New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 British
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Gents
Any of you gentlemen know about any wildcats developed on the the 303 British??

I imagine that 303 British would be a good "foundation" for a good medium bore rimmed hunting / sporting caliber!!!

// voyager

Posts: 45 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the .303 has been the parent case for many wild cats here in Auz for many years probarly the most popular being the 25-303 .Most of these "wildcats " had factory ammo made for them some years ago !But there were about 5 types of .22 -303 ,243-303 ,25-303 ,6.5-303 ,270-303 ,303 EPPS,35-303 that I know of & have used & owned many of them over the years.

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Ontario Canada web site 303british.com
It has an excellent paperbook which lists many, many of the 303 based wildcats.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by voyager:
Hi Gents
Any of you gentlemen know about any wildcats developed on the the 303 British??

I imagine that 303 British would be a good "foundation" for a good medium bore rimmed hunting / sporting caliber!!!// voyager

I understand that the Aussies made a lot of them in different calibers, as did Elwood Epps of Canada. The Epps .303-based wildcats I have seen are all nice, very interesting cartridge, particularly when chambered in a P14 rather than a "Smelly".

As a matter of fact, in a strong action, the .303 Improved can rival a FACTORY-LOADED.300 H&H (as can the .30/40 AI).

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i saw the title on this one.. and thought
:"hmm, now there's a diehard wildcat hater, if he's still calling the 303 a wildcat"..

ditto on the epps.. blow it out, improve it, neck it around, and it can be about the same boiler room.

el deguello,
i wound up in a nasty conversation over a statement i made just like yours, but on the 375...

and yep, a skilled handloader can work those rounds to match NOMINAL/Standard 3XX HH balistics ... (and the part this is naturally implied) but, of course, that same skill could make the HH go faster too.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
deciple-of-keith,
Any experience with the 303-35? I went cold but am now reconsidering getting Keith Bridgeman to put a 303-35 together for me. Just not sure whether he can make me a FL resizing die.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
The .303 Epps is probably the best heard of in the U.S. It's basically an improved case.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
deciple-of-keith,
Any experience with the 303-35? I went cold but am now reconsidering getting Keith Bridgeman to put a 303-35 together for me. Just not sure whether he can make me a FL resizing die.
Cheers...
Con

I'm having a .303/25 done this spring. Lyman and C4HD makes dies.

Posts: 59 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deciple-of-keith:
Yes the .303 has been the parent case for many wild cats here in Auz for many years probarly the most popular being the 25-303 .Most of these "wildcats " had factory ammo made for them some years ago !But there were about 5 types of .22 -303 ,243-303 ,25-303 ,6.5-303 ,270-303 ,303 EPPS,35-303 that I know of & have used & owned many of them over the years.

tera
Whether it its measurement of these wildcat what the casings its are shortened or not

One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
Where can I get data on the .303 Improved?

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tera
Whether it its measurement of these wildcat what the casings its are shortened or not[/QUOTE]

tera,
Finding standardised measurements for the 303 wildcats is very hard. The Australian wildcats with the word "Falcon" in them tended to be the .303 case necked down eg. "303/22 Falcon". I've just bought a 303/25 and it uses a shortened case. Many also were "improved" designs with less body taper, sharper shoulders or both.
Its a very confusing area.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tera:
quote:
Originally posted by deciple-of-keith:

tera
Whether it its measurement of these wildcat what the casings its are shortened or not

I think that some of the smaller-caliber Epps wildcats on the 303 case were shortened, but the larger aliber ones just had the full-length case shoulders blown out and forward to hold more powder.

Dimensios of some wildcat cartridges aree conmtined in P.O. Ackley's HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTER & RELOADERS; others are included in CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote