ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Zimbabwe Hunt Report with Pictures this time!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Hunt Report with Pictures this time!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is the hunt report:

Hunters: Bennie Jeter my dad and myself Jason Jeter
Date: April 14- May 3 2010
Airlines: Delta to Jo Burg, SAA Jo Burg to Bulawayo
Accomodation: Jo Burg: Afton House
Species: Trophy Elephant and Buffalo
Rifles Used: Myself – Marcel Thys 500 Nitro Express
Dad- Ruger RSM 458 Lott

Areas: Plum Tree (this area borders Tcholotcho South on the north and Botswana on the West, this area has year round water with the Maitiengwe dam and Sehubu springs which are within several miles of Hwange park where it meets the Botswana border) The accommodations here are thatched concrete rondovels . The camp runs on 12V battery for lighting, The camp overlooks the, usually, dry Tegwane river, however this river ran for several days while we were there due to heavy rains. Very nice camp.

Hwange,Inantuyie camp (this area borders Hwange park on the west and stretches nearly to the Matetsi units in the north and the town of Dete in the south, the Deka tail safari area is more or less an extension of the park as the fence is removed in this area, and this is the southern boundry. This camp was a great camp, very remote and a nicely tented camp with great views. I really loved this camp.

Omay south, this area was for buffalo.

Company: Matapula Hunters, Mark Butcher and Mark Element owners.
Professional Hunters: Scott Bailey and Andre Esterhuizen

This was the second hunt I have done with Matapula hunters in Zimbabwe. The last hunt was for Elephant and Buffalo in 2002. I was very happy with the results of this hunt and with the way the hunt was run. Therfore, when my dad asked me about going elephant hunting I went straight to Mark Butcher. The first hunt with Matapula where I took my first Elephant bull, produced a bull right at 50 pounds 49.6 I believe and 48.4. I was also fortunate to take a 41” dugga boy in the Omay. The hunt was In Tcholotcho North and was done fair chase after tracking a group of 5 bulls for the better part of the day, true elephant hunting. I know that the two Tcholotcho areas get a bad rap for the operators hunting water holes at night. This does happen but it does not have to be done this way to be successful. These were the elephant and buffalo I took on the first hunt with Matapula.

On the flight over my dad and I made acquaintaince with Hook here from AR. He was on his way to Uganda to hunt with Steve which looks like he had a very successful hunt, congrats to them. We satyed at the Afton House in Jo Burg and had a great dinner and wonderful stay as we always have had there, great people.
Entry into Bulawayo was simple as usual. They did, however; take a Cold Steel folding knife from my bag. It was a locking blade knife, one of those with a clip so you can wear it clipped to your pocket. Apparantly this is not legal in Zimbabwe. They told me I could have it back when I flew out but I had to pay a $2 a day rental fee for storage, I told them to just keep it.
We arrived in Plum Tree camp after a 4 hour drive from Bulawayo. We checked the zero on our rifles about 20 miles from camp so to not disturb the hunting area. No problems with the rifles.

Day 1-3:
Elephant sign was plentiful in this Plum Tree hunting area. We were tracking bulls within 1 hour from camp. This area is generally Mopane scrub and areas of Cathedral Mopane. The Mopane scrub areas were impossibly thick. The Mopane is in full foliage and visibility was rarely more than 15 yards or so. During these first few days we followed bulls every day, never following for less than 3 miles and on day 3 we followed for 15 miles before finding the bulls. Three times we found the bulls in a mix of Mopane scrub and taller Mopane. Because of the dense bush we were never able to see any of the bulls well enough to assess the trophy quality. We were within 20 yards of the groups and could only make out patches of dark, legs and a flash of ivory here and there. Inevitably the wind would swirl in this thick stuff and send the elephant going. These first few days were not short on excitement in any way. Being that close to bulls and not getting to see their ivory was a little frustrating simply because we were not able to rule out following that particular group if we found their spoor again. Still good hunting.

These first 3 days for my dad were about the same. They followed some bulls daily and saw some small guys from the truck. One day they followed a single bull for 6 hours and never caught him.

Day 4:
Today my dad and Andre picked up the track of a bull that his trackers said was the same bull they had followed two days ago for 6 hours that they never caught up to. They followed this track for 4 hours. The bull never stopped to feed he just kept going just as the one had done earlier. When they were within a mile or so of the Manzanyama river, which is the boundry with Tcholotcho south, Andre told my dad that this bull is going back to Tcholotcho so they might as well take a rest and send one of the trackers for the truck.
The tracker had not been gone 15 minutes when he retuned very excited and said that he had walked across a a different bulls track on his way back to the truck and followed it for a short distance to find a big bull. The bull saw him and moved off into the Mopane. The tracker took Andre and dad to the spot where he saw him an they picked up the track. The followed the track for about a mile and found the bull in a mud wallow completely oblivious to their presence. It was a great bull and my dad was able to take it without issue. It was very exciting for him.
Dad and Andre didn’t return to camp until after 7 that night and you can be assured that we did celebrate!

Day 5-7
The morning after my Dad took his bull Scott told me that we would see the elephant start to leave the area with my dad shooting a bull and the activity of the villagers going to take the meat. From this point on we saw only one set of bull tracks coming into our hunting area from Tcholotcho again, whereas before the elephant was shot they were coming and going daily. It was actually amazing to see this. There is absoloutely no doubt in my mind that elephant can speak to each other over long distances. The main area where Scott and I had been hunting was no less than 15 miles from where my dad shot his bull and the tracks were all going , going , going.
Two of these days the rain came and came hard. A lot of the roads in this Plum Tree area are alluvial type soil and are very difficult to pass when wet. This limited the areas we were able to cover during this wet period. We also spent quite a bit of time daily getting ourselves un stuck from the mud. We never found anything to follow.

Day 8-11
These 4 days were a little frustrating. My dad and Andre were out every day looking for elephant for us and we were of course looking as well. There was just nothing left in the area. On day 8 we did pick up the track of a bull coming from the Manzanyama border near the area where my dad shot his bull and got on it. The bull followed a straight line through the corner of a block until he reached a road, he then followed that road for 15 miles without ever stopping. During this time we found a single pile of dung. The bull finally turned off the road and went into a block. It was later in the day and the block was huge. Scott said we should send a guy to camp to get a truck and drive the perimeter of the block to make sure he had not left the block, as we could walk another 15 miles in that block and never catch him only to find he had already left, I agreed it sounded like a good idea. We did this and found he was inside. We decided to be here first thing in the morning and pick him up again.
This turned out to be a bad call. The next morning we found the bull left the block in the night and went straight back to the Manzanyama boundry before daylight, within 2 miles of where he had come in the day before. The guys were convinced that this bull was likely the same bull my dad and Andre had followed twice that had never stopped to feed but just kept going and going. This guy was looking for something, who knows what, he had made a 30-40 mile roundtrip into and out of the area. I would like to know his story.

Day 12
We decided the night before that we would make a trip around the area looking for bulls coming in and then move to a different area known as Hwange hunting area and Inantyie camp. My dad and Andre left today for the Omay to continue dads hunt for buffalo. We drove the area and found nothing. We loaded camp and headed to Bulawayo for supplies and then a 4 hour drive north to Hwange. When we left Bulawayo we made it about 40K out of town when Luxon a tracker said he could see a lug nut bounce down the road. We pulled over to find that 5 of the lug studs had sheard off the drum. The wheel was being held be one nut......I hate to think what would have happened to the guys in the back..two trackers, a cook and appie hunter.. if that wheel had come off at 120k an hour. Scott had one extra stud, fortunately. We had to remove the entire bearing to remove the drum and put the stud in. This would give us two studs to limp back to Bulawayo. We were able to make the repair and while we were doing so the front tire on the passenger side went flat.....If anything Africa will teach a person patience!

Scott had a friend that was a mechanic/PH/gunsmith/took maker, who happend to have an assortment of studs of varying lengths to get us going. We made the repair that night and left Scotts house at 4 AM so as not to miss too much of the next days hunting.

Day 13-18
This Hwange hunting area was full of elephant. We started tracking bulls before noon the day we arrived in the area. During the next 6 days we looked at over 35-40 bulls. Every day was an adventure, full of proper elephant hunting and tracking. We saw two bulls right at 40 pounds per side but neither was the bull I wanted to take. The area in the south of this communal land was full of crops and of course the elephant come to the crops in the dark to raid. With this we did do some hunting at night. I had stated at the beginning of the hunt that I would not be interested in taking my trophy bull at night, I would have no problem taking a PAC animal in the dark but no trophy. Scott had the same feeling about hunting at night for trophy bulls but the moon was full and he said I should experience getting amongst elephant in the dark with no torch, no artificial light unless the situation became dangerous, only the light of the full moon. I said I would like the experience just to see what it was like. We did several spike camps during the days we hunted at night as the areas were more than an hour from main camp. The villagers would come to our spike camp and let us know when the bulls were in thier crops. We found several bulls in the fields every nigt. It was amazing how well you can see at night with the full moon and clear skies. You could see the bulls from 100 yards away in the fields with no problems. All of the bulls were small guys. We would approach them and make noise to run them out of the fields. They would always leave very reluctantly and standoffishly. It was very exciting, or so I thought. One night they came to tell us the bulls were in their fields. We went to find the bulls were not in the fields but actually in the thick bush behind the fields eating marulas. We went in searching for the bulls by sound alone. This bush was very thick. We approached these 3 bulls to within 15 yards in the dark, under a canopy of large Marula trees and Acacias, using only the sounds of trees being destroyed and shaken. This was the closest we ever were to elephant the entire safari. At one point a bull walked around the tree in front of us at what could have been no more than 10 yards, completely oblivious to our presence. It was one of the most exciting experiences I have ever had. We looked at all 3 bulls this very way, weaving in and out of the bush directed only by the sounds of the elephant.

We made a two hour trip up north one day to another area to find that a cow elephant herd had killed a villager two days before and Parks had been there chasing the herds around trying to do PAC because of this. We actually had the funeral procession come by while we were looking in the village fields for sign of elephant raiding. We decided this area would be no good for a while with Parks arond. Poor old guy had been in the clinic for several days sick. They believed him strong enough to walk home but unfortunately he was not strong enough to outrun the elephant cow herd he came across on his way home and they killd him.

On day 18 we passed a village called Mbange where we had tracked up a large cow herd with 7 smallish bulls mixed in several days earlier. A kid told us that the herd was around the village every day causing all kinds of problems, chasing them around and screaming at them. He also said that he had seen two bulls walk down the river and join the herd the day before, one small bull and one huge bull with one tusk. Scott said we should come back first thing in the morning, which would be our 19th and last day, and have another look at this herd to make sure no big bulls had joined.

Day 19
This morning we were at Mbange village before sun up. It didnt take long to hear the gunshot like sounds of large upper canopy limbs being smapped off by what could only be bulls, accompanied with the raccous noises of elephant cows. We followed the sounds right to the elephant. By the sounds the bulls were on all sides with the cows being in the middle spread out. We began to circle the herd trying to look at all the bulls. We looked at several smallish bulls in the 30-35 pound range. The wind was not very good even though it was still very early, only 7 AM or so. We had made it roughly half way around the herd when we saw the bull with one tusk. This bull was about 35 pounds with no hint of a tusk on the other side. Typical local information,you never know what to believe. At this point some cows had fed to withing 30 yards of us and the wind swirled. The cows immedieately voiced their displeasure and came in our direction making all kinds of ruccus. We backed off quickly and elephant were going everywhere. This herd, Scott said, must have had more than 40 animals in it. We could hear brush and trees crashing all around as the elephant were running not knowing where our scent had come from. After a few minutes all settled down except we could hear the cows screaming in the distance. These girls were not happy about us being around. We briefly joked about this "huge" one tusker and started a circle back to the truck. We had not gone far when we herd "Thk-owww!!!" the sound of a very large branch being snapped off. The trackers immediately pointed where the sound had come from.....and then another came.... We eased up on the sound and saw a small Askari off to our right front 30 yards away watching us, ears open, head bobbing back and forth. We had to move forward regardless. There was the hind quarters of a large bodied bull off to our left front. We slowly moved forward and as we did the Askari turned and slowly walked away, with not alarm. We moved to within 25 yards of the bull in front of us. His head was obscured by brush. I could see through the binoculars that the little bit of tusk I could see sticking out from his lip was massive!! I could see maybe 20" sticking out but immedieately knew this was what I wanted. I motioned to Scott with my rifle letting him know that I wanted this bull. I asked, just to make sure that I was not completely imagining, if he was 40+ and Scott mouthed YES with an expression that said to me, "shoot this bull" which Scott had never preassured me to shoot a bull even the nice 40 pound bull I passed on at 20 yards with only 2 days left to hunt. He then motioned for me to move in front of him and finish the stalk. I moved forward slowly watching the bull trying to get a clear shot. At 18 or so yards the bulls head was still in the brush, however; I had an open shot to the shoulder. I wanted to take a brain shot but I also felt preassure that time was not on our side with the Askari behind us and the wind relentlessly swirling. I raised my 500 NE and fired, the bull swung away from us and took a shot meant for the hip but apparantly misse the bone. We took off running down the path the elephant had cleared in its frenzied escape. The bull went maybe 60 yards and stopped, I could not see the elephant but I could see dark spots in the jess. I raised my binoculars and could make out the crease behind the fron leg. Scott looked at me and said he broke his other tusk off, he had a horrified look on his face, I immedieately assured him it was not an issue. I kneeled down and fired two more 500 NE bullets into him. He went 30 more yards and went down. As we approached we could finally see the massive tusk sticking out of this gigantic bull. It caught us both by suprise, Scott said he knew it was a large bull but wouldnt have guessed this size. We just never had a good look at him before I shot the first time. This was the one tusked bull the boy had told us about. Upon skinning it was found that it must have been genetic as the skull never developed a socked on the other side. There was a small hole that was maybe 6" in diameter. Scott and I were both ecstatic. I assured him that I would have taken this bull even had I known it only had one tusk. I know MJines will agree that one tusk can be as satisfying as two if the situation is right. This was the trophy I wanted. A old mature huge bodied bull in musth taken after a proper hunt and stalk it happened the way I wanted it to. This bulls last molar was fully in signifying his age, what an honor to be able to hunt and take this bull.

Since I took this bull at 8:30 am on the last day of the hunt we do not know what the weight is. To me it does not really matter, what ever it is it is. The numbers on the tusk are 18" diameter at the lip with little taper. 38" protruding from the lip. The heads on these huge Hwange bulls have a little more in the skull than most elephant. In a strait line from the tusk socket to the end of the tusk in the skull was 26". Most likely the lenth will be somewhere around 66". Well wait and see but from what Mike Fynn, Scott Bailey and Andre Esterhuizen feel, the tusk should be over 60 pounds. If it is great if it is not it will still be the most treasured trophy I have had the good fortune to hunt.

I never had contact with my dad until we met up in Bulawayo the day before we flew out. He was unsuccessful on his buffalo in the Omay. They were on buffalo every day but due to the impossibly thick bush he never was able to see the buffalo well enought to find a bull and then have a chance to shoot. He said it was tons of fun and very exciting being so close to the buffalo every day. The bush was thick to the point that Andre lost his tracker for the better part of 24 hours. Andre sent him back to get the truck late in the afternoon and he ended up loosing his bearings while trying to circle a cow herd and ended up spending the night in the bush. Andre and dad finally walked back to the truck themselves to find he did not make it there. They looked for him most of the next day to no avail. They found him back at camp around 3:00 pm the next day. He had walked 25 miles back to camp after he found some huts in the night and they gave him a place to sleep, told him where he was and pointed him in the right direction back to camp. Funny stuff once they found out he was not killed by a buffalo or elephant.

Dad and Andre also ran into a poacher with a rifle. They were on the tracks of buffalo when a shot rang out just in front of them. Andre said lets leave this area before something happens. Andre said if it is a poacher with a gun and he tries to shoot me and I shoot him, I will be in trouble so lets just not get into that situation. Andre radioed Joe or Martin from camp and there was no one hunting in that area. Poachers..........

Below are some random picture from the hunt that some may find interesting.

I hope yall enjoied the long report, if not at least there were many pictures to look at. I know that my dad and I had a great hunt together, and made some memories that we can both share for a long time to come. Thanks for looking.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jason
Congratulations,and thanks for the report and pictures!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Well done and welcome home.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Thanks for the super report.
Love the double!

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
VGJ tu2

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice Jason
Congratulations,and thanks for the report and pictures!

+1

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Congrats and a great report. Looks like you and your dad had fun. I really like the photo of your elephant with the double and the belt hanging from the tusk. The trunk frames the shot in a great way. Also neat photo showing the thickness of the skin.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
great report and photos...congrats on a fantastic trophy...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well Done!!! Great report!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36827 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the report and the great pictures looks like you had a great time.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Heck of a Good Bull!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report and superb trophies! Nothing like 'phunt hunting!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting elephant with your dad
What could be better
Great Report Thanks for sharing
Congrads!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics, and the chance to hunt with your Dad-priceless! clap

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I´m speachless...what a wonderful trophy and hunt report !!!!!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Trophy's and a job well done!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Wohoo!! What a hunt.

Thanks for the great report,

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt,silwane.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How great to have the pleasure to have your father on such an adventure. Pictures are great as is the story. A safari is just what you shared a whole story the humdrum,broke down on the road, the excitement and the smiles after a start. Long stalks and an animal not taken are as as important as a trigger pulled. A good story well told.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Looks like you guys cowboyed up and goter done.

Jason outstanding bull and to be there with your Dad, what memories.
See you in Dallas in January.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pictures, welcome home.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and trophies! Thanks for sharing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Wonderful photos!!! Outstanding hunt!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Proud DRSS member

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your father Jason!! Your old bull is awesome, with the experience to match.

Thanks for the report and pictures too...well done! tu2

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silwane

Wonderful early season adventure with some well earned trophies. Big congrats!

Great pix and I always like the non hunting shots. There is so much more to see in the bush than just the trophy animals. Can you tell me what the segmented thing is stretched across the road?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the comments, they are greatly appreciated. This hunt with my dad is always going to be one of out greatest times. Glad you guys liked it.

Mark,
That is a line of catapillars, the line was possibly 15 feet or so with maybe a hundred catapillers. Scott said they lay down a line of silk and they all follow the line, you may be able to see the faint line in the sand behind, (to the right) the catapillers, this is the silk, you could actully pick it up and it was like a heavy spider web like material. We saw this twice on this one day miles apart. I thought it was interesting.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did see some catapillars that I think are the same kind in Uganda. Steve might be able to post the pictures we took. Tere where in a mass on a tree limb

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they NOT (tere) my fingers don't understand what my mine wants them to say dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they!! not tese my fingers don't understand what my mind wants them to say rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!

Nothing better than sharing a safari with your dad.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Great report. I enjoyed it immensely.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and pics! tu2

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful hunt and a fine trophy. I really enjoyed reading your report and looking at the photos. Thanks.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report, pic's , and adventure. Thanks for the report and congrats to all.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific report and pictures, congratulations on a great adventure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent.......thanks and congratulations. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
really great report!
have to go there myself again soon...
congrats.

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats... this is what its all about.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote