Find
Notify
Tools

416 Subsonic
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Well examining the subsonic rounds it seems there is a need for a 416 version especially with the Barrett 416 VLD bullets.

with a win mag action you could have a cheap but good 416 benchrest rig.

With the win mag case necked to 416 and 1.85" ish long, cal length neck and a 35 degree shoulder it would be a downsized version of the 510 Whisper without all the 500 and larger legal and travel issues.

With the 300 to 450 grain hunting bullets it could be a great deer on down hunting rig.

Think of it as a subsonic 416 Barrett.
Accurate, long range without the size, weight and recoil of the barrett.

Thanks to RIP for the pics wave

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking of a .416 on the 284 Win. case, kind of a dual-purpose sub and super sonic round. Also, anyone know if .284 basic (say 2.5") brass is available???

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Pete from Quality Cart was working on some basic... give him a call to see where he is at with it.

A subsonic could be done on the 450 Bushmaster case.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the win mag case necked to 416 and 1.85" ish long, cal length neck and a 35 degree shoulder it would be a downsized version of the 510 Whisper without all the 500 and larger legal and travel issues.

What legal and travel issues? I have a 510 whisper on my Encore, no issues at all. While the bullets and groove measurements are .510", the lands measure .500" and thus are not subject to the NFA of 1934 regulations.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boom

The king of sub-sonic and the whispers--JD Jones-Since JD was in on the development of both the 416 Barrett and the bullet you have in the photo, I have several examples, including a HP version. JD sent some samples down for me to test on cape buffalo in my 416 B&M back in 2007. They did fine of course, and the HP version shattered the petals and did some damage.

Do you remember a couple weeks ago I sent you some photos of the .510 caliber bullets with the slits cut in them? Those are designed for sub-sonic, with the slits assisting in the bullet opening up, or shattering on impact, causing trauma with the slug continuing on. Not bad for subsonic. Same could be done with the 416.

Just FYI
Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote