ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Cruiser Safaris: Fortune Favors the Bold

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cruiser Safaris: Fortune Favors the Bold
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
So many folks dream of an African safari, but never make it happen. Too often, it seems they are unable to commit due to fear and uncertainty over downrange business ethics, in-country safety, the unknown, and finances. Enter my friend, Joel, who faced all those same fears and went on his first African hunt. Oh yes, and Joel is a one-legged, one-handed, totally blind, and badly burned young man.

Outfitter: Cruiser Safaris Cruiser Safaris , Owner Pieter Lamprecht
Booking Agent: Robert "Cruiser Bob" Clark
Professional Hunters: PH Craig Diplock for Joel / PH Frank Du Plessis for me
Videographer: Richard Leonard Facebook - African Hunter Videos ITZ Media
Travel Agent: Travel With Guns
Hunt Dates: 3 to 12 July 2018

JOEL'S STORY
I met Joel in 2008 when he was in the Haley VA Hospital in Tampa, FL. He'd been severely wounded in Iraq. I was the HQ CMDT at HQUSSOCOM and my 1SG asked me to join him and visit some wounded guys in the hospital. Joel was a mess; missing a large chunk of his skull, badly burned, leg amputated below the knee, hands badly gnarled, and completely blind. Even in this condition, at his mother's urging, he thanked the 1SG for visiting and saluted me with his damaged hand - this level of discipline and lack of self-pity, along with an amazing sense of humor, are Joel's trademarks. We became friends, talking every few weeks, and visiting him a couple times after leaving Florida.
I'd been "kicking tires" and thinking about my second safari when Joel, who now had several successful stateside hunts under his belt, called and asked if I'd allow him to join me on my next African hunt. Joel hunts with the use of an iScope adaptor that allows his guide/PH to help get the crosshairs on target before Joel pulls the trigger Unstoppable Warrior . I told him I'd run it by my bride who said "it's Joel, you have to say yes." A year-and-a-half later we were on a plane.

SNAFU
We were supposed to meet up in Atlanta several hours prior to boarding our non-stop Delta flight, but weather in Atlanta kept me grounded in Greenville, SC and I arrived just after the plane left. Fortunately, Travel With Guns was monitoring our flights and we worked with them and Delta to leave two days later. We lost our Delta Comfort seats, but ended up with bulkhead seats, pretty good all things considered. Once done, I notified our booking agent and shortly thereafter received a text from Cruiser Safaris saying they'd simpy shift everything two days to the right so we wouldn't lose any hunting time. Likewise, Travel With Guns worked with Afton Safari Lodge to shift our reservations as well.

We arrived in Jo'berg and were met at our gate by two of Mr X's (courtesy of (Afton Safari Lodge) assistants who whisked us through customs to the SAPS office where we were met by Mr X. Minutes later we were in a van for a short ride to Afton for a great steak dinner and a night's rest. They even had a stool in the shower so Joel could take a shower. Since we'd arrived two days late and would be leaving the country two days late, our gun permits would expire during our stay. Mr X worked the extensions and e-mailed them to our outfitter for us! Afton also e-mailed me to say we'd left an adaptor in our room and offered to meet us at the airport to give it to us when we left. Pretty amazing service.

THE HUNT
After about a 4 hour drive with Joel's PH and the videographer, with a stop for fresh produce, we arrived at Cruiser Safaris. Our dinner, as was every meal while there, was delicious and served with a smile by a wonderful and attentive staff. Our accomodations were embarrassingly decadent; remote control heaters, hot water bottle in bed each evening, hot shower with good water pressure, etc...and very clean.

Joel and the chef, Del Marie (aka Tiny), got along fabulously.

Pieter, our outfitter, was with us multiple times daily and genuinely interested in how we were enjoying our hunt. A practical joker, he and his crew are a lot of fun.

First order of business was sighting in of the rifles and evaluation of client shooting abilities. I was uncharacteristically accurate. Then it was Joel's turn. He and his PH got the iScope set up and mated to his scope and iPhone.

Joel's first shot at 100 yds wasn't on the paper and the look on his PH's face said "what have I gotten myself into." Another shot, however, and they were in business. I'll save the blow-by-blow and tell you Joel missed one Impala and his Wildebeest required a follow-up shot. Every other animal was a one-shot kill and fell within sight of the blind. His 308 Winchester and Barnes TSX bullets were up to the task.

PH Craig and tracker with the makings of a blind.

He took Blue Wildebeest, Impala, two Warthogs, Waterbuck, Blesbok, Kudu, and Zebra. The only animal he targeted but couldn't bring to bag was a Steenbok, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

I hunted as well, taking Nyala, Steenbok, three Warthogs, Blesbok, Red Hartebeest, Waterbuck cow, Gemsbok, and Impala. My PH, Frank the Tank, delighted in tracking, working the wind, and getting us in close. As a result, I only took two shots over 100 yds and many times were well within 30-40 yds from unaware animals.

The only bullet recovered was from a partial front shot on my gemsbok.

I owe a few "shout outs" to those who really went above and beyond:
- Cruiser Bob who prepared us for our hunt and spent lots of phone time with Joel.
- Wishes for Warriors who, after Cruiser Bob spoke with them, picked up the tab remaining on Joel's Kudo Combo hunt. Joel later added another four animals.
- Travel With Guns who did a great job minimizing effects of our weather induced delay.
- Afton Safari Lodge for taking care of expired gun permits and ensuring our room was handicapped accessible.
- Highveld Taxidermy who offered to mount Joel's choice of one of his trophies for free!
- Pieter, owner of Cruiser Safaris, who offered Joel a 1/2 price Waterbuck and whose daily involvement kept the hunt on an even keel. No drama leader there.
- Great PH's, Craig and Frank, who were always ready to "make a plan" to and adjust fire as necessary. Great job guys!
- Richard, the videographer, whose great sense of humor was a welcome addition. I've seen clips from what will be a great show of Joel's hunt.
- Maria Felix, CEO of Hunter International Broker Sevices, who offered to provide their brokerage fee, messenger charge, and airline storage free to Joel

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good time was had by all. Good on'ya. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Badger:

Awesome that you did that. My thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Just so I'm clear, my the only costs I covered for Joel were our Afton Safari Lodge stay and some gear. He paid his own way, except as indicated where some great folks chipped in to help out a very worthy young man.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just fantastic, a big congratulations to both of you! It is really fine that everyone chipped in, to make this memorable, well done Joel, and Matt!!!

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great report. I'm so happy for all involved that it worked out nicely. That iScope is an amazing piece of technology and allowed my blind client to also be successful.

Big Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Awesome report and well done! Pieter and his family are excellent people and he runs a great safari company.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
That's a special hunt for all of you.

I have had a DAV friend for many years who received bad head trauma while in the Army. I've taken him hunting for elk, deer, antelope moose and Big Horn sheep. Hunting helped him overcome some of his fears.

He's had a rough time over the years but gets to do some things with me.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Amazing and thank you for sharing.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great adventure. Well done to all. Good report and photos. Thanks for posting. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWSOME hunt. Congratulations on the excellent hunt and great trophies.

One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
Well done all
fantastic report and hunt by both of you
tu2

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Was Craig Diplock Joel's guide?

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Spectacular! You are a special man.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NJBob:
Was Craig Diplock Joel's guide?

Yes, he was.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Supreme act of mankind.

I applaud you all.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Badger for making this happen!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pieter and Craig are the best. If anyone asked who would be the best outfitter to send a hunter with any disability, I would say Cruiser Safari

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic. Glad everyone had a great time.

I did my first safari ever with Pieter and Cruiser...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt report.

Thank you for taking this young man along and helping him achieve his dreams.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hats off to all involved!

Absolutely fantastic and I wish you all the best. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly Awesome!

Posts: 1823 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What a gift

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
One of the best reports I've read in quite a while. Congratulations to all involved.

Posts: 3915 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Badger,

What a great report! Glad to see that Joel had fun and was taken care of. We owe so much to our veterans. Thanks for helping him make that trip happen.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin375
posted Hide Post
Really Fantastic. A huge congratulation to Joel and to you for that hunting trip. Thank you so much for the sharing.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Terrific report!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a tough young man.
Best wishes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding for this man to experience his dream and passion!

Congrats to all!

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A Wonderful Hunt. Thank You for your Service!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn, this hunt report got to me in a good kinda way. Hats off to both of you for your selfless acts of heroism and an amazing friendship!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Amazing group of people, congrats and to Joel, well done and thank you for your tremendous sacrifice to our nation. You are beyond a brave man. patriot

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Badger,

Great report and, as a disabled vet, thanks for helping out a brother! It is proof that a catastrophic injury can take the hunter out of the hunt for a while, it can't take the hunt out of the hunter! Getting back to a "normal life" (a life most take for granted) is so important for us; to be back out in the field with friends is a major goal for many vets. Your hunt report amply displays the power of the human spirit. Thank you for your service!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing and thanks for your efforts to take this hero hunting .

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great things and adventures of a lifetime come together when everyone cooperates even when glitches crop up to foul up the works.

Be proud of what you did for this great guy in trying to make a life out of such terrible problems he faces.

I thank you for helping him out. Thank you for sharing with us and opening many eye's to what a lot of vets have gone thru protecting the rest of us, vets or non.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Look for an article called "Joel's Hunt" in the Jan/Feb/Mar issue of African Hunting Gazette. I added a bit more detail and pics.

Joel's already calling me about another African hunt...

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
That is some life-changing stuff there.

Simply awesome!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Superb

Good Hunting
CF

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report. Pieter and his staff are the best, and you will never go hungry with Tiny's cooking!

Great to see special-needs hunters enjoying the hunt of a lifetime.