Find
Notify
Tools

475 wsm...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted

o.k. the 458 wsm has been done but what about the 475 wsm???

based on the blown out taper this would leave a .025" shoulder per side...

500 gr @ 2150 in a short action rifle anyone???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
its been thought of before, it is not new but i dont know of anyone who has made one, do you?

this is the danny devito of 475 carts...

it needs a name...

"mini mbogo?"

"i just saved $5,000 on not getting a 470 nitro double"

"470 stubbie"

"470 thumper" (my personal favorite)

any suggestions?

cheers

one last sip of my bourbon and i am off to bed (knob kreek, i am out of bookers)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Boomie,
you have a neck thickness of .4820 here... hmm, that means your neck thickness is .482-.475=.007/2 or .0035 EXACTLY "paper" thig.. a .0035 is about one sheet of paper thick.

Go look at the AR, man .. .499 neck.

which, on your drawing, means you would have, .008 ... barely more than a sheet of paper on each side.

No offense, but the AR, with Paul, Rob, Dave, and then Dave M and Dave D's help, is more or less THE delivery pacakge for 470s.

yeah, sure a 2.1" case would fit in a extremely short action... but, you are taking .5" off the AR at the shoulder. that's 25% of the case capacity!!! seems like about 85 gr of water left, which means 1775, with a 24" barrel (which is unfair.. if you are going with a short action, you should be limited to a 22" or 18" barrel) ... 18"=1709 at 60Kpsi...

and all for a .55 shorter boltthrow?

Just can't make 2100 with that short a case and the barrel associated with haveing a 2.8" round.

Sorry man, its a 60kpsi 45/70

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmmm...

so you are saying the feasability is close to nill and the 458 is the max on this case unless you are doing a 475 or 510 and headspacing off the case mouth...

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,

John Noveske of JN Rifleworks has pretty well run the course on large bore wsm's. I know he's done a .375, .416 and a .458. Might want to contact him and see what goes. He did post some stuff on his rifles here but it was back before the website was changed over to what we now have at AR.

I'm thinking jeffeoso is dead center on his #'s for the .475 that you mention.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Jim Busha also did two lines of cartridges under his Heavy Express label. Both based on the .348 Win case converted to rimless as are the WSMs. I had one of his .450 Heavy Express rifles for evaluation; I was looking at what would be a "minimum .458".

The long and short of it is saving weight and length in a short action does not do anything for you when the cartridge is a .400 and up. You need mass in the rifle to balance the recoil, and if you shift weight forward from the action to the barrel you need to add weight in the stock to balance the rifle.

In other words, why bother?

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noveske's .458 wsm is a short, light, open sight rifle w/laminated stock built especially for thick timber, black bear hunting in the Pacific northwest. He did say the "smack factor" was fairly stout.

Never ask, "why bother" when discussing wildcats, Jim!! Smiler BTW, are you still using that .376 Steyr Scout and if so, how's it holding up? One has to wonder why such a poor marketing job has been done on this round.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Dungbeetle,

Yup, I still use the .376 Steyr ProHunter, and I am building a second rifle on a commercial Mauser action.

S-M is notoriously poor at marketing, and Hornady has not had much to say either. I asked Hornade about using a harder 270 grain bullet, we may get one.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, it is the Pro Hunter, not the Scout. Enjoyed your article on it.

DB

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
DB,

Thanks for the kind words, it was a fun hunt.

Eric Ching (Slingster) has the .376 Scout. Each one of us thinks his rifle is better than the other's. Wink

jim