THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    seriously...how cool would a 375,50-110 be???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

seriously...how cool would a 375,50-110 be???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
seriously...how cool would a 375,50-110 be in a lever action rifle???case length about 2.5 and lots of boom room...can someone run quickload on this Big Grin wave

starline said 50,000 psi is reasonable in either the 50-90 or 50-110 although he said the 50-110 would be stronger

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BS,
you can't run quickload without AT LEAST assumed case capacity... and saying "375/110" has a whole lot of assumptions to shoulder, taper, neck, etc....

sorry man...

a 375 flanged would be "cooler"

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
well the original taper(dont know i'll need to get that)
2.5"case length
we'll say 35degree angle
.35" neck
3.25 c.o.a.l.
how does that sound for a start???

thanks beer

p.s. i am open to suggestions too

jeffe...what would you use the flanged for?

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, so maybe I shouldn't say anything, but I remember reading in "Cartridges of the World" that the 375 flanged is a rimmed version of the 375 H&H. It is good for single shots and Doubles. I don't think it is generally loaded quite as hot as the belted version in factory loads, but I bet it can be. Your cartridge would basicaly be a rimmed 375 dakota, although the base diameter of the Dakota/404 jeffery is a little smaller. The Remington Ultra Mag fashioned to your dimensions comes a little closer, and a 2.5" version of the Winchester short mag would be exactly what you want, but rimmless. The three rimless alternatives I've described would all be very close in case capacity and performance at equal pressures. If you don't need a rim and properly headstamped brass apeals to you, just get your rifle chambered in 375 Dakota. I think that your 375/50-110 case would work in Siamese Mauser. You might want to keep pressures down in a single shot though. The tapered case of the 375 flanged is better for singles and doubles, where extraction might become and issue.

Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that the modern Marlin 1895's action is to short for your cartidge even when lengthened to the max by someone like M.L.(Mic) McPhierson, and the modern 1886's might be to short because most .375 bullet ogives are too long to give a short enough overal cartridge length. Last, but of greatest importance, is the fact that modern Marlin 1895's and Winchester 1886's are only rated to 44,000psi. I would suggest going to the .375 Alaskan. The 375 Alaskan is a necked up and blown out version of the 348 wichester. McGowen barrels in Illinois does them, and Fred Zeglin of Z-Hat custom does them as well. You will need a Winchester or Browing model 71 or a modern Winchester or Browning 1886. The Model 71 converts easiest, as the 348 winchester is based on the 50-110 case, and little if any feeding alterations are needed. You can get 375 Alaskan load data from "The Legacy of Levery Guns" available from Wolfe Publishing (The same guys who do Rifle and Handloader magazines). Hope this info helps. I have been a big bore lever action looney for several years.

Matt

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
About as cool as one necked to shoot .348" or .358 or .45 caliber bullets would be. If we necked it to .458", we could call it something catchy, like .450 Alaskan, or some such......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 50-110 brass is 2.4" long so it is a larger cart. the 450 alaskan is 2.1" so this is much better Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boom Stick,
How about a 50-140 case? It is 3.25 long and a .551 base, essentially a 3 1/4 in long Ultra Mag case.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6521043/m/203105173

already thought of it thumb...sounds good and can be used with black powder to kill buffs and stuff Big Grin

i think the 3 1/4 sharps straight with a 375 or 416 would be neet...get some funny looks too Eeker

lots of boom room Big Grin

obviously the 50-140 is on the far right

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
the 50-110 brass is 2.4" long so it is a larger cart. the 450 alaskan is 2.1" so this is much better Smiler

The .348 Winchester is made by necking down a .50/110 Win. case. The .450 Alaskan is made by necking that case back up again to .458". Recon some of the original length got lopped off in the various necking steps?? (The .450 Alaskan is 2.25" long; the .450 Ackley Improved is 2.19" long. Both made from the .348 Win. which is 2.255").

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
so the 375-110 would be roughly 3.25 c.o.a.l. with a fat short case...wonder what the case volume would be???

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
here is a good pic someone else posted...45-70, 50-110 and 50 alaskan...there is considerable more room and blah blah blah...you know where i am going but the pic speaks for itself...now imagine an efficient bottleneck design to a 375 or 416 bullet thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like agood idea but I really like is correctly head stamped brass !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i guess if you stamp "37" in front of the 50 you would have .3750-110 which technicly is correct Wink

i am guessing it would be close to 375 h+h power in a good old lever action Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i heard it would need to be 2.75 (ish) to work in the 1886 winchester lever action loaded to 44,000 psi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have just descrived the 375 alaskan. 270gr bullets at a little over 2500fps

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 110 case will have more capacity...it needs an 1886 rifle but it will do around 10% more than that i am guessing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet would you use? I am not aware of a flat point 375 bullet with a short enough ogive to use with a longer case than the Alaskan. I suppose you could move the shoulder higher on the Alaskan, but you would weeken bullet pull and not really gain much performance. The 348 Win loaded with 250's just barely fits, so what makes you think you can lengthen the case on a 375?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i was thinking they would use north fork flat nose or cup point solids...i have not made a dummy round so i dont know all the pitfalls yet but your comments are very helpful thumbi might need to swage my own bullets Big Grin i have a swage press i am expecting in a couple weeks. the safari lever gun is what makes me want to do this...it is my disease Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boomer, not to go off on a tangent but the .50/3-1/4" basic was incorporated into a double rifle with smokeless sometime back, fella said he got the idea from the .50 BPE case or some such. Rompin' stompin' loundenboomer it was too. IIRC, something like 700 grains at 2200 fps. May be a little off on the numbers, read about it about 10 years back. Would guess the .50-110 case would give a little less at double gun pressures, but not much. Ouch on both ends...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Boom
What if you could use a 375 RUM reamer and just run it in far enough for your chamber. Then you could get 375 RUM dies and cut them down so the cost of custom dies would be very small. I like it. show me how to get it to feed in a Win 94 and I'll jump on the wagon. I have a couple of extra 375 win barrels in the gun room.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmmm....interesting Smiler beer thumb

a 30 degree angle and cheap dies Big Grin

i an glad to see that a 375 H+H power lever action is apealing to more than just me thumb

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

sexy!!!!!!!!!!(in my best "fat bastard" voice)

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
That definatly is a very nice looking piece.

I'm playing with a different project, but I took a 338 RUM sizeing die, cut it down on the chop saw and then smoothed the base up on the lathe. The first piece of brass through was pushing a ring of brass towards the base. I then took the die to the lathe and cut a radius into the bottom and polished it with emery cloth while it was running. Now the brass goes in without any problems.
With the minimal body taper of the 375 RUM I think it would be totally doable with a stock reamer and cut down dies.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
beer thumb

thanks for the ideas...they realy help...it sounds like this is doable it just takes money (short supply right now Mad) time and tinkering...i know it is easier to buy a 375 h+h but this is more fun plus it will come out of one sexy old school lever rifle Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

sexy!!!!!!!!!!(in my best "fat bastard" voice)

Sexy, maybe. But with a buttplate like that, guaranteed to cut yer shoulder off!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
o.k....add a kick-eeze pad...i am not that much a purist thumb

it will still be "so sexay"(fat bastard voice) thumb

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=295266

here are the 375 flat nose bullets i would have to use before i made my own

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
This has been kicked around in other places, but a 9mm and 223 case is about the right size to shoot in a .375 something. I'm thinking, cut off some 223 cases, pour with melted wheel weights and swage to form a nose. Cheap heavy bullets?? Or just lathe turn some to fit your requirements.

When I get a chance, I'm going to load and shoot some in the 375 win.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hmm... my unrelated 2¢. Whatever makes you happy. But stop stealing bandwidth.

"He who has it, would do well to have it as if he did not have it."

http://www.Savage24.com

.45 Throats for Pete's sake. http://www.cylindersmith.com

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote