with a 224 and the same miss with a 3O caliber or larger will have different outcomes in some cases, especially in terms of entrance and exit wounds and, and I really hate this term, the amount of trauma inflicted upon the critter.

I think someone mentioned earlier Remington Core Loct ammo.

Lora uses it in here 257 Robert's because we were gifted with about 100 rounds of factory loads after an aquaintence sold his 257 Robert's.

I prefer shooting Barnes "X" bullets, but after I could not get 115 grain Barnes TSX to group out of her rifle we went to using the 117 grain factory stuff and after about a dozen one shot kill white tail does I can't really say that I am unhappy with the performance of that round.

In my case, as a teen ager growing up in the 60's, I got bit in the ass real hard by Elmer Keith and have never recovered. beer beer beer

In the Roberts the 100 TSX bullets shoot fine in mine, the 110 AB would not shoot for chitt regardless of what magical incantation I pronounced over the rifle. The 117 Sierra shot very well as well. Frankly I cannot imagine any grass eater that I would be afraid to shoot with a Roberts and the 100 grain TSX. Then Elmer did not influence me so much as Jack. However I am pretty sure that I see the light now haveing been convinced by the pervasive logic in this thread. I think I am going to buy a 9.3 x 62 so that if I should per chance nail one towards the caboose that it will simply and immeadiately lay down and assume room temperature due to the considerable number of grams of copper and lead that has just passed thru its nether region. For sure a butt shot with a 9.2 x 62 300 grain will simply get er done more than a butt shot with a .223/62 grain TSX. Forgive my thinking otherwise.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I made a mistake once (only once?) of thinking a critter was wounded and getting away so I butt shot it with my hornet, being careful to place the bullet were it would be able to penetrate. That critter went down within seconds and did not get up again. (It did take a finishing shot to the brain - it had not been previously wounded - my bad!) The bullet was a 55gr Hornady spire point launched at near 2700fps. Penetration would have been around 24 inches. It did not reach the heart. The critter was a feral goat. Range about 50yds. The lead core did separate from the jacket and expansion was excessive for that type of shot.

Shooting with an under-power cartridge did make me think of were I was placing the sht.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote