Find
Notify
Tools

short 458 rum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
this brain fart or genious i dont know is a rum case 2.8" (same as lott) with the 458 bullet to rechamber lott rifles to get more horsepower or lower preasure

what say you??? sofa

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is that short?
Should be fine. Like a 458 Vincent or a little "better."

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
it would be a tad shorter .005 (2.8lott vs 2.85 rum)than the regular rum carts but i thought that would be a cheap re-do platform for a bigger case. just rechamber and some clean up if you had the lott but wanted more boom-room for speed or lower preasure and reloaded it might be neet but i think as far as money goes it wont be worth it for most.

there is a lot of case diff here

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Something funny with the case mouth dimension...jim Wink

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
yeah thats wrong...sorry i did not draw it but you get the picture Razzer Roll Eyes

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Short cases are usually ones of 2.0 - 2.1" in length, std length 2.5-2.6", and magnum cases are 2.7" on up, FYI.

The 460 G&A as well as 458 Vincent long are essentially what you are describing, only on the full rim dia 404 case.

Personally, I see little benefit of the 458 AR, in either the 2.6" or 2.8", there are simply too many other existing rounds that work just as well, w/o the hassles of going to a wildcat.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 458 Vincent Short cannot be improved upon, as you may note by looking over the loads in the AR loads section.

Any 458 Win mag can be converted to short Vinvent by cleaning up the chamber, and it will cycle perfectly on the stock feed ramp. If you use RUM brass in place of the 404, the bolt face will be fine stock as well. Takes 500 grainers to 2400 fps and beyond with a big yawn and makes that long Lott look a bit silly...

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Z-Hat also has a line of Ultracats if you dont want to rent a reamer for the Vincent, then gettin dies and a rechamber from them might be easier. I believe the Ultracats use full length brass, 2.850 or something like that.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote