Find
Notify
Tools

what are the A R line of wildcats ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
I don,t suppose they are bassed on the RUM line shortened to standard length. Or short rum necked to 411 dia. Ide like to build up an Alaskan scout type rifle on the ruger bolt action. Kind of like the 376 Styer scout only in a dependable action. Thanks.. gb out.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
These are 2.55" RUM brass, very much improved, and necked to take .475, .458, and .416 bullets. They DROP in ruger mkII 7/300/338 win/rem actions.

http://www.weaponsmith.com/AR-rounds1.html

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Midway has A&B 416 Taylor barrels for the M-98, and Lee makes loading dies for cheap. That would be a very inexpensive way to get a large caliber going.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Glenn,
that's a great barrel to start with, for a low buck sporter... lord know's i've used, and will use, a bunch of them!!

if the dies where cheaper (one DAY, i hope) you can rechamber a 416 t to a 416 AR, and if you load to the same pressures as you loaded the T, you should get A LOT more MV. and not much feeding work

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I'm going back together with the CNC lathe. When I first did the conversion 2 years ago, I bought the stepper motors and drives too small(trying to save money), so occasionally it would skip a beat and not go where it was supposed to.(no feedback sensors) This time I have motors and drives that are bigger than I should need and just got in a 25 amp PS.
I built a jig for cutting the flutes on reamers and will see if I can get anything decent done. I bought a few of Lee's $9.99 die sets to start with for blanks. (after anealing of course).
This should make playing much more affordable with custom reamers and dies costing what they do.

ER Shaws barrels are pretty affordable also, but they don't do .475 and don't have any plans to. Frowner

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Glenn,
yeah, right now, cutrifle, pac-nor, and bauska are the sources... trying to get shilen and douglas on board.. ...

but, the 458, which everyone does, is superfun

i am in process of redoing my cnc mill, and i'll do my lathe after i get a spare... figure that would be wicked fun...

cnc is a blast to use, and building it can be challanging... on motors, 300oz servos, i am telling you, for any lathe under 16" swing

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn,t reply sooner. I got caught up on the Alaska forum. Boy that sounds perfact but .. Where I use the 416 Rem mag. and may make one or 2 more of them up just to have spares. But I really want to build a { Brn. Bear Scout rifle }. Which will be a 411 cal as I can use 41 mag pistol bullets for blasting. Haveing the extra powder capacity of the RUM case would make up for the 17 " barrel. That way if I put a Holland quick discharge muzzel break on I will still have close to an 18 " barrel length. And be able to do 2700 fps with a 300 gr spitzer.. Kill dem bears... So what would it take to get a barrel chambered and a set of reloading dies for a 411 AR.? Thank you .. gumboot out.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn,t reply sooner. I got caught up on the Alaska forum. Boy that sounds perfact but .. Where I use the 416 Rem mag. and may make one or 2 more of them up just to have spares. But I really want to build a { Brn. Bear Scout rifle }. Which will be a 411 cal as I can use 41 mag pistol bullets for blasting. Haveing the extra powder capacity of the RUM case would make up for the 17 " barrel. That way if I put a Holland quick discharge muzzel break on I will still have close to an 1

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hhmmm,

I don't have a .411 ... they are the .416, .458, and .470 .. and soon, a .500

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
and soon, a .500

jumping

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
How fast do you think the 470 would push a 400 gr. bullet from a 17 " barrel. gb out

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i would guess 2400 fps BOOM

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
close boomie

about 2300 and change...

with a fireball on the end of the barrel

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
..I really want to build a { Brn. Bear Scout rifle }. Which will be a 411 cal as I can use 41 mag pistol bullets for blasting.

Then think about the 458AR, then you can use the REmmy 405gr SP. Cheap plentifull and if not pushed much over 2100fps hold up pretty well. (deer, big pigs, and smallish black bears)

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
What are the AR line of wildcats?

I think they are the neatest, cheapest, easyest set of wildcats for people who want a big bore at a low budget with rock&roll performance.

And they fit just as nice in an expensive custom rig too.

Kudos to Jeffe on this one!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
What are the AR line of wildcats?

I think they are the neatest, cheapest, easyest set of wildcats for people who want a big bore at a low budget with rock&roll performance.

And they fit just as nice in an expensive custom rig too.

Kudos to Jeffe on this one!

Well said. I just picked up a beater ruger 7mmMag, got a cheap .458 barrel on the way. I will try and do the stock work and sights myself (rear peep and NECG up front). Do the blueing myself and I've got a 458 that will beat the lott by 100fps and for less than $900.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
ptaylor...the sperr 400 gr flat points will be great in that rig...should give you 30-06 trajectory Big Grin

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=448366

and they should hold up better than the rem 405's

el jeffe...these are a good candidate for the 45-70 nitro express with the first canalure thumb

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ptaylor,
yep... let's get that puppy rolling.. and that's exactly what i wanted to see... a semi custom, i-can-do-it-myself, feeds-like-a-hungrey-coonhound, DGR class rifle, and more affordable, with all the tunings, than a factory rifle...

but, in the hands of a custom guy, is easy to get feeding and make a very nice rifle.

boomie, i bet those are.. but the remmie 405 are 12.5 cents each... not 40

i know i am counting pennies... but that's 3 shots to one on training.

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
awww, thanks bent... i think i am blushing...

jeffe dancing

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
el jeffe...

you could use the rem for plinking and the speer for hoggs and have the same point of impact...

best of both worlds BOOM

remington

speer

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
well I,ll have to think about it . Would you be mad if I did one in 411.. It could be called the RED MISTER Scout ............ The 411 Red Mister Super Scout ..............I might be on to something there.... Have fun gumboot out......

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
heh.. bewildered. just wait for the ruger case for that, please.. dancing. there's no benefit, that i can tell, of a .411 bullet vs a .416, unless you want to shoot pistol bullets... but cast bullets are just as cheap

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,