Notify
Tools

35 Maximum Rimless
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
I was thinking again... Cool
What do you get when you cross a 223 Remington with a 357 Remington Maximum and 35 Remington bullets?

Well you get the 35 Maximum Rimless.

A 223 case blown out straight and trimmed to 1.6" and 35 Rem bullets would be a nice AR15/micro action length cart. (2.25")

Use 357 Maximum reamer and dies...

Casemouth headspace...

357 Maximum+ performance.

Here is a 357 Maximum case with a 180 grain hornady next to 357 mag and 38 special.
Shooting the 180's @ 2,200 fps would be the goal.
Just imagine the rim of a 223

It would be interesting to see how well they feed out of stock 223 magazines. the profile of the 35 Maximum Rimless with the Hornady 180's would be quite similar to a 223 loaded cart minus the taper.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The chamber cut by a standard SAAMI 357 Maximum reamer will not be usable for this rimless cartridge. Cartridges that headspace on the case mouth need a square surface at the transition from case neck to throat for the case to strike. The 357 Maximum has the gentle angle (6 degrees 30 minutes) commonly used for revolver chambers. A special reamer will be required. Standard reloading dies should work well.

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THIS! is an idea that should work. Great minds must think alike! Either that, or lunacy is contagious, take your pick.

I got this same bug awhile back, after talking to Jeff Cooper at Gunsite. His thought was to have a reamer cut that was just a similiar length case, but on 38 Super dimensions. He had done a "Super Nine" waaaaay back using 223 brass for a pistol cartridge to take to some South American country where military chambered firearms were a "no-no", and his 45 could not get past customs.

Great idea Boomie.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...

I was wondering about the headspace on the casemouth...Thanks for the info dedseven. So custom reamer but off the shelf dies is still awesome. I think one of the best things would be if it feeds from unaltered 223 magazines! The profile of the 180's in the straight case and the 223 are similar.

Rich... Thanks! Even a broken clock is right twice a day Wink
A double stack 357 maximum+ is pretty cool IMHO. being a straight case and loading out the bullets to max oal to help keep the preasures down and running at the top preasure for an ar15 I wonder if 35 rem balistics can be achieved. I hope so. Need about 10 dummies to see how it stacks in an ar15 magazine.

The 357 Maximum has a capacity of 37 grains so I wonder what a blown out straight 223 rem case to 1.6" is??? bewildered

A micro bolt action with this is a neet option too.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://357maximum.com/

This is a great read!

This cart should conform to those crazy indiana cart bullet laws.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boom

I looked over this again--good idea, and don't worry too much about the headspace on the case mouth--Currently we are building a 50 on a DPMS and it will headspace on the case mouth. Keep an eye on the case length and there will be zero issues with it.

Micro Bolt gun?? Maybe Win M70 WSSM??? Small cartridge--fat magazine??? Don't know?

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael wave from one wildcat nut to another Big Grin
I think starting with a 223 bolt action would be the most cost efficient and quickest conversion.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Need about 10 dummies to see how it stacks in an ar15 magazine.

Not well, played around with this a bit over Christmas for a friend who had been hunting with a rechambered Contender barrel in Maximum.

Although if I ever get those Gremlin magazines from C-Products with the .061"(ish) front rib, they would probably work for this as well(among other things).

Bringing up the WSSM action got me thinking again about that. Those rifles are beginning to get a bit scarce around here, but they are getting even cheaper for the sporter weight models. Wondering if Kiff would make a couple of bolts with a 223/PPC/BR bolt face.

Might be money ahead to wait on the McGowen mini action, I was quite taken with that little gem at SHOT.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
fireball

Mini Action?????? Can you tell me a bit more about that????

Thanks

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boom

Oh YESSSSSSSS 223 bolt size!! Where was my mind???? 500 caliber that's where!!!! Jesus my brain has been bouncing back and forth-to and fro like jello in my skull today!!!!! Bolt face-magazine everything homer

Sorry, hard for me to get it downsized, or downloaded???

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
McGowen mini action

http://www.americangunllc.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a little martini cadet in 357 max with an 18" barrel. The extraction on a cadet is it's weakest feature, and my loads of a 170 grn cast at 2300fps and a 200 grn jacketed at 2050 worked and extracted perfectly. Potent little gun at just over 4#!

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
It was a slick little setup.

Used a barrel extension somewhat like an AR-15.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1043/m/601102167/p/1

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
351 self loader ???

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hacklebackmor:
351 self loader ???

Diff bullet size, rimmed and shorter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, you are right on all accounts; though not much of a rim and difference in bullet dia.

It is hard to come up with a wildcat that is all that different from something that already exists, I think that was my point in a round about way.

No intentions of degrading this project; just an observation.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ but we can be gentlmen. Wink
This is just a 357 maximum but rimless for ar15s and micro actions and this is quite easy and practicalp in terms of wildcatting.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I dont have any 223 cases. Can anyone measure the capacity of an opened up 1.6" 223 case? Maybe use an old cracked neck case... Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I dont have any 223 cases.

EekerOH my! homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What the dimensions on the 9mm mag?

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote