Find
Notify
Tools

458/338 Rum short neck ,300X
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
Well ,,,'; I think I,ve come up with the soulution to my grown chambered 458 Win mag..Simply run 338 RUM brass thru an expander die ,after annealing.,, mine is an RCBSand trim an eighth of an inch off... Seat a 300 gr Barnes XFP and crimp in the canalure...It feeds like hot butter but at this point I can,t close thwe bolt on the 3rd round... But its very close....The base of the bullet comes to the base of the neck....Should be able to use a start load of 82 gr of H4198 with the moly coating on the bullets....Probably get 2900 fps from the 19.5" barrel 8 1/2 lb rifle dancing Eeker banana

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i thought about that and necked up a 338 rum brass to 458 last month...

the short neck is kinda funny look,n but it will work...

i thought it would be great with 45-70 bullets reeeeeely fast in a reg 458 win mag.

use the 350 grn north fork 45-70 bullets...you could drive them as fast as you want and they would be good for everything but braining elephants!

keep us posted thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
;;;;;;;So far my go to bullets are and have been XFB,s by Barnes..I can also seat the 400 gr Kodiak Bonded Core round nose ..I have used that bullet and it has worked very well....It will probably go 2650 from my rifle .....I am thinking I may be able to do this at home if I can get a reamer with a long pilot......The 300 gr X will work until I can lay in a supply of 310 gr GS, HV,s...They will fly even flatter.....Haveing never recovered a 300 gr X F B even with a mv of only 2500 fps I,m not too concerned ...I think CH4D makes a set of reloading dies for this....The shorter neck isn,t a problem ... I will send a few dummies off to Lee and get a factory crimp die...I think I can solve the 3 in the mag problem with another stock.....Mayby an MPI or a B&C Medallion stock.....I will play around with the canoe paddle stock ,put some washer between the bottom ,metal and the stock,, see if I can gain some room and still keep the mag box in place....May need the J B Weld...

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
It should be an easy way to gain 800 ft lbs...The round kindof looks like a 12.75x70 Schuller ,only with a modern bullet in it...

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......As near as I could come up with,,,106.5 gr water capacity.......

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hey...on a 458 win mag you could also rechamber to 458 lott and shoot 45-70 pills...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.......Yes I could but the area in front of the belt is a little big and so I want the chamber opened up a scoshe which the RUM case will do ....