THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    9.3x66, 400 Whelen, 9.3x62, or downloaded 416 Ruger?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x66, 400 Whelen, 9.3x62, or downloaded 416 Ruger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to get a new rifle in the near term to train for an African Safari that is probably 2 years away. I have rifles that will work well for the smaller and softer plains game animals but, Zebra/Eland on up probably need something more.

I have been watching for a nice commercial Mauser 98 based 9.3x62 but, my search has been unfruitful so far. This has made me consider rebarreling something or maybe downloading a larger caliber. Initially, the 9.3x62 seemed like a good choice because it is legal in Africa for Safari and fits into a lighter rifle without recoiling excessively. Having found some 9.3x57 rifles, the thought of rechambering entered the equation which leads me to consider a 9.3x66 which Z-hat offers. The leap to a 411 Hawk or 400 Whelen is an easy step from there.

Would a downloaded 375 or 416 Ruger be a better option to train with? I'm assuming I can safely download to something similar to a 9.3x62 recoil level and work my way up to full power loads in a couple of years as I prepare for Africa. The cost of a 375/416 Ruger or 9.3x62 CZ-550 rifle is about the same but, I don't have to worry about rechambering and ammunition availability if go with the Ruger option.

Words of advice, recommendation, and general insights are appreciated in helping me pick my next rifle.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sid you and others have raised the question of the 9.3x66 before. In a 06 length magazine for a handloader the gain over a 9.3x62 is small if any. Sure a 411 Hawk or Whelen would get the job done. The by far simplest and cheapest is simply go with a 375Ruger or wait for a 416 either could be loaded up or down. Remember this is from a guy that just built a 380 &400PDK. In a 400 my case is 86grs and I can push the right 400gr at 2250. But the 06 based case is better suited for 300gr.

My guess is a 416Ruger would be loafing at my max. Check out Jeffe's 416AR for a comparison.

American hunting rifles makes a 380 Howell will chamber your rifle and sells dies and brass to boot. Basically a 9.3x66 in 375.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A 350 grain 411 bullet has a 296 SD

in an 06 based case going 2350+

Where are the flies on that?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 350 grain 411 bullet has a 296 SD

Yep but 350s aren't a run of the mill 411 bullet. Cheapest are the Hawk but I think they are way to soft.

Boom you going to be at the shoot on 5/2. I'll have the 400 there.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul --
you can download the 416 AR (just a little larger than then ruger) to 400gr at 2200 .. which is easy on the shoulder.. or 350s somewhere close to that.. easy to do, man .. really.. just use rl 15 or rel 19 and you'll be down there

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AR series of cartridges is a good one. However, I'm missing what they offer over the Ruger cartridges. Limited load data shows the 416's are equivalent so, wouldn't factory support for the Ruger tip things slightly in favor of that rifle and cartridge combination?

Buying a factory rifle eliminates the expenses of fitting a new barrel. RUM brass is cheap enough but, no fireforming and trimming is attractive with Hornady factory ammo. Also, headstamped brass will be easy for the Ruger if that is needed for any trips to Africa (or someplace else).

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The AR series of cartridges is a good one. However, I'm missing what they offer over the Ruger cartridges. Limited load data shows the 416's are equivalent so, wouldn't factory support for the Ruger tip things slightly in favor of that rifle and cartridge combination?

Sid
The 416AR really doesn't offer anything over the 416Ruger.It only has a couple grains of cpacity over the Ruger. I just mentioned it as a check to see what velocity the 416Ruger should be able to do. Sicne I hadn't seen much 416 Ruger data.

AR headstamped brass and dies are available. But like I tried to say the 375 or 416 Ruger would be the esiest and cheapest to do. Yes they can be loaded down

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sid,
Funny enough, I didn't do a 375 AR, a YEAR before the 375 ruger was annouced, and my 416 has been shooting since december of 2005 (wow, its been THAT long?)

The 375 and 416 ruger are EXCELLENT factory rounds, and offer the same design that I did on the ARs (a couple years ahead of the rugers) and performance. For the SAME reasons.. meet the performance of the "full length" HH cases in a standard action. I am not the first one, that is certain, but I did it, on 416, 458, and .475 bullets... and even .510

with the 416 ruger being a factory round, the 416 Accrel, like the 416 hoffman vs 416 remington (or rigby ve rem vs dakota vs weatherby - all 416s) makes it an interesting race.

Some folks don't like the Ruger name .. i do, then again, I like belts, shoulders, no belts, rims, rim fire, centerfire.. in short, I like just about every cartridge made.

Rip is even working on a 458 ruger case. It will have less shoulder/headspace than the 470 Accrel, but may work just fine.

its about choices, right? After all, the 8x57 IN ORIGINAL LOADING will kill anything on the planet.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some folks don't like the Ruger name .. i do, then again, I like belts, shoulders, no belts, rims, rim fire, centerfire.. in short, I like just about every cartridge made.

Rip is even working on a 458 ruger case. It will have less shoulder/headspace than the 470 Accrel, but may work just fine.

its about choices, right? After all, the 8x57 IN ORIGINAL LOADING will kill anything on the planet.

Yep some of us just like to be different. dancing Boy it sure would be boring if we all shot the same thing. Can't imagine a hunting camp without a "discussion" on whose rifle and cartridge is best.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Sid Post,
I have not had the Ruger cartridges.
I have the 9.3x62 ,the 9.3x74, the .411 Hawk, the .405 Win, the .375 H&H, the .378 Wby, etc.

Recoil of a well built 9.3x62 is not severe, some of the very light small ring Huskys are an exception to that.

If you look at the aspect of "lost" ammo, the 9.3 has an "African" advantage as to replacement.

As to rifle cost, you can find used CZ's in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby etc for $6 to 900.

I see used large ring 9.3 x57 Huskys at about $450 that you could ream to 9.3x62.

Get what you want, but a .375 or a 9.3x62 works well and ammo is factory available lots of places.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just buy a CZ 9,3x62 mannlicher stocked carbine. Trim, light weight, and legal for anything in Africa. Mine is a dandy, and an moa carbine.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9,3x62. It is one of the very few calibers (the other one being 6,5x55) which works in the real world so impressive that it is really convincing.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote