THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    EccentriCat/ClassiCats:> .265H&H(Minature .300hh)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EccentriCat/ClassiCats:> .265H&H(Minature .300hh)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one 240 Kynoch belted case, maybe?? can get a few more if the fellow still has some I got it from. I'll send it to who-ever wants to do the measuring ect. to see if it's the right way to go.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Load software say's we can throw a 6.5 140gr Nosler partition just a little short of 3000FPS with this case at about 57000PSI. If that intrests anyone.

It really mimics it's larger sibling the .300 H&H Wink

Terry

Thanks for numbers TC1.
Breathes more Fire that I expected,(with pressures below 60kpsi,where I likem' Wink) GooDo! thumb
Id ave been happy with 140-2800-60kpsi
See what Rich/IdahoSS has to report on incoming prices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any updates????

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Manson will cut a two reamer set. That lets us make a file and trim die, a chambering die, and the 3-die set for reloading.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The magic number here is eight!! Me and the seven...dwar...never mind, I ain't doing the dress thing for anybody.

Eight people. Two reamer set is less than $40 apiece. Eight sets of dies and CH4D gives us the price break, and Dave Manson will consult with Dave Davidson at CH4D to make sure he cuts the reamer set to proper dimensions.

I want you guys to understand, this will not quite make the MV/ME that a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 would, but it is a heck of a lot cooler...

If we buy 110 cases each (allows for losing a few setting up the dies) we can get a very nice price break on the brass. See yourself with a classic of your own design team, and a very nice plains game cartridge out to 300yds and 600lbs. Same thing on ordering eight barrels at once.

WE can make this happen in 60 days. It works a lot better to try and figure out one gunsmith to do all the barrel work. Consistency...

I just bought a nice euro-style stalking rifle blank from SmallCal to fit my DST's and 1908 Brazilian Obendorf Mauser action into.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd bump this one. Sad to see it fall into nothingness. What a cute little rascal!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bent-

You are correct. I, for one, am still "in" on this project.

Any updates from the rest of the group?

Idaho, I don't know what you would look like dressed up like Snow White. Whatever floats your boat Big Grin.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STOP THAT!!! Both of you. I am in, waiting for enough of a committment from ten people to make the deal happen. I am currently doing the 550 Gibbs and 577BME rifles now, but this deal is not tabled...just inactive until we get the numbers.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
since this is not about being practical and a mini 300 h&h...

if you shorten the 300 h&h dies by .23" and chamber by that same length in deficit with a belt chambered on after you could do a 300 winmag length version to get a 30 cal version and the feeding traits in a smaller action.

it would look like this vs the full length original

figure a tad more capacity than the 06'

300 h+h short??? bewildered

it will clean up a 30-06 chamber but need a larger bolt face.

Cheap brass

easy to form

slick as hot snot on oily ice

if you want headstamp brass just form from 300 h+h if going to Africa.

the only one to know the difference would be you and a guy who knows the dimensions and has a ruler in his pocket and not just happy to see you.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
STOP THAT!!! Both of you. I am in, waiting for enough of a committment from ten people to make the deal happen. I am currently doing the 550 Gibbs and 577BME rifles now, but this deal is not tabled...just inactive until we get the numbers.

Rich
DRSS

Rich is verrrrry commited to the shooting world and all his irons are in the fire right now but give him a bit...

there is nothing stopping this from happening for those inclined.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still in, and if anyone wants me to send the piece of Kynoch 240 belted nitro brass to check numbers with, just tell me.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about build it and they will come...

what are all the steps?

1 agree on the dimensions
2 make a reamer print
3 order reamer

Those first three can be done cheap.

Woodjack...do you want to put your 1/8th cost chip in to get the reamer?

Get the reamer out of the way and you are 2 months ahead.

Who wants to do the reamer print?

P.S. nobody likes my 300 win mag length 300 h+h? Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent:
Thought I'd bump this one. Sad to see it fall into nothingness. What a cute little rascal!

mini300hh concept ..??? fear Not!

Now that some dust has settled,I feel an initial dedicated group of around 5 or less could be a better start.
An (8)group sounds a big ask to come together, even more so if it came to getting it together for completed barrel costs.(I could be wrong)
Could see if we can start somewhere reasonable that we all happy with, regardless of whether or not we get a later 2nd group interest to water down costs.
In any case,Im sure we were sensibly well aware that such a venture was never highly expected to be at McMealdeal prices.

Based on Richs' numbers;$320 for 2 reamer set( lets take it to a cost estimate "extreme" by TiNitride coating both reamers,say +$75? CH4Dcharges$36 to TiN dies,should be able to do reamers?).
Personally, I feel its worth the xtra few dollars each, for TiNcoated reamers.
-They will give a more fair&consistent quality cut to the first groups components,and also be of an incentive/benefit to others down the track.
If reasonably decent quality rigs are intended for this potential new Hallowed ARngel chambering(I would imagine so), then per person TiNtride costs are just loose change in the cost of a rifle. Later interested groups get charged a fair and reasonable adjusted price. Initial group gets a fair prop. of their money back.

Round Total: $400.

5persons/$80each
4persons/$100, (5th person gets charged $80)
3persons/$133, (4th person gets charged $100).

Anyways just a suggestion.

Are there any comments/objections/suggestions to the Dimensions&Name below:- they are most near 88% of 300hh dimensions,but rounded to nice smooth numbers within reason&where possible.

Remember, We are also not obligated to a large lot cost of new headstamped brass,some may prefer to begin with a smallnumber of 240wm cases, as Rich suggested earlier on.

Booms, I like your shrt300hh variant.You could do almost anything to a 300hh case and I would like it. I also like the idea of simply necking up to 9.3 or larger and cutting it back to calibre length neck.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Since the 300 H&H was rounded off does 260 H&H not make more sense?

English Holland and Holland used S.A.E. measurements but fudged with the numbers

Rigby made the 7x57 a 275 Rigby

It could be a 265 H&H...

The Americans used more precise S.A.E. nomenclature.

Since this is a loosey goosey Limey round and there is a the 240(6mm), 375, and 465 H&H

It would seem the 260 or 265 would be in line with h+h history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
260H&H or 265H&H,
A Sterling suggestion-Idea there Ol'Chap!
At this stage, I kinda like .260H&H...265H&H Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
265...we already have this pissant 260 something out there!

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
But I wanted to say the .265H&H, if that is the new baby's name is. Is REALLY a neat idea and project.

I'll have to be a bench warmer for now, but an defiantly on the cheerleading squad.

Keep after this you guys are on to something here!

I'm not usually a big wildcat fan for myself but this one is the ticket.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
how about posting in the medium and small bore board and see if anyone wants in on this??? That should pick up a few people who have not seen this thread yet since the title does not say 6.5mm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
265H&H does have a certain ring to it.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
This is a dear little fellow, and I am getting a bit harsh on myself for wanting one.
I need it like the Queen needs a penny, but..........

I'd give in a chime for the .265 H&H.

But can we do that? Call a cartridge H&H? Do they not have royalties or such on a brand name? Did somebody say SUE?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
And then there were six...

H+H could stand for anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure...like Hot&Heavy.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, what action would you use for this project???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a most suitable candidate would be a G33/40:

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks Woodjack Mad
now I wont be able to get that beautiful rifle out of my head!

Touching on the 330 H+H...
That should toss 250 grain 338's @ ??? velocty?

I am guessing 2300?

Kinda like a 8x57 in useable capacity?

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Since the inspiration was named after its bore size, this job should be as well. Thus, we have the .257 H&H, which is suitably obtuse, in keeping with the British spirit.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoomS:
Touching on the 330 H+H...
That should toss 250 grain 338's @ ??? velocty?
I am guessing 2300?

Somethin' like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I will finally have a use for the Ruger No 3 I've got .... a little British stalking rifle in 265 H&H.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

Any update here?

P. Mark Stark

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
This one is just to damn cute!!!! Any news?
dancing

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone cutting a barrel yet?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What happened to this project ?

Posts: 24 | Location: NM/USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

I, for one, am still interested in this project.

Has there been any progress? Have there been any reamers made up?

I am still interested in being a contributer.

P. Mark Stark

one of us
posted Hide Post
We're talking about the .300 and .375 H&H Magnum. Shouldn't you call these cases the .265 and .338 H&H Minimum?

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time to dust this one off and get rolling. I have: six boxes of once-fired 240Wbee brass sitting here on the chair to my right. I have a "friend" at Wbee who might get us brass for a good price.

Where are you gentlemen?

Rich
264H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there guys, is there a chamber remaer avaible yet , and how much does it cost ? Who makes it ?

Thinking on a mauser build but want somethin totally different over here .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we are at the "git 'er dun" stage now. CH4D will make dies if we order several sets. Dave Manson does incredible work and is fast and reasonable.
Wbee brass might be had at a good price.

Here's my take: a minimum of five other people commit; then I spec out the reamers and contact Dave. He cuts rough and finish and sets up CH4D to cut the reloading die reamers to his specs. We make the order with CH4D, and in less than ninety days we have the two reamer set and dies in hand. I prototype and double check everything with CH4D. Looks good, they make dies and somebody collects the $$$ for reamers and dies and sends two PMO's off.
Then we are building and shooting.

Rich
265H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post
How much?

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to have the estimates by Friday.

Reamers to cut chambers and dies: $250
Dies (six sets minimum) $200 a set or a bit less.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, how hard will it be to form brass for these two cartridges?