Find
Notify
Tools

How much can you widen a case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
If you wanted to widen a case via fire forming, how much is safe? 3, 5, 10 thou? Could you take say a 9,3x62 case that measures .474" to say .480"?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Boom I've taken factory 280 rem brass to my 416. Shoulder moves forward and out to .46.

Going all the way to 416 is not 100% success but better than 75% for sure.

If you are talking about blowing out the web so it looks like a 284 I have no clue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
A case can be expanded more than you think!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The Dane has some interesting carts there shocker

I was thinking about the case head or the base of the case by the rim. A 15 thou wider case than the 06 by blowing out the 9,3x62 a bit.

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:

Extracting that case on the far right would be interesting. Big Grin

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 15 thou wider case than the 06 by blowing out the 9,3x62 a bit

Why. If it is your .423 would a mouth headspace not be easier? (I sure haven't checked dimensions)

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

Extracting that case on the far right would be interesting. Big Grin

The one on the right is a modern version of a muzzle loader rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The one on the right is a modern version of a muzzle loader rotflmo

Or maybe a revolver with the loading gate in the front of the cylinder...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say "zero" widening of the case head is the best recommendation for fire-forming a wildcat.
Case head expansion is an ugly business.

Now I will get back to studying the 6.5-06 Springfield to see if I can improve that any for the new bee in my bonnet, the "6.5mm Speedmoor."

Nah ... the 6.5-06 is good enough. tu2

How about a .264/.338 Lapua Magnum? ... "6.5mm Needmore Speedmoor." sofa

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about the just now come up with 6.5 valkyrie!!! (A slightly blown out 6.5-376 Steyr)
Just rechamber a 6.5x284 and open the boltface a bit to get 20 percent more capacity over 6.5x284

quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
I would say "zero" widening of the case head is the best recommendation for fire-forming a wildcat.

Now I will get back to studying the 6.5-06 Springfield to see if I can improve that any for the new bee in my bonnet, the "6.5mm Speedmoor."

Nah ... the 6.5-06 is good enough. tu2

How about a .264/.338 Lapua Magnum? ... "6.5mm Needmore Speedmoor." sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember a member here doing a 375H+H case to 404 Jeffery, the base stayed the same while the body expanded to fit. How it stayed square to the bolt face, I don't know or uneerstand, but it worked without case splits or headspace problems.
So yes, a case can be safely expanded far more than you think and still remain a safe product.

Cheers.
shocker

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember a member here doing a 375H+H case to 404 Jeffery

Yep

http://forums.accuratereloadin...781041491#7781041491

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Heres one i actually did myself (the other pic i stole of the web)

Since the rim is missing i suspect that the original man lathe turned a form for the shoulder and expanded the living crap out of a /many!) case.

I annealed a case (several!!!) and spun them in the lathe to get a controlled and even/not lobsided result.
I got to a .40 caliber bullet in first try but from there the learning curve is like a hockey stick!
Here is a .44 bullet in a 357MAG case.

I will go for a .45 caliber bullet just for the heck of it, but the "necks" tend to "grain up" and will develop splits.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Come to think of/look at it i think he did a .45 om a 30 carbine and that makes it way cooler than my feeble attempt!!!

I may be down but i'm not defeated yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heres one i actually did myself (the other pic i stole of the web)

Since the rim is missing i suspect that the original man lathe turned a form for the shoulder and expanded the living crap out of a /many!) case.

I annealed a case (several!!!) and spun them in the lathe to get a controlled and even/not lobsided result.
I got to a .40 caliber bullet in first try but from there the learning curve is like a hockey stick!
Here is a .44 bullet in a 357MAG case.

I will go for a .45 caliber bullet just for the heck of it, but the "necks" tend to "grain up" and will develop splits.

I believe boom stick is asking about expanding the base diameter.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Yup

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've turned multiple thousands of 9mm Luger into 9x18 Makarov. Tends to blow the case out noticably forward of the web. Never any problems... but then 95 grains of cast bullet over 4.0 grains of Unique is not exactly in belted magnum territory either.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the proper way to do a case head expansion when wildcatting, like turning

the 6.5-06 A-Square

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=184

into the 6.5 Prometheus:

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=858

Both of the above cartridges use 2.5" brass.
You use a shortened .338 Lapua Magnum (AKA .338 Norma Magnum) to make 6.5 Prometheus.
You cannot make it from 30-06 Springfield brass. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is the proper way to do a case head expansion when wildcatting, like turning

the 6.5-06 A-Square

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=184

into the 6.5 Prometheus:

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=858

Both of the above cartridges use 2.5" brass.
You use a shortened .338 Lapua Magnum (AKA .338 Norma Magnum) to make 6.5 Prometheus.
You cannot make it from 30-06 Springfield brass. Wink

Apples and oranges. Boom stick is talking about a few thou to allow the use of the most common brass, and bolt face.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
So how do you expand the head? coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
So how do you expand the head? coffee

Fireform cream of wheat method.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
You cant expand the head of a case!
But you can do as the fellow with the 404.

If it were me i would lathe turn some small plastic rings to center the case head in the chamber for initial fireforming. That would produce a case like the one on the left.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fireform cream of wheat method.

That expands in front of the web but does nothing for the head. If the head needs to be expanded for his bolt I have no clue how unless you swage it somehow. Plus you expand the head good luck keeping primers in it.
Confused Maybe I need a beer

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will opend a case neck to the size of the case, and I would never mess with the case head, that's just dangerous and unreasonable.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
shockerAs a young reloader I made and used 06 cases to make Jap. 7.7 cases. In front of the web and head there was about .009" expansion.I probably did less than 50 and most likely didn't use any more than 3 times but only because I had other guns to play with.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote