THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Any one got a 475 A&M reamer they would rent ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one got a 475 A&M reamer they would rent ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
...I think I need one ????? 20 inch barrel wit a Vias Muzzel Brake ..Shoot a 500 gr. bullet @ 2500 fps. Make it up on a Ruger or CZ 416 action ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Just get a 470 Mbogo, same case size, no belt. Great round.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Or make that barrel 24" without the brake, and still be able to hear your grandchildren laugh.
Smiler
The A&M is kind of a classic, and between a belt and a cartridge named Mbogo, I would go with the belt.... Wink

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
heh, go with the mbogo, as it is actually a larger case, and requires very little feeding work on CZ.. I know that dave www.470mbogo.com will send the reamer to pac-nor..

and I hunt with Dave just about every year
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a 475 Gibbs reamer...

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
+3

www.470Mbogo.com

The coolest cartridge in world with the coolest name outside of Norway. Razzer

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:

The coolest cartridge in world with the coolest name outside of Norway. Razzer

hehe, sorry man, but in a free world, it is my right - ja?
Never said a bad word about the cartridge itself, and its creator seems to be one of those rear guys who gets respect from everyone.

Probably RIP's fault, you know, his line of cats with the most obscure long names including different african spicies blew a couple of my fuses. But he's a free man too! Big Grin

I have a friend with a .475 A&M, and I like it a lot. It is a easy round to do, just neck up .460 Wea'by brass. If the A&M is what gumboots want, I see no reason to make him want another cartridge?

Gumboot, I could set you up with the reamer, but there must be someone closer? I you hear nothing else, let me know!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..........OK so hears my thinking ,,,,, Less bullet weight than the 500 A2 , Easily available brass ....And I LIKE BELTS ..........If you have shoulders that is great ......I wear suspenders about 350 days a year ...But when I go huntin I also wear a belt ......,.,.It is slightly more rational than the other 3 that come to mind ,, Mbogo, Gibbs ,& AR...And I like muzzel brakes to..... Right now I,m working 10 hrs a day running a Grizzly .......sometimes inside it while the loader hand is loading it with a 980.. Even with sometimes doubled hearing protection my ears ring all night long ....but I can still hear my pet moose eat grass 60 yrsd away...I,m 47 yrs old and if you are talking and I,m not looking at you ,,,,,,,,well,,, you will probably have to repeat yourself.....Any one know how loud a D10 N is when it walks by on hard rock ??? So the noise thing is kind of ,Well me and Mr Walkers Game ears will probably become companions..... One thing I REALLY APPRECIATE is ,,, No one ridaculeing me for wanting a great big gun ...Actually you guys kindof intimadate me... BOOM coffee....I want a 475 A&M ,,.,.Sorry everyone I guess I read Cartridges of the World too many times.....So heres a Question ,,,,What twist......will mostly shoot 500 gr bullets....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. Bent ,, Thank you ,, I will try to find one close ,, but over the pole it isn,t really that far..

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It would be cheaper to go with a 470 ar...no belt but cheap brass.

go with what will make you happy thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am indifferent to belts, and my wildcats of shown it... and rebate only bothers me when it's a large percentage

i looked in my normal places
chtool, zhat, and reamer rentals, and they don't show that as a rental reamer. Pacnor doen't have it listed, either

quick brake down on the 470s
470 royale - .475 bullet in a gibbs case monster
must use giant actions

470mbogo, largest of the rigby/weatherby based cases, invented by dave, and the seed that got most of us wildcatting big bores 500gr at 2500+fps enfield or CZ or giant actions

475 AM - 500gr at 2500 MAX, pretty easy to make cases, same actions as above

470 AR - 500gr at 2400 MAX, easy to make cases, fits in standard length actions by design. mausers, springfields, rugers, winchesters, etc, 3.34" oal

470 capstick 500gr at 2400 MAX (perhaps over max), must be in a long action, 3.65 oal

Other than being a .475 bullet rather than a .458 bullet, there is nothing to really declare them different than the 458 rigby, 460 webby, 458 ar, or 458 lott..

but the .475 bullet is COOL, dang it

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Other than being a .475 bullet rather than a .458 bullet, there is nothing to really declare them different than the 458 rigby, 460 webby, 458 ar, or 458 lott..

but the .475 bullet is COOL, dang it

Jeffe - If a person uses the 500 grain bullets, you are likely correct. But, when I originally shot the .475 A&M (1970), it was commonly thought appropriate to use the 600 grain .475 bullet.

Can't say it was enjoyable to shoot, what with the Weatherby stock and Mark V action on it, together with a none-too-heavy A&M barrel, but it was a round John Buhmiller tried in Africa and apparently liked somewhat...whatever that's worth.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Ya ,,,,,,they are all kind of a last resort when the wheels are falling off kind of a problem solver.. Definately a round nose soft point bullet kind of problem solver for me..And an easy way to stay away from 600 gr bullets..You don,t need a 600 gr bullet to kill a brown bear..Yes the 475 AR is the most practicle of the lot ......But this is wildcating........I want a short barrel and 3 shot magazine so it is easy to wave around in thick brush .....

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Well I talked to my friend, and he had sold the reamer. Sorry, but I am sure someone else will help you out!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

posted Hide Post
wish I could help out ,loaned my reamer and dies to a friend now I have no friend and no reamer or dies. I still have the 475 a&m.
The rifle is based on a 1914 P-14 opened up enough for the 475. It weighs 14 lbs. Heliarced a 2X4 in of steel machined to fit around the barrel. and added shot for extra weight in the rear of the stock. I used express rifle sights and I call her BABY. I also made the stock for my 5 foot 7 inch, 145 pounds.
I use 460 weatherby case fire formed.
If you feel the need you can always leave the spent primer in either 308 or 30-06 cases and pore lead in them to make projectiles for the 475. Be sure to weigh them.
I'm using a 30-06 case full of lead with a 125 grain field point for my projectiles.

Posts: 3 | Location: madison nc | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
..Yes the 470 AR is the most practicle of the lot ......But this is wildcating........I want a short barrel and 3 shot magazine so it is easy to wave around in thick brush .....

okay.. get a ruger in 338, rebarel to 470 ar ... you'll loose the lease fps/inch in it

one day, harry, peyton, and I are going to chrono 4 458 ars, from nearly 26 down to 20" to see the effect

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
chime in: the 475 Gibbs will fit in P14/17/M30/M34 actions. Got one laying here as I type. For a short time we have good brass available from RNS.
You can always DOWNload it to 475 A&M specs.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rich,
475x505 = 475 Royale

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

haven't ever seen one...don't know if my reamer will cut the same specs chamber; so I differentiate it for that reason. Is the Royale exactly 505 specs but in 475?

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's also the 475 Ackley. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gannscor
I use 460 weatherby case fire formed.
If you feel the need you can always leave the spent primer in either 308 or 30-06 cases and pore lead in them to make projectiles for the 475. Be sure to weigh them.
I'm using a 30-06 case full of lead with a 125 grain field point for my projectiles.
................................WOW ,,,,,,,That is cool .... thumb