THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    If you could only have only ONE wildcat...what would it be?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could only have only ONE wildcat...what would it be?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAO:
What case would you pick to wildcat if you could pick only one?

The question was "what case" - not what wildcat.

I have had wildcat chamberings, but currently only two. One is a 9.3x338 and the other is a 323 Hollis, which isn't finished. It's tempting to choose the belted magnum case. It's also tempting to choose the Ruger 375 case, because it's big and non-belted.

Choosing only one case brings up issues which need answers, such as why wildcat? Assume the answer is to be different. That's not easy considering there are practically no niches or gaps to fill between the factory chamberings.

The one case that catches my attention is the 376 Steyr. Not because it fills a void, but because it's different, and good, and adequate, and fits a variety of actions, with some modifications. It would be simple to wildcat too because it would all be in the neck diameter. I think bullet diameters from .243 to .423 would work, so that's a large variety.

I believe that the 376 Steyr case offers about as much as a wildcatter could hope for, especially considering that most wildcats are done for the sake of wildcatting, not to do something that the factory chamberings already don't do.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
338-06

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That would be the 6mm/.250 Savage cartridge! I had a .260 Remington in a Remington 40XB Thumbhole Rangemaster that I didn't care for so I had George Herold turn it into a 6mm/.250. Also had the stock installed with the aluminum posts (I forget what they're called!) If I can ever get out to the range with it, it should shoot like a house-a-fire! Eeker

Posts: 20 | Location: Littlestown, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dmickey:
That would be the 6mm/.250 Savage cartridge! I had a .260 Remington in a Remington 40XB Thumbhole Rangemaster that I didn't care for so I had George Herold turn it into a 6mm/.250. Also had the stock installed with the aluminum posts (I forget what they're called!) If I can ever get out to the range with it, it should shoot like a house-a-fire! Eeker

I believe your are referring to aluminum "pillars". Anyway, that is a very good, very accurate cartridge. One version of it was called the 6 m/m Donaldson Ace (rimless) about 50 years ago, IIRC. I have a reamer set for it and if I ever get a lathe again after our recent move here, also have a 6m/m barrel waiting to be chambered for it.

I think you will fall in love with yours.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

It's also tempting to choose the Ruger 375 case, because it's big and non-belted.

Choosing only one case brings up issues which need answers, such as why wildcat? Assume the answer is to be different. That's not easy considering there are practically no niches or gaps to fill between the factory chamberings.

The one case that catches my attention is the 376 Steyr. Not because it fills a void, but because it's different, and good, and adequate, and fits a variety of actions, with some modifications. It would be simple to wildcat too because it would all be in the neck diameter. I think bullet diameters from .243 to .423 would work, so that's a large variety.

I believe that the 376 Steyr case offers about as much as a wildcatter could hope for, especially considering that most wildcats are done for the sake of wildcatting, not to do something that the factory chamberings already don't do.

KB

Great idea Kabluewy!!

Personally I think your concept of a .423/.376 Steyr is also a very useful one, in addition to being "different". Most American shooters may not be into the full .404 Jeffery recoil level and above. But the .376 case opened to .423 might just fit their pistol!

It could be a sort of modern equivalent of the 10.75 x68 Mauser, which I found with 347 gr. bullet factory SN ammo to recoil about like a warmish hand-loaded .45-70.

A .375 Ruger bolt rifle rebarreled to that round should feed pretty well, I'd guess. Of course, a conventional Mauser '98 could be made to do so too.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
One case you say?

I would say the 30/06/

It give me all the 06 based wildcats from the 6/06 up through 400 Whelen as well as all wildcats based upon the 7mm Mauser/257 Roberts case and the ones based on the 250 Savage case. I can also do any BR based cases as well.

I agree with Hasher.

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
One case you say?

I would say the 30/06/

dancingAnd how many tap dancers can you get on the head of a pin? .308 and .243 cases are easier to come by now days than 06. horseroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I thought a 423-376 would be cool as heck. Maybe a 10.75 x 57 based on the steyr case.

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

It's also tempting to choose the Ruger 375 case, because it's big and non-belted.

KB

Great idea Kabluewy!!

Personally I think your concept of a .423/.376 Steyr is also a very useful one, in addition to being "different". Most American shooters may not be into the full .404 Jeffery recoil level and above. But the .376 case opened to .423 might just fit their pistol!

It could be a sort of modern equivalent of the 10.75 x68 Mauser, which I found with 347 gr. bullet factory SN ammo to recoil about like a warmish hand-loaded .45-70.

A .375 Ruger bolt rifle rebarreled to that round should feed pretty well, I'd guess. Of course, a conventional Mauser '98 could be made to do so too.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 375 case is a great one, potentially giving 'long H&H' capacity to rounds that will fit in a standard length 2.5"-2.6" case. A .338 in such a case becomes a 340 Weatherby in ballistics.

However, a more distinguished case would be the Rigby//Lapua, with .589" body at head, that could be cut to 2.5"-2.6". Such a case would basically equal the RUM, but in a standard length case.

The main thing to look for is a niche that is not already covered by standard calibres in non-custom rifles.

* The 49-10 (.500 short Rigby/Lapua) of Ron Berry comes to mind as an admirable niche-filler. This is funtionally equivalent to the 500 AccRel but can use the new .500" bullets developed by McCoury, Rose, and Cutting Edge.

** A hot, 9lb, 338 mountain rifle with maybe a thin 24" barrel could probably do RUM ballistics and would be pretty nice for elk with 225 grain TTSX bullets or 225 Cutting Edge (if loaded singly). If rechambering an inexpensive rifle, then the Ruger Hawkeye should provide more than enough strength. The CZ 550 magnum has the strength but also has extra length and a tad of weight that is best utilized in the long-magnum rounds (338 Excalibre~338/378).

The only disadvantage would be givng up a round in magazine capacity, but that is hardly an issue when hunting. Even 2+1 is more fire-power than people can use in hunting situations. One can always reload if one needs to start tracking.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
338-06AI or non AI. This thing can do it all without being overkill. And extremely efficient. Cheers.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way wildcats seem to be tending these days, it seems to be time to start dreaming about a .700/.50 BMG AI, on a sporterized Lahti or Boys action. Wink

Lots of available powders, brass, and primers. Bullets might be a bit of a problem, but Hey!, there's another niche market for some Coues Deer Hunt equipment supplier to fill and become rich. rotflmo

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I would go for a 458 WinMag Ackley Improved

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it; and for myself it's the .338-06 AI.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
'06 Case

There's three Ive always had intrest in but never put together.
30-40 AI
6.5-06
8mm-06 AI Would be curious to see some newer load data on this one.

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
A 303-06?

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a 500 Accurate Reloader.

we'll nickname it Kichaa mia tano 'crazy 500'
since it should be around 9 lbs on the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, with a scope!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first choice is a 6.5-06.
I have owned one for about 20 years now and I still love itSmiler
If I should build a new wildcat I will probably use the 375 Ruger case to make one.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norwegianwoods:
My first choice is a 6.5-06.
I have owned one for about 20 years now and I still love itSmiler
If I should build a new wildcat I will probably use the 375 Ruger case to make one.

Yes, jack o'connor loved his 6.8-06, but the really exciting case for cartridge development is the 375 Ruger. It was an idea that should have happened long ago before all those belted this and thats. The 375Ruger also avoids the rebated head of the RUM.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The only Wildcat I have right now is the 257 AI. But a 7X57 AI would be nice, or perhaps a 6.5/284.

I dont know why, but for some reason Ive found myself considering an 8mm/338 on more than a couple occasions.. Just seems like an intresting load too me.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
How about a 22WMR redone to short mag? Or a 45-70 AI.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be and is the 6x45, its the only wildcat I know off that isn't duplicated by a factory round..and the only Wildcat I have had in many years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel left out - As I don't have a need for a wildcat.

The newest cartridge I've ever owned was introduced in 1956!

The only wildcat I have and ever want is my 35 Whelen. By the way, anyone know when it was introduced?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
I feel left out - As I don't have a need for a wildcat.

The newest cartridge I've ever owned was introduced in 1956!

The only wildcat I have and ever want is my 35 Whelen. By the way, anyone know when it was introduced?

fishingFactory introduction in 1987.
Wildcated a little before or after 1920. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Thank You Sir. beer beer The 1920 date was the one I was looking for. We all know how anal American arms and cartridge companies are in regards to 35 caliber cartridges.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right-OK if you are going to start mentioning the .35's, my favourite is the .358 STA originated by Layne Simpson and Kenny Jarrett. I have two that my son, grandsons and I shoot. Trully awesome Elk and anything in Alaska round. With 225-250 and 270 North Forks loaded hot, there is not much it will not take down. The range of bullets go from 185 grains to 310. It also loved Africa on the plains of the Selous. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only one case to wildcat?
What an unusual question. What kind of a man thinks like this?
Sick I say.

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One case - 280 Ackley

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
One case?
Depends on the bore.
For over .40 the Rigby.
For smaller stuff, maybe the 375 Ruger.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, reading this thread with all these exotic wildcats makes me feel so ordinary with my 338-06 AI. Seriously though, it's a gold mine of information, threads like this. Cheers.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the .275 H&H case and make a .276 Dubiel out of it with a shoulder angle change and bullet dia. change. You could 'cat it to a .25, .30, & 338 as well, even a .270 dia. or .35, but a little small for .375 dia.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagerboy:
Man, reading this thread with all these exotic wildcats makes me feel so ordinary with my 338-06 AI. Seriously though, it's a gold mine of information, threads like this. Cheers.

Well, it was your wildcat 338-06 ballistics that led Ruger to think that a short Ruger case with similar capacity would fill a niche.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'd be content with the 375 Whelen. It's simple to make, with cast bullets it will kill anything in the new world.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
.280 AI

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
After a long think; 6.5mm R-Bar! clap roger

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I would be torn between my 17 ack hornet or my 30 Reece (38 special necked down to 30 cal)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order of preference:

1. 30-BR, or
2. 30-PPC, or
3. 8mm/06 AI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
395 CheyTac

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
219 Donaldson Wasp. No question.

Posts: 31 | Location: Western West Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
A 416 rigby Ackley improved or a 460 Wheterby Ackley impreoved.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
A 416 rigby Ackley improved or a 460 Wheterby Ackley impreoved.

I don't understand the need for a teensy-weeny extra capacity in the big bores when most people are already underloading these cartridges and don't even use the capacity that they have. If they are loading a Rigby to 6100-6200 ftlbs and want 6300-6400ftlbs, then I'll listen. But a little extra freebore would allow the Rigby to do the factory 416Weatherby stats anyway.

For the extra effort of a wildcat a person should attempt to achieve at least some point of advantage, whether better ballistics, accuracy, or carryability.

Meself? I've voted with my feet for the 500 AccR. It equals and can better factory 500 Jeffrey and factory 505 Gibbs ballistics, but does so in a shorter, standard action for easier carryability and a relatively inexpensive build. A used Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan can simply be rebarreled, with the bolt-face, extractor, and rails modified by a smithy. The 500 AccR is the ultimate common man's STOPPER and all-around hunter.

It's the only wildcat that I see in my future. The fact that demand will probably not turn it into a factory offering is not my problem. It's the ultimate, practical 500 cal.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+