Find
Notify
Tools

Standard-length .505 Gibbs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Case to be shortened and given a one-caliber
long neck, to result in loa of 3.34 with 570 gr.
bullet.

I would imagine that this has been done before,
but can't find any reference to it. Boomer
mentioned this some time ago...

Anybody run across anything like this?

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
not REALLY -- the case size it TOO BIG for most practices.
but you can do a 500 AR in the same, based off the rigby.

Click on the link in my address

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
oh, yeah.. and you don't have to shoot .505 bullets with the .500 AR,,, it's a .510 beast

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy jeffe-

About the size; I'm working up an action design of my own, which can be made to fit.

Agree about the .510 bullet dia. Why not? It's a wildcat anyway.

I don't have ballistic software, and have been pondering what V this thing might produce with 570 gr bullets from a 22 inch bbl.

I'm suprised this hasn't been done and called the .505 Bonkuso'th'konkus or some such. Heh

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The AR can go 2300 with 600gr bullets, without out too much trouble. a gibbs case would be 10% larger, so basicaly a 500A2..

So, best of luck on the action...

I would suggest, since having gone through this too many times, if something comes dang close, do it!! if someone else has the reamers and dies available, expecially with loading data, RUN AWAY from the wildcat!!

the 500 AR is based off the rigby, and the hornady rigby brass is cheap!!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Jeffe, your AR is all anyone could want.
Just curious about the Gibbs.

If the AR were to be shortened to 3.34 loa,
what kind of performance could one expect?

RG

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I load it at 3.4 oal, and get 2300+ with 600gr, 24", 2450 with 535s, and i expect 2330 with 570gr bulllets, all woodleighs... 1825 with 700gr pulls, and 2175 with 610gr casts ...

pretty darn cool, huh? anyway, dies are $100, and i can send the reamer to your fav gunsmith or barrel maker.. we should have headstamped brass before rifle season here in texas this year!

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty darn cool indeed, Jeffeosso!
I can live with 3.4 loa.
SOLD!

My big prob right now is trying to get our new shop up and running. Just one headache after another. Reminding me of Mr. Blanding's dream
house. We will prevail.

Thanks for the straight skinny.

RG

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Go with the 500 AR it rocks

I do think you were reffering to the belted rum case to 505 but there is just not enough taper to work with unless custom brass can be made to the 555 actual casehead. We are going with .500" and it us the 500 KILL ALL.
u will bot be disappinted with the 500 AR

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,Boomer-

No, I wouldn't want to attempt a project like the Kill All. The cart. is a real beauty!

The AR is just what I'm looking for. A straightforward conversion to a beltless case
producing great power. And .510 bullets to boot.

While I've got you on the 'phone-

Another ctg i've been looking at is the .495 A*.
This is the straight-case version, looking somewhat like your Kill All. I don't like the rebated rim, even though it's not excessive.
What's the word on this ctg? The published numbers look good.

RG

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 495 a2 is nice but I just preffer the 500 AR.

Some of the good things about the KILL ALL is minimal smithing from a 300 RUM and win mags and all the pistol bullets to the 700 grain Ranger Rick bullets.

The 500 AR has all the cool .510 bullets though.

Just go with the 500 AR and u will be happy.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
RG
i sent you a pm

thanks boomie!

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom- sent ya a PM
RG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe- sent PM
RG

one of us
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of an idea I had a few years ago to "improve" the Rigby case and shorten it to standard length. As it turns out, give the old girl a modern taper and a 2.85" case holds about as much as the original.
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it, nor the first to then think something along the lines of: "well, hell, if the boltface can handle the Rigby, the action length isn't the issue."
People put Rigby cases on Mausers and M70's, so yeah, it could be done. But add to it the existence of the 416 Rem and all I hear is a big flushing sound.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
however, where the Remington version operates at high pressure, the Rigby runs in the low 40,000Psi. Something to consider if you are hunting in the tropics.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing on the gibbs, the case is too big to get a good burn with a full case in a sub 26" barrel ... you wind up with either a filler (then why did you use a big case) or burning powder outside of the barrel (horsepower out the tail pipe).

Which is why we have the 500 AR, which there are 4 more in teh works, that I am aware of, right this minute.
j

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
however, where the Remington version operates at high pressure, the Rigby runs in the low 40,000Psi. Something to consider if you are hunting in the tropics.

Is that not an old cordite issue? Havne't actually heard of anyone getting excessive pressures with the Remington in the heat. Please dont get me started thinking about the short Rigby again.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

I believe ball powder also had issue with the tropics though not nearly as bad as cordite. However with today’s availability of temperature insensitive powders the nexus between “the tropics and excessive pressure†should not exist in modern loaded factory ammunition and definitely should not exist in handloaded ammunition.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote