New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any wildcats based on the 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a question, has the 375 H&H ever been necked down to a 338 or up to say 416 or 458?

If so, what were the results?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oscar
posted Hide Post
Hello Rae59,

Yes, it has been altered to form virtually every form/caliber that exists.

If you are referring to if the .375 H&H has been necked up or down with out any other changes, again yes.It is a very versatile case and much loved for conversion.As a matter of fact they are to numerous to just list.If you are looking for a conversion to a specific caliber try the search function for the boards it may answer your question faster than you may think.

To just answer your caliber question about the .338,416 &.458 just one example for each would be a .340 Weatherby,.416 Remington & .458 Lott.Each of these were originally designed from the base case .375 H&H. Oscar

Posts: 79 | Location: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes.. every belted case, except those based on the 460 weatherny case, and the 224 weatherby, use the 375 hh case as a basis ... 6.5 rem mag to 470 capstick

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry guys, I meant simply necking up or down without any other changes to the case shape. I know the long history of all of the magnums but I do not consider a nearly 90 degree case wall to case face design to be of the same design or same case for that matter. I have always felt that the beauty of the 375 H&H design WAS the tapered & more or less straight wall case. Less chance of hang fires with reduced loads, a good even pressure build up, etc.,etc.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .244 H&H might just as well be considered a "wildcat" in my opinion.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Donnelly's Handloaders manual, Wildcats of the world, P.P. Ackley's books, an email to any one of the reamer makers or die makers, or a search on the web for a specific caliber wildcat could answer your question.

I think that case has been run over so many times by so many people that you should be able to find one to fit your purposes.

Yes, I think it is an excellent case to work with also...as is just necked up or down without any other changes...as already been done.

It opens up the can of worms when talking about the "long, slow taper of the case and shoulder" vs "little case taper and sharp shoulder angle". Both have their pros and cons.

Plus the fact you can have your own reamer and dies made however YOU want it designed...for a 300 dollar bill.

The 375 H&H necked down to 338 is, for all intents a purposes, the wildcat 338/300 H&H magnum...as the 300 H&H is the parent case for the 375 H&H.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rae,
your question and the restatement are kind of contradictory .. you see, you can't maintain the 375HH taper and go larger than 423 bullets .. so, maintaining that taper, no, no one has done a 458 .. its not possible .. in fact, doing th e423 also isn't "possible" as it removed the neck .. so a 416 with a whee ghost of a shoulder, or better still, the 400 HH, might do what you ask ...

All that aside ... if you can MAKE it from a 375 case, then it is logically based on the case, design and bias excluded. a 6.5 rem is equally based off the HH case as a 400 HH is .. thoughts and design and problems resolved are different, but they can be made from that case.
I just disagree that they "aren't the same" ..

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Can anyone tell me what vel they are getting from a 375H&H necked down as it is to a 338 with a 250 grain bullet?
2.I assume the taper would remain in this instance.
3.How does one go about building such a wildcat rifle?

Thanks

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Capacity would put you about half way between the 338Wmag and 340Wby. A touch smaller than the 338-375Ruger that is already being made.

Your wildcat make the neck anything you want but it could be left the same which would just make the neck a little shorter.

Reamer would be needed $100-150 then when your are done custom dies for another $150+/-

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:

...as the 300 H&H is the parent case for the 375 H&H.

I think you made this statement in error. It is my understanding that quite the opposite occured. At least as per "Cartridges of The World", the 300 H&H was the offspring of the 375 H&H, and by a few years. In other words: THE 375 H&H WAS THERE FIRST. At least in the Holland line-up.

As far as dies, reamers, etc. I am not interested, at least not yet, in any wildcat of any kind! I merely asked if there was a wildcat cartridge/case based on the 375 H&H. I merely forgot to add with the same case taper, shoulder location, blah,blah,blah. Also as far as necking up and over the shoulder width, was not the original 45/70 govt. a inward tapered case that necked back out about mid-case length. I have never measured one but have one in my collection and it definately has a smaller middle diameter than the mouth. I don't know about going to a .458 dia. but I think you get the general drift of my question now.

One of Us
Picture of oscar
posted Hide Post
Hello Rae59,

There is one that I have often thought of having made, the .350 Griffin&Howe. If I am not mistaken it is the .375 necked down to .358 caliber.

I think it would make a wonderful general purpose rifle and was popular at one time prior to WW11. Oscar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oscar:
Hello Rae59,

There is one that I have often thought of having made, the .350 Griffin&Howe. If I am not mistaken it is the .375 necked down to .358 caliber.

I think it would make a wonderful general purpose rifle and was popular at one time prior to WW11. Oscar.

Hello Oscar, That is a interesting idea. I will check it out. It should be in the Cart. of the World book.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
You're right...I knew that...definitely went Alz-himers there...of course it was the keyboard that did it...or Murphy...or the devil made me do it. Hahahahahaha Whoops.

The 338-300 H&H has about 89 gr H20, the 340 Weatherby about 96 gr.

There have been several 35's made on the case...Apex and Ackely versions, plus several 2.5" versons. Excellent caliber.

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
375 H&H --> 8mm Rem Mag --> 7mm STW --> 257 STW

375 H&H --> 8mm Rem Mag --> 358 STA

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
No, Never yet.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
May I humbly suggest rather a 338 or 7mm based on the 300 HH

Same taper and shoulder angle

Pretty much the same capacity as the 7 mag and the 338 Win but more elegant like a long legged sexy blonde that winks at you.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oscar
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm......

A .338-.300 H&H now that does sound sexy!

Well one thing at a time.

One of Us
Picture of oscar
posted Hide Post
Just remembered, there is the .334 OKH same thing as a .338-.300 H&H but in .333 caliber.

There probably is a .338 version out ther somewhere.The OKH was a fairly good round from what I read. Oscar

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think a 300/7 H&H or 300/338 H&H would look classy as hell but no better than the 338 win mag and 7 rem mag counterparts. But this is all about style right? Does the world need another animal hunted with a 7 rem bought at wall mart???

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 necked up with no other intentional changes to the case? Look at the next thread down Wink

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6521043/m/660101779

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
375 necked up with no other intentional changes to the case? Look at the next thread down Wink

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6521043/m/660101779

I saw the thread come up the line after this one got rolling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
May I humbly suggest rather a 338 or 7mm based on the 300 HH

Same taper and shoulder angle

Pretty much the same capacity as the 7 mag and the 338 Win but more elegant like a long legged sexy blonde that winks at you.

We could call it a .275 Holland and Holland Magnum.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oscar:
Just remembered, there is the .334 OKH same thing as a .338-.300 H&H but in .333 caliber.

There probably is a .338 version out ther somewhere.The OKH was a fairly good round from what I read. Oscar

There is also the .333G&H Supermag which is pretty much the same as the .334OKH.
I may be the only owner of this rare and unknown chambering! rotflmo
BTW, the 350G&H is a great cartridge!
.375 - .350 - .300

Box of .350 G&H

Almost fotgot, the .280 Dubiel is also a great cartridge based on the 300H&H case - oh yeah, the 300 Hoffman too...

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .334OKH has already been mentioned and is what I feel would make a really good .338 cartridge.

IMHO, the taper on the case doesn't have nearly as much to do with how the powder burns and all that B.S. It has everything to do with case extraction. If you look at the drawings for the 7x57 you see the obvious case taper, and a slight taper on the neck as well. This is so that as soon as the case relaxes after firing and the bolt is turned, there is zero resistance and drag so the case can be easily extracted.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400h&h introduced 2003.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also as far as necking up and over the shoulder width, was not the original 45/70 govt. a inward tapered case that necked back out about mid-case length. I have never measured one but have one in my collection and it definately has a smaller middle diameter than the mouth. I don't know about going to a .458 dia. but I think you get the general drift of my question now.

It would be possible to make a cartridge as you describe, but not a rifle chamber. The cartridge can not be smaller in the middle than the neck. You couldn't get it in.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
For long neck case fanatics it would be funny to neck the 300 HH to 375 for a long neck 375 HH or trim the neck back to make a "mini" 375 HH for 06 length actions. Form 375 headstamped brass and nobody will know Smiler
Talk about a useless wildcat lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very few wildcats based on the 375 H&H or on the 300 H&H mantain the original taper and shoulder.Wildcats based on those cases are usually fireformed to reduce body taper and sharpen the shoulder.

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
Everybody wants to tweak or adjust the 375hh in my view is almost perfect. you can shoot end to end on 8 ft. griz with medium recoil verry accurate. my budys made his 375 ai now its almost the same as 375 ultra after all how dead can dead be did you want to kill the one next to it to. most people dont shoot prarie dogs with a 375. personly I shoot two 280AI 35whelen AI love both of them!

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Talk about a useless wildcat lol

WOW

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Howdy gents,

I posted this question in the Gunsmithing section then saw this discussion. So was wondering if maybe someone here could give me soome advice.

I recently bought a rifle at Cabela's, it is a Win 70 (CRF) apparently built by Dean Zollinger. Chambered in .338 Taylor.

From what I can tell there is no information on any such cartridge, but that's what is stamped on the barrel. The rifle apparently includes RCBS dies and brass.

The description at Cabela's was:

"The shell is a necked up .300 H&H magnum shell, shortened 1/4", and blown out, with a sharp shoulder, a la the Ackley Improved cartridges. It has more case capacity than the Winchester .338 Magnum." By the way this isn't the only rifle currently at Cabela's in .338 Taylor.

So this sort of sounds like the .338/.300H&H discussed above in this thread.

Okay, so my main question is, what factory cartridges might be potentially appropriate for a rechambering?

I was hoping .330 Dakota might work and have also been told maybe a .340 Weatherby might work. As soon as I get the rifle I will measure the brass and the rifle.

Thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
PSmith,
Why rechamber?
If you have the dies and brass why not just see what it can do and then determine if you like it.
If it is a quarter inch shorter than the 300H&H then you may be able to go to the 338/300H&H as long as the shoulder wasn't blown out larger than the 300 case diameter at that point in the case. The 300 tapers quite a bit in its length so this may not be possible.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I just don't have time for a cartridge that I'd have to fireform brass and reload for. Too many kids and too many hours at work. And I think you all that reload are right up there with nuclear physicists.

I got the rifle because it is pretty darn nice other than the chambering and it was discounted because of it. If I can't get some good cartridge to rechamber I think I will get it rebarreled to .404 Jeffery.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote