Find
Notify
Tools

Building that 375/303 Wildcat!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
My project has begun! I shall be boring out that old 303 barrel and cutting the rifling myself! The target is a 375/303 for reasons of not wanting too much recoil but having a 'straight' walled case keeping the original body taper. Bigger is tempting because it would be easier to make a bigger rifling cutter! My first step will be to build a rifling attachment for one of our lathes. Because I want to shoot cast lead bullets, I shall be giving it four grooves. I have been thinking of the two-groove Lee Enfield type bore which swages the bullet to bore diameter with rifling 'ridges'. We'll see when it comes to cutter time! My thinking here is that this method removes the least amount of material, making it that much easier to cut.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Have fun!
Post lots of pics of the stages please...
Those 225 grain 375 projectiles will be good for this one..

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornJust a question: Boom Stick , why don't you get that bsflagpolitical shit off your signature? popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornJust a question: Boom Stick , why don't you get that bsflagpolitical shit off your signature? popcornroger

Because I like using my 1st and 2nd amendments Big Grin

You could put one in yours...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what are you building it on ? I have ap14 in 303 epps that i am considering rechambering to a 300 win case firing a 215 grn 303 projectile.

Posts: 157 | Location: N.E. Victoria Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
what are you building it on ? I have ap14 in 303 epps that i am considering rechambering to a 300 win case firing a 215 grn 303 projectile.
I plan on using an old Lee Enfield - a Long Tom. Oh, I am not looking for high performance, just dead pigs and deer!

If you already have a 303 Epps on a P14, you are pretty close to 'enough' performance already! Have you tried loading the Epp's to higher working pressure? If you lube the cases and headspace on the shoulder your case life should be quite good. Just wondering. The P14 is such a strong action! But 303 Win Mag does make sense! thumb It's just that a hot 303 Epp's could be fun too. Wink You would be able to get that bullet to around 2500fps I should imagine. I have a few 215gr projectiles.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Any tips on boring and reaming the barrel out prior to cutting the rifling?

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Any tips on boring ?

space No, but why do you have an avatar of Bruce Willis?

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My question, how do you rifle a barrel with a normal lathe?! I didn't know that was possible. Cool project you got going here though! Seems to be a lot of .375 cartridges popping up recently Big Grin

Posts: 12 | Location: Ky | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, but why do you have an avatar of Bruce Willis?
Big GrinYou want to see me clean shaven and with short hair! Big Grin I didn't think that picture looked like him, though. Smiler
quote:
how do you rifle a barrel with a normal lathe?! I didn't know that was possible.
Not normally no, but the idea is to use the lathe to drive the rifling cutter. What I have to do is make up a geared drive to rotate the head while the cutter is being drawn through. Ideas given to me are to use a fixed chain to rotate the input shaft of a worm drive. The only one I have that would work at the moment would have to be geared up quite a bit. That's an indexing head for a mill. Perfect but for the gear ratio. But you have given me an idea to drive the indexing head shaft via the auto feed shaft. Mmmmm.... thanks! Roll Eyes

Say, would I be correct in thinking I could use 38-55 Winchester load data for cast bullets in my 375/303?

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .38/55 is about the same length and the case is a little smaller in diameter. Pressure for the .38-55 is way lower than the .303.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your cartridge will be the same as the 37 Rimmed. I'm not sure where you'd find loading data but I'd guess that high end 375 Winchester loads would be a good starting place.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think your cartridge will be the same as the 37 Rimmed.

Thanks for that. The 37 Rimmed turns out to be a 30-40 Krag case for-runner or spin-off. For all intents and purposes the same. Interesting!

My cartridge will not have the 'shoulder' as shown in the 37 Rimmed drawing.

I can't understand why the 30-40 Krag hasn't retained a place with cast bullet shooters - it just seems to be an ideal case design for that.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
My cartridge will not have the 'shoulder' as shown in the 37 Rimmed drawing. thumbRoger thumb

I can't understand why the 30-40 Krag hasn't retained a place with cast bullet shooters - it just seems to be an ideal case design for that.

Propably for many of the same resons I can't understand why every cast gas checked bullet shooter don't own at least three short barreled, slide action 35 Remingtons. OK that problem is solved. homer

Gun sales were and are marketing driven and it's supporters are fickel and easily lead. shockerroger

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
bartsche, I haven't been able to open the file you sent me on barrel length and stuff. I am at the point on deciding how long (or short, really) to make my barrel. I have cut the barrel down t0 20 1/2 inches. I don't want to have to bore and ream and rifle more than necessary. I cannot help thinking I might have to cut down the last bit of muzzle after rifling. This thing is likely to have a 50mm (2 inch) extension of the barrel for the suppressor/muzzle break which will be a overbarrel type. That will take care of recoil and muzzle blast. I am wanting to achieve around 2200fps with a 250gr bullet and perhaps 1800fps with 300gr cast or 250gr cast. Pressure limit is 43,000 CUP. (For cast, that would be more like 35,000 CUP I should think). Would an 18 inch or shorter barrel give me that?
quote:
... three short barreled, slide action 35 Remingtons ...
You have three of those? My Dad hunted Cape Buffalo with one of those! He loved it! thumb Do you have any pics you could share? I would love to see what he hunted with looked like.

beer

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
bartsche, I haven't been able to open the file you sent me on barrel length and stuff. I am at the point on deciding how long (or short, really) to make my barrel. I have cut the barrel down t0 20 1/2 inches. I don't want to have to bore and ream and rifle more than necessary. I cannot help thinking I might have to cut down the last bit of muzzle after rifling. This thing is likely to have a 50mm (2 inch) extension of the barrel for the suppressor/muzzle break which will be a overbarrel type. That will take care of recoil and muzzle blast. I am wanting to achieve around 2200fps with a 250gr bullet and perhaps 1800fps with 300gr cast or 250gr cast. Pressure limit is 43,000 CUP. (For cast, that would be more like 35,000 CUP I should think). Would an 18 inch or shorter barrel give me that?
quote:
... three short barreled, slide action 35 Remingtons ...
You have three of those? beer

ConfusedSorry "Kiwi"(term of endearment)I didn't say I even had one. Read again.Actually the implication was that in a 35 cal the capacity of the 35 Rem.is just about optimum for driving a 300 gr. gas checked bullet at its max. velocity.That that cartridge made its fame in a slide action in part is just a big plus. thumb
I'll check what I sent you but off hand there are no bells ringing. It seems reasonable that a 20" light barrel should get the job done nicely in a walk around modified Enfield. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't say I even had one.
I was just making sure (and hoping!)Roll Eyes

I am planning on going down to 18 inches then adding 2 inches with the suppressor overhang. Thanks! (I have done a trial boring out using the off-cut piece of barrel. I have the means now to set the twist rate using our mill. I hope to do the boring next week if other projects don't intervene.)
beer

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Well folks, the recession is biting hard! I could be next! This means my 375/303 project will get shelved untill things pick up. Pity! Oh well, at least I still have my other rifles to hunt and play with. thumb

I may have to move if I lose my position but I'm sure I'll get back on line eventually. (I'll be finding out on Tuesday who gets axed).

beer

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well folks, the recession is biting hard! I could be next! This means my 375/303 project will get shelved untill things pick up. Pity! Oh well, at least I still have my other rifles to hunt and play with. thumb

I may have to move if I lose my position but I'm sure I'll get back on line eventually. (I'll be finding out on Tuesday who gets axed).

beer

lolMy prayers go with you. Frownerroger

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thank you bartsche. Of course there is an upside - none of my guns are actually worth much so I won't be selling them off! Roll Eyes

I took one of my workmates out on a hunt yesterday - he is new to hunting and I have just helped him find a rifle (a nicely sporterised No4 Lee Enfield) and both he and I were very pleased with our No4's. He had shortened his barrel and this proved to be a great advantage in our bush. He only got mut in the muzzle once. Mine did well with zero mud - my muzzle device did it's job splendidly! But, I did collect a whole lot of gunk in my action. I now want to complete my project one way or the other as it is a MkI which means it has a bolt cover. Maybe I can lap the bore out to 8mm and get it to shoot straight at bush ranges. (Think of Rambo in the jungle or the old Tarzan in the jungle movies - in the rain! It's fun and cold and wet).

Hey, you know, thinking about it, I am still an good terms with my employers so maybe they would let me come in and complete my projects. Mmmm ..... worth asking!

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
I think your cartridge will be the same as the 37 Rimmed ...... Ray
Thinking about this, would it be an idea to use this principle to allow for the 'dough-nut' that inevitably forms when opening out a 303 Brit case to 375? That way, I would not have to worry about it's presence as it would be in the new 'shoulder'.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate watching with interest, just recently i finished a 303-35 (.35 territorian), 20" barrel with 1-16 twist (to aid in shooting GC cast), built on a No4 savage action.

The 303-375 was a close second as far as calibre choice though.

Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote