Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 montana Mag
 Login/Join

posted
Seen dies for sale (online not in hand) and am curious as to what this is based on???

8mmwapiti

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
8mmwapiti

And I'm curious too - what's a 8mmwapiti?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
An 8mmwpiti? Is a 375 Ruger necked to .323".

8mmwapiti

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Of course it's silly to ask how much you like it? Wink I suspect it performs very much like the 8mm Rem Mag.

KB

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Of course it's silly to ask how much you like it? Wink I suspect it performs very much like the 8mm Rem Mag.

KB
Except in a standard length action...unless bullets are seated long.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 8mmwapiti:
An 8mmwpiti? Is a 375 Ruger necked to .323".

8mmwapiti

popcornThe Wapiti was introduced long before the Ruger flameroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Wapiti was introduced long before the Ruger

quote:

Some one necked the 375 Ruger case to 8mm long before there was a 375 Ruger???

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
35 newton anyone?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't say about the 8mm Wapiti there was a 35 version built on a ultramag case shortened to 2.18". There could have been a 8mm as well. Or simply a wildcatter can call his design pretty much anything he wants. Wapiti has been used on a number of other wildcats as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 8mmwapiti:
quote:

quote:

Some one necked the 375 Ruger case to 8mm long before there was a 375 Ruger???

popcornNO! Dave Schultz introduced the 8mm Wapiti ( elk ) in or before 1991. He made the cases from .300 H&H cases and turned off the belts. This is documented in the Wildcatter Newsletter first quarter 1993. My similar wildcat was made with .404 cases around the same time. flameroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave Schultz introduced the 8mm Wapiti ( elk ) in or before 1991. He made the cases from .300 H&H cases and turned off the belts

Do you remember any of the dimensions? If he blew it out it would almost be a 8mm rem mag without the belt.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Dave Schultz introduced the 8mm Wapiti ( elk ) in or before 1991. He made the cases from .300 H&H cases and turned off the belts

Do you remember any of the dimensions? NO I DON"T,off hand. If he blew it out it would almost be a 8mm rem mag without the belt.
UGH Ya, flameroger

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I like the belt. I don't know why anyone would want to turn it off. Big Grin

Seems to me like if a non-belted case is wanted the 404 J case would do it well.

Also, seems to me like the capacity of a case like the 338WM or 358 Norma is plenty, more is superfluous. Besides the longer cartridge won't fit in a std action. That's why my 8mm belted mag wildcat is on the 308 Norma case, necked up. It should be a good one, if I can ever get it finished, but by that time perhaps not relevant anymore.

KB

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's why my 8mm belted mag wildcat is on the 308 Norma case, necked up.

Then I can bracket it with my 308&358Norma Mags. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
OK, let's talk about bracketing. Big Grin

Here's an opinion. IMO, if Norma had a really good crystal ball, back then, instead of the 308 & 358 Norma Mags, we would have the 8mm & 9.3mm Norma Mags, which would still be top sellers today.

KB

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
In the early 60s the 9.3 and 8mm were not on manys radar. Most 8mm were old 8x57 mausers that were converted to 8mm-06. Plus the 338Wmag had come out in 1958. Yep the 9.3x62 across the pond but nothing state side. I removed my statement based on the incorrect start date listed for the 300Wmag in the Nosler # 4 reloading manual.

I did wonder if Norma was trying to come up with something to get close to the 375H&H in a std action why they didn't go with a 9.3Norma mag. Probably a marketing issue with the US market at the time not being into the MM type bullets.

Heck there is all kinds of things I could have made a fortune on if I had know 40 even 20 years ago what I know now. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester introduced the 264,338 and 458 Win mags in 1958. Norma released the 358 Mag in 1959 and the 308 Norma Mag in 1960. Winchester did not bring out the 300 Win mag until 1963. Norma commercialized a short 30 cal mag that would work through a std action yet provide performance equal to or greater than the 300 H&H which required a long action. Had Win acted a little faster they likely would have made their 30 cal mag what is called the 30-338 mag. When Norma beat them to it Winchester had to change their plans. The mag they brought out in 63 was just long enough etc to clean up 308 Norma chambers and many of the similar short magnums such as the Ackley, Luft,Apex etc.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester introduced the 264,338 and 458 Win mags in 1958. Norma released the 358 Mag in 1959 and the 308 Norma Mag in 1960. Winchester did not bring out the 300 Win mag until 1963. Norma commercialized a short 30 cal mag that would work through a std action yet provide performance equal to or greater than the 300 H&H which required a long action. Had Win acted a little faster they likely would have made their 30 cal mag what is called the 30-338 mag. When Norma beat them to it Winchester had to change their plans. The mag they brought out in 63 was just long enough etc to clean up 308 Norma chambers and many of the similar short magnums such as the Ackley, Luft,Apex etc.

Thank you This has been exactly my original memory. Wasn't 100% sure of the dates. When I went to answer Kabluewy I had the Nosler # 4 in front of me and it said the 300wmag came out in 1958 same year as the 338wmag. Since it was opposite of what I remembered I should have double checked the 300wmag date. Having it after the 308Norma tells me my swiss cheese memory was correct after all.

Thanks tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why some companys make the decisions they do. After the flurry of activity by Winchester one would think Remington would have been ready to put a new calibre on the market. Had Remington started chambering the 308 Norma Mag when it came out the 300 Win may never have happened. I guess they were busy developing the 7mm Rem Mag (boy that was a lot of work, neck up the 264 to 7mm no other changes) and the new 700 action . Why Norma chose the 35 cal for their first mag (358N)?? who knows. There were not a lot of good bullets on the market in that calibre either in Europe or North America. I can only suggest they wanted to copy the obsolete 35 Newton cartridge. Metric calibres except the 7mm Rem Mag have never been very popular in NA so I doubt an 8mm or a 9.3 mm would have been any more popular. Had Norma brought out the same case in 9.3 cal it would have been merely a belted 9.3x 64. A very good but not that popular a cartridge. There have been several very good 8mm cartridges on the market but they never caught on. The 8mm PMM (8mm-338) .323 Hollis (8mm-308Norma)8mm Rem Mag. All good calibres but not very popular. It remains to be seen how long the new 8mm WSM stays with us.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
He made the cases from .300 H&H cases and turned off the belts.

which is identical to a 9,3x64 case, which results in duplicating an 8x68 - which was developed in the 30s ..

not a bad round, but done way before 1993

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:

Metric calibres except the 7mm Rem Mag have never been very popular in NA
metric NAMED rounds .. 7.62x62, x51, 5.56, 8mauser, 9mm are pretty wildly popular. only gunwriters actually believe that one any more .. one of the most popular shooting guns is, of course, 7.62x39..
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:

so I doubt an 8mm or a 9.3 mm would have been any more popular.
no choice in bullets, is why ... the 35s had tons of bullets available, from124gr to 300

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the 358 Norma came out in the early sixties there were many 35 cal bullets availible. The problem was most of them were meant for 35 Rem or 35 Winchester velocities and the occasional 35 Whelan.. I first started playing with a 358 Norma in the early 1970's. At that time there were only a handful of bullets that would hold together at 358 Norma velocities. The only bullets I could lay my hands on that were any where near suitable were the 250 gr Speer spitzer and the 250 gr Hornady RN. Barnes made 358 bullets that I would have liked to try but they were unavailible. Nosler brought out their Partitions in 358 later but only in 225 to start. Today is a different story. There are several good 358 bullets that will hold up at 358 norma or 358 STA velocities but they still are not winning any sales races.