Find
Notify
Tools

NEW WILD CAT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll EyesHas anyone come up with, made and tested a new wildcat in the last year? Can you fill us in on the performance; ballistic or field? coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedNO ONE? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I'm working on it! Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i did alot of dev work on the 500 AR during the first half of 2009 .. and the 45/120 nitro .. but didn't start them then..

well, i DID get headstamped brass for the 416, 458, 470, and 500 AR during 2009 .. that count?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,
It's been a little less than a year since I picked up my .204 Wasp Ruger #1 from the gunsmith. I came up with the idea of necking down the .219 Wasp for my first .20 cal wildcat a couple of years ago. I ordered the Krieger 11" twist barrel in May, 08 and the reamer from PTG in June, 08. I did enough load testing last spring to find a fireforming load to use on PD's last May. I loaded 29.5 gr N135, 40 V-max jammed into the rifleing for 4040 fps. I was very happy with the performance on PD's its first time out. I was up 34 clicks from a 200 yd zero for this 634 yd hit.

I worked with the fireformed cases last summer and early fall and came up with a best load of 31.5 gr Varget, 39gr Blitzking for 4128 fps and groups in the .3's. Already have 400+ rounds loaded for this May. Here is a pic of the .204 Wasp along with my other 30-30 based wildcats. The .219 DW PDK was my first attempt at designing my on wildcat.

.204 Wasp, .219 Wasp, .219 DW PDK, .224 BRM, 6.5 Bullberry Imp., .30 Herrett
Dave

P.S. I mentioned the 34 clicks to show how flat it shoots. A typical 22-250 would need 45 clicks at that distance shooting a 55 NBT at 3650. A .223 shooting a 50 NBT at 3500 would need 56 clicks. My new load with the 39 BK at 4128 should need only 31 clicks of elevation. I know any of you varmint hunters with .20's have allready discovered how well they perform at long distance. I get drop charts from the free ballistics calculator on Big Game Info.com.

Posts: 18 | Location: N. Central Indiana | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingNice work and great dissplay.Thanks for sharing. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
bartsche

I did the 9.3 B&M last year.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6481065411&f=3221043

I did all the development on the 500 MDM at the beginning of last year, just about a year ago. It also went to the field. Although the first rounds were fired, and first rifle received 9/2008, I kept having stock issues so it was actually the beginning of 2009 before serious work was done on development of the cartridge.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3981035711&f=4711043

In fact just in the last month I changed some things on the original 500 MDM, by moving the ghost shoulder forward and shortening the neck.

I have a few planned for this years work, rifles being built now.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
bartsche

I did the 9.3 B&M last year.Michael

BOOM Great stuff!!! thumb Don't get around to Big Bore much at all. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Roger

Thanks, yes, I don't leave big bore forum much myself. I normally hang around up there!

I did the entire B&M series so far, 50 B&M (.500 caliber) 458-416-9.3. This year a 375 is being done by a B&M fan JohnOMS, rifle is already in the works. Others are the 500 MDM (.500) the 50 B&M Alaskan for levers (.500) 50 B&M Super Shorts, built on Win M70 WSSM actions, and the 50 B&M SA on a DPMS Semi.

This year there is a 458 B&M SA coming, another DPMS gun, and a 458 B&M Super Short along with the 375 B&M being done by JohnOMS.

Most of which you find here;

http://forums.accuratereloadin...9111029801&f=4711043

Just FYI

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingMichael, I'm totally impressed. Although I enjoy designing and building wildcats, as you do, we are in different leagues. I do it for shits and giggles, just something to be achiefing, but from what I see of your work you are dedicated, have real purpose and are proficient.If you would like to see my home brews PM me your E-Mail address. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Roger

Oh I think maybe you are being too modest! Anytime anyone does a wildcat it's an acomplishment way beyond the normal bounds of shooting. My cartridges are good cartridges, but the truth of the matter is that it is the entire package that really makes it come together. I designed the cartridge for the rifles I wanted. My goals were short, handy, fast and powerful big bore rifles, that I could carry all day, and fight with if I needed to. The fit the mission I ask of them perfectly, especially the 458 B&M, 50 B&M and the 500 MDM. All the others are really off shoots of the original process. I like them all, all have a purpose, the 9.3 will be my new medium in which to replace all 338-358 work with, and it's lighter, shorter, and easy to carry. Same with the 416s.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Bartsche, last year did not work out as planned, very busy new job and stayed in bed for 3 months with a smashed knee. But the .425 Fossdal will rise and shine during 2010. Pete at QualCart is still sitting on 300 new cases, and as soon as I get hold of them the progress and reports will come asap.
wave

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my 585 Short HE last year,First gun shown in
2nd picture, a Ruger 77. Cases 2.7" long, get power
like 577NE in regular bolt guns.cases headspace on the
mouth and extractor. We have 700 cases done and huge
a supply of 9000 cases to make more We have dies.Case in
the middle between a 458Win and my 585HE regular
case, in first pic. Have 3 guns done now, and abunch
of others in stages waiting on barrels, etc,
by guys around the country.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338-375 Ruger.

L - R
338 250 grain Swift A-Frame
375 Ruger case
338 250 grain Nosler partition

The design on the case was not extremely aggressive. I made the neck a bit longer than 'normal' to get a bit better grip on 250 grain bullets. It has more case taper than the parent case. I wanted to make sure it would extract even in quite hot conditions.

Shooting 3 shot groups pretty well at 100, . . . . .(sorry the photo is not crisp, but you can still see it well enough to get an idea of the accuracy ) -

(Commercial Mauser action, Bartlein barrel)

I started with R-19 and R-22. Both shot well. I need to slowly add some powder as I did not get to max load yet, and try some different powders.

The first time out I got -
2740 fps with a 250 grain Swift A-Frame
2860 fps with 225 grain Nosler Partition

Chronograph 12 ft. from muzzle.

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Lozano:
338-375 Ruger.

L - R
338 250 grain Swift A-Frame
375 Ruger case
338 250 grain Nosler partition
The first time out I got -
2740 fps with a 250 grain Swift A-Frame
2860 fps with 225 grain Nosler Partition
Chronograph 12 ft. from muzzle.

clapNice approach and display.I certainly like that strong looking straight grained stock.
WinkHope you later report on it's field performance. Thanks for sharing. beerroger

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well first there was the 400PDK. While I did do most of the work in 2008 it wasn't until 2009 that I got it together and started really shooting it. The 400PDK is the second from the left. Heavy working load 400gr bullets at 2267FPS. Not bad for a 2.65" 06 case. The second from the right is its little brother a 380PDK. Just getting around to firing the first rounds through it. Since this picture I've elected to use cylinder brass and not 280 brass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Phil
tell us mroe about the 338/375 ruger.. what's the case capacity, please...

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
Sorry, Bartsche, last year did not work out as planned, very busy new job and stayed in bed for 3 months with a smashed knee. But the .425 Fossdal will rise and shine during 2010. Pete at QualCart is still sitting on 300 new cases, and as soon as I get hold of them the progress and reports will come asap.
wave

thumblooking forward to it ,Bent. beerroger

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I'm working on a black powder wildcat cartridge, for a rolling block. It's not yet made up. CH may actually have suitable dies already, so it may not be original enough.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I am glad someone here is into old black powder stuff. Sometimes wildcatting is not about "Improving" something but going at a different angle. Black powder is fun and especially when you can pack a full 4 drams in a case Big Grin BOOM

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
THe 550 Flanged was a BPE first off! That's my avatar .. me touching one off with about 180gr of goex cartrdige

476AR,

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
It's a truly trivial one: a 9.3x74R necked down to take .357 pistol bullets. More or less, it's a scaled down 450/400. It uses common brass and cheap bullets, and doesn't consume much powder per shot. It should make for a satisfying boom. In the long run, it'd probably be cheaper to just do the 400, but I feel like doing something different.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
577 Snider 577/450 brass is cheap

So are 405 bullets

How about a black powder 577/450/405

450/400 performance

Rechamber a 405 win Ruger #1

What could anyone else ask for.

quote:
Originally posted by asdf:
It's a truly trivial one: a 9.3x74R necked down to take .357 pistol bullets. More or less, it's a scaled down 450/400. It uses common brass and cheap bullets, and doesn't consume much powder per shot. It should make for a satisfying boom. In the long run, it'd probably be cheaper to just do the 400, but I feel like doing something different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 204 Ruger necked to 6mm (6mm-222 Rem Mag Improved) 55gr NBT's at 3700fps 62gr VG's at 3500 fps I built it to shoot the VG's to hunt coyotes in lead free zones.. Great coyote rig.

After the first shot the rest are just noise

Posts: 66 | Location: Wetside, WA | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375win:
A 204 Ruger necked to 6mm (6mm-222 Rem Mag Improved) 55gr NBT's at 3700fps 62gr VG's at 3500 fps I built it to shoot the VG's to hunt coyotes in lead free zones.. Great coyote rig.

popcornHow fast was your twist? beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a 1-10.

375win

After the first shot the rest are just noise

Posts: 66 | Location: Wetside, WA | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote