Find
Notify
Tools

Selous hunt with Vincent Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fulvio, you forgot to mention one other important thing, at least for Madaba. It is so far from any habitation that we saw no evidence whatsoever of poaching of animals or timber.

Dan, I cannot say anything about tree-felling in Madaba but I can assure you that thousands of acres of land were cleared of trees to make way for a "debris-free" in the flood zone once the dam started filling.

Poaching has indeed abated as already mentioned in one of my previous comments; last year I saw several very decent elephants in MS1 which has a common north boundary with MA1.

I might add that in its heyday, Madaba was an elephant stronghold but then again, the entire Selous Game Reserve could have been regarded as an elephant stronghold with one of the largest concentrations of elephants in Africa conservatively estimated at around 120,000 ... until the poaching started and decimated the numbers by at least 60%.

Posts: 1906 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
At this point we were focusing mainly on a crocodile for me and possibly another buffalo for Danny if we found a really good one. We had a bait from Jim’s hippo as well as a separate croc bait in another arm of the lake. Jim was done as he’d shot everything he wanted for his first African hunt.

Croc bait

At the location where this bait was placed, we built a walk up blind that would require us to walk in from an adjacent cove and I’d have a shot of about 70 yards, assuming we had a good candidate at the bait. There were quite a few crocs around, mostly 10-12 footers though we’d seen one that was much bigger.

We were sneaking toward our blind, still above the cove to the south, when Danny hissed to get everyone’s attention. He noticed a croc right against the shoreline laying in heavy brush where the only thing visible was the top of his broad back. Alan and I snuck down toward the big croc, leaving everyone except Nyoni behind. We crawled to 38 yards from the big croc and whispered back and forth about where to shoot. Unfortunately, the brush was thick enough that I couldn’t be sure of a clear brain shot. Eventually the croc swam away, never giving a good shot opportunity. I thought the croc might be 15’ long but Alan would only say it was a solid 14’+ croc. Regardless, it was a very big flat dog.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Fulvio, you forgot to mention one other important thing, at least for Madaba. It is so far from any habitation that we saw no evidence whatsoever of poaching of animals or timber.

Dan, I cannot say anything about tree-felling in Madaba but I can assure you that thousands of acres of land were cleared of trees to make way for a "debris-free" in the flood zone once the dam started filling.

Poaching has indeed abated as already mentioned in one of my previous comments; last year I saw several very decent elephants in MS1 which has a common north boundary with MA1.

I might add that in its heyday, Madaba was an elephant stronghold but then again, the entire Selous Game Reserve could have been regarded as an elephant stronghold with one of the largest concentrations of elephants in Africa conservatively estimated at around 120,000 ... until the poaching started and decimated the numbers by at least 60%.

Yes, a very substantial amount of timber was removed when the dam was being built. The expected high water mark is quite obvious when one looks across the lake at the park side or even across large inlets. Given the size of the lake, a massive amount of timber was removed. At full capacity the lake is going to be huge.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Danny and Jim flew out and returned home the day after we encountered the huge crocodile. We checked the bait where Jim shot his hippo and built a blind, but I really didn’t like that spot. It was very thick and the water was deep right up to the shore. There were a large number of crocodiles but it seemed like a difficult place to hunt. I really hoped we’d get one at the other location.

Danny got to experience croc hunting but missed out on seeing me take one. He really enjoyed being on my hippo hunt and leopard hunt, so we both hoped he’d be there when I shot a croc. It wasn’t meant to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan:

Great report and very fine pictures.

I had never seen a close-up broadside picture of a hippo.

Damn that's a big animal Jim shot.

Glad you all had such a great trip and hunt.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

Thanks Fulvio

In hearing from you and Dan it sounds like the eastern portions of both of those blocks may be an area where the elephants at least escaped the worst of the poaching pressure?

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The next day we checked the bait where I hoped we’d be successful and as we were sneaking toward the walk up blind we could hear splashing at the bait so we knew crocs were there. After just a couple minutes Alan motioned for me to get in shooting position as a large croc had moved in, scattering half a dozen smaller crocs. As I peered through the shooting hole I could see the head and back of a large croc right at the bait, quartering away. I’d already set the Firedot reticle before moving into position, so simply placed the red dot at the base of the ear and squeezed. The bullet entered right at the ear and exited just below the offside eye.

The croc measured 13’2”. I firmly believe the bigger croc from earlier would have been 15’+. Alan would only say it was solidly 14’+.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thats a big croc tu2

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
We had many other interesting moments. Saw wild dogs twice, a pack of 9 and also 11.

Also saw several snakes including this puff adder. I have great video of it ‘puffing’ but can’t upload the video. If someone knows how, I’ll send it to add. Here’s a photo for now.

A plover with eggs. Amazingly well camouflaged right in the open.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Things that go Pop…

One of the days I was riding with Jim, we were driving along a 2-track and suddenly heard a loud POP sound. We assumed that a tire had punctured and got off the truck to look. Much to our surprise, we’d run over a puff adder that we hadn’t seen laying in one of the tire tracks. Apparently, as the truck approached, the snake inflated to give its exhaled ‘puff’ warning, but before it could our tire ran over it from the head to tail. All the air had nowhere to go so the snake literally popped!

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible photos!!

On my 19 safaris I have never seen Wild Dogs!! We did a photo safari in the Timbavati Private Reserve on the North side of Kruger Park. On the last night of this tour, we were fetted by a show of some 50 Wild Dogs... my wife was beat and stayed back!! What a great show and surprise!!

Dan, you are living under the right stars to get this photo!!

I don't like snakes, and this PUFF only reminds me of PH JOHN SHARP'S run in with a Puff Adder... almost losing his life... but finally only half of an Index finger!!

What a great safari!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2569 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, great pics, and great trophies!
Congratulations!!

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 679 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats again to you and your son Dan! Thanks for all the updates along the way. The Selous is a special place, and everyone should hunt there at least once.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Congrats again to you and your son Dan! Thanks for all the updates along the way. The Selous is a special place, and everyone should hunt there at least once.

Once is not enough!

Been there dozens of times, and heading out soon to keep Alan on his toes! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
The next day we checked the bait where I hoped we’d be successful and as we were sneaking toward the walk up blind we could hear splashing at the bait so we knew crocs were there. After just a couple minutes Alan motioned for me to get in shooting position as a large croc had moved in, scattering half a dozen smaller crocs. As I peered through the shooting hole I could see the head and back of a large croc right at the bait, quartering away. I’d already set the Firedot reticle before moving into position, so simply placed the red dot at the base of the ear and squeezed. The bullet entered right at the ear and exited just below the offside eye.

The croc measured 13’2”. I firmly believe the bigger croc from earlier would have been 15’+. Alan would only say it was solidly 14’+.

Very nice croc and well done on a difficult target.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing how much the adder's camo pattern resembles our local prairie rattlers.

Great pix Dan.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
One thing I neglected to mention was that we brought Alan a couple fishing outfits, a spinning rod setup as well as one conventional outfit. We also brought a bunch of terminal tackle so Alan is well equipped for future fishing. After we had the leopard in the salt we took the balance of that day to enjoy some fishing for Tigerfish and Catfish.

Danny and Alan enjoyed using the rods, while Lema, Robert & Nyoni fished with hand lines. I stood crocodile watch with my .375.

They caught a bunch of catfish & vundu, as well as a few small Tigerfish. The tigers were released but the catfish all went home to be the guests of honor at a fish dinner for the entire crew.

Even small tigers have formidable teeth

The lake is about 1/3 full so there is a lot of shoreline brush to contend with. And lots of crocs. Alan has purchased an 18’ boat in Zimbabwe which he will bring to Tanzania next year. Once the lake is full I expect the fishing to be very good. He also plans to build a small camp near the lake for fishing as well as hippo & croc hunting.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Fantastic trip!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and photos! Thank you for taking the time to share with us!!!

The idea of a classic safari in such a remote and historic place is very enticing. One day I'd love to try the Selous for hippo on land and buffalo.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAGuardian:
Outstanding report and photos! Thank you for taking the time to share with us!!!

The idea of a classic safari in such a remote and historic place is very enticing. One day I'd love to try the Selous for hippo on land and buffalo.

Alan is now booking for 2025 & 2026, just saying! 2024 is already fully booked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I’ve already got hunts on the books for 2024 and 2025 but 2026 is a possibility. Would you mind sharing Mr. Vincent’s contact information with me?

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’ve already got hunts on the books for 2024 and 2025 but 2026 is a possibility. Would you mind sharing Mr. Vincent’s contact information with me?

PM sent with Alan’s contact info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

PM sent with Alan’s contact info.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan the Man,

Well done all around. Nice poke on that croc!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I have received 2 FORUM notifications from your posts offering a VIDEO on your Alan Vincent Safari. It has a small logo in the middle, and it will not open on my phone for computer??
I would like to visit your videos on this hunt!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2569 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my hunt booked with him in Sept of 2026 tu2

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and photos. Well done!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Got my hunt booked with him in Sept of 2026 tu2

Karl, You are going to love it! Rebecca will too. We need to talk.