THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Increase the dimensions of the 458 Lott by 10% and what do you get? The perfect 500

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Increase the dimensions of the 458 Lott by 10% and what do you get? The perfect 500
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
For wildcat discussion...

Increased the dimensions of the 458 Lott by 10% and what do you get? The perfect 500...

That is my assertion.

How do you get this you say?

Put a belt on the Rigby case.

But wait... that is the WBY case...No it is not.

If you add a belt to the Rigby case and taper to 2.35" and have a long neck to the max length of 2.95" for a ghost shouldered case you can trim to 2.85" and 2.95" depending on action length you would IMHO have the perfect 500 for both magnum length actions.

No rebate and no mixing belts and shoulders. This is the case would be for the purist.

If this is not the perfect magnum length 500, what is? I dare say the 500 AR has got the standard action length all tied up and needs no improvement and the 500 Mbogo could be argued as better but there is no other "perfect" belted 500. the 500 A2 has a rebate and mixes in a shoulder.

What say you?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, so, swage a belt, no rebate like the Lott, correct? Say a .025 drop, from the belt to case, brings us to roughly a .564 diameter.

That'll put you in ballpark of a longer 500 AR, give or take a couple of grains of water.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Correct Torque...
This idea is not going for maximum performance like the A2 or Mbogo but for a flawless cart design.
No rebate
.565" casehead
Ghost shoulder
416 rigby barrel swap
A 570 grain Woodleigh @ 2150-2300 would be the ideal velocity and this should do it.
Hornady/Ruger could adopt it for its DG line Big Grin

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also see CZ is expanding their line as well.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also wonder if Hubel458 pondered something similar? He is a straight case junky.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would not put anything past Mr. H and his abilities but he likes bigger things.

I think most would just do the 500A2 but why not go with a flawless design without an added shoulder and a rebate???

It would just take an order to make from Pete at Quality Cart to do.

500 Express?

A fun concept and splitting hairs but hey... that is what we do here Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who for the reamer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and you mean .498 Express, right? Wink

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
LOL, no... 500! Screw the libs! But in case they ask it is a 3" 32 Gauge shotgun with slugs Wink
Reamer? not yet... got to get some other kittens done first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomer - you need a proper vacation man... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Boomer - you need a proper vacation man... Big Grin

More time for himself, would give the man more time to think, of more carts!

I still believe his talent should be in R&D somewhere, like, oh, Grand Island, Nebraska!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I think Boom is a great fellow! He and I have been having some great conversations, exchanging ideas, I sent him some sample cases, bullets and such recently. But I will be honest, I am very pleased that he lives on the opposite side of the country from me! If he lived closer he would cost me a fortune building guns and cats!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ok here is what a scale version would look like. 458 Lott and 500 EXPRESS

Prelim sketch of spec dimensions

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
I think Boom is a great fellow! He and I have been having some great conversations, exchanging ideas, I sent him some sample cases, bullets and such recently. But I will be honest, I am very pleased that he lives on the opposite side of the country from me! If he lived closer he would cost me a fortune building guns and cats!

Michael

Thanks Michael458 beer
Hey... All you need is a .500" version of the 50-110 (2.4" case) to shoot out of thal 3" long 500 S&W BFR cylinder Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Ok here is what a scale version would look like. 458 Lott and 500 EXPRESS

Prelim sketch of spec dimensions

Looks good boom!! thumb

P.S., RIP needs a couple more projects. Cool

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks Torque...

I wonder how forming the belt with the dies would work on Rigby brass.

Anyone who has tries forming belts with dies want to chime in?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
boomy, we are buds, so I tell you these things directly...
belt is .602 on webby case

boomy, the rebate, on this case, is imaginary, as NO ONE complains about it, an you are now adding a belt to the 510 KX / 500 Mbogo -- both of which have proved there's no need for a belt on the full sized rigby cases .. though techincally, the Mbogo case can't be made from rigby case - as the rigby is too short.

in this case, thats like adding a belt to a 404 jeffe - just doesn't DO anything better.

It looks like a 550 express reduced 10%!! LOL

You can just order .602 casehead from pete, should cost $3.50 per case, in q1000, to get the spec brass and bunter.

then 300 from Manson to cut your reamer

then a cool grand to get a working, but not NICE rifle put together.. (enfield, not cz)

another 200 for dies..

and $5,000 later, you have a 495 A2 or 500AR, but requires a long action.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say...

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote