Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x29mm Rimmed
 Login/Join

posted
I am working on a round that I am going to call the 7.62x29mm Rimmed. It is a 38 Special necked down to .30. I am using a 7.62 Tokarav die to neck the bass down.

Here is a 38 Special necked down to 30 caliber.

Here is a 100 grain Ranier bullet and a 125 grain Sierra Game King.

I am considering using a Rolling Block action or using a lever action. I want to use this for shooting light subsonic bulletsr through a suppressor. I don't plan on shooting more than 100-150ish yards.

If anyone has done this round or something similar any info would be appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Let's first welcome you to AR!
Lots of great folks, and folklore here.

I like your idea. Should be similar to a .32 ACP in velocity. Is that a 110g 7.62 x 39 bullet? I would think that would be a great plinker.

I'm working on something similar, using my 7.65 x 54 Argentine dies to neck down .357 Maximum brass. I figure it will be my "just because I can" cartridge.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 100 grain bullet is for a .30 carbine. I have a contender that I shoot 300 whisper rimmed in. I use 360 Dan Wesson brass. Here is a converted 360 to 300 whisper rimmed compared to a factory 300 BO. The perspective is a little off in the photo, the brass is the same length.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 10 yrs ago I tried this. It seemed perfect when I ran them into the die, just as your do.
I stuck a take-off barrel on a 310 martini cadet action. I found that when fired there was a large bulge where the 7.62 reamer is larger then the 38 case. Yes it ironed back out after each shot, but was not ideal, so pulled the barrel and on to the next wet dream!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy, Yonk!

You're doing exactly what I've been plotting for a couple of years now- a .32/20 class round that won't break the bank to obtain brass for. I was planning to simply run the .38 brass into my .30 Mauser size die and use as is, long neck and all. Should be just the ticket for cast boolets. As near as I can see, the powder capacity is about 90% of a .30 carbine- which potentially puts it in a whole different league than the .32ACP. 8 or 10 grains of W296/H110 (which I have a ton of already), and a 110-130 grain cast booklet should make a cheap, accurate, pleasant shooting plinker or small game tool.

I picked up a used Rossi 1894 in .357 a while back with this experiment in mind - but it feeds and shoots .38s perfectly so I changed my mind. Maybe make up a T/C Contender carbine barrel instead?

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am considering rebarreling a Ruger 357/77 to this. I have a 357/77 magazine enroute right now to see if the rounds will feed from the rotary magazine.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

Along those lines I think a slightly shortened version of the 256 WM on the 38 Special case would be easy and pretty sweet.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27601 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is a cartridge called the 30 Reese that might be similar

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
neat.. 30 tok is the same as a 30 mauser (lets not be tedious) and can make great vels ..

looks like a 30 cadet .. as in a rook rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38667 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There's a guy called badgeredd on Castboolits that has been doing this for quite a while. It seems to me I saw something that said he had a special reamer made for the chamber. I think he called it the 30 Badger.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Bear-poker, I have seen where that little cartridge has been very effective on a few deer over the last few seasons. Performs way above what may be expected and is very highly thought of by those who have chambered for it.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know that BadgerEdd feller personally and I have used his reamer on 2 barrels. One for an old H&A fallingblock rifle and another time on a sleeved 10 inch contender barrel. I love the little 30BADGER round and YES it does slay deer quite nicely for those that have a bowhunters mindset and are willing to hunt deer with less than a 30-06 or some for of superdooperearsplittenloudenbooomer. A "wildcat" that uses a slightly modified cheap set of lee 30luger dies and 38 special brass and still delivers 32-20 performance...WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE ABOUT THAT????

Happiness Is a Target Rich Environment.

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Michigan | Registered: 23 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 Streaker...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote