ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Kathi Klimes Pictures from Mtn Nyala Hunt in Ethiopia
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kathi Klimes Pictures from Mtn Nyala Hunt in Ethiopia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Hi guys,

Kathi emailed me today and asked if I could post these pictures from her and Rick's hunt to Ethiopia with Nassos Roussos of Ethiopian Rift Valley (set up by Rich Elliot). Kathi said she would follow-up with a Hunt Report as soon as she can.

CLICK HERE for Kathi's post with live updates from the hunt.

Well done Kathi & Rick! thumb

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow... too cool!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Great pics!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Love the pics and can't wait for the rest of the story.

Congrats,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Great Pictures and wonderful Nyala, congratulations.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Goodness--what a Nyala!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
"awesome" doesn't begin to cover this thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing country, great pictures and the Nyala is awesome!! Good job Rick!

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C. THANK YOU for posting the photos.

Outfitter: Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

PH: Nassos Roussos

Rifle: Ruger 338 Win. Mag, 225 grain Swift-A-Frame, Zeiss 1.5 x 4.5 Diavari scope

Game sought: Mountain Nyala, spotted hyena

Game seen: Mountain Nyala, hyena, reedbuck, bushbuck,bushpig, warthog, Colobus monkeys

Airline: United from Chicago to Washington, then Ethiopian Airlines from Washington to Addis Ababa (stopover in Rome for refueling).

We left Chicago on October 7th. After arriving in Addis Ababa in the evening of October 8th, we cleared immigration and were met by ERVS representative "Gatoncho" (I am not sure I spelled his name correctly). He literally had us processed through customs in a matter of minutes. After exiting the airport we were met by Nassos and another PH Nicos, who drove us to our hotel for the night.

At approximately 5:10 a.m. blaring over the loud speakers was the "call to prayer". I believe this is what makes international travel so fascinating, when you experience other cultures and customs that you do not find at home.

Nassos and the Federal Game Scout picked us up at the hotel and we began the 10 hour drive to camp. Ethiopia was nothing like I expected. There were planted fields of barley and wheat as far as the eye could see. Beautiful mountains, villages with cattle, goats and horse/mule drawn wagons. Ethiopia is so green it is really hard to describe.As we entered Bale National Park we began to see Mountain Nyala feeding near the road.

The camp was tented under a metal roof. After settling in to our tent, we went to the dining area. I have to say, that the food we ate on this trip was the best we ever had on a hunt.

The next morning, after sighting in his rifle, the hunt began. The strategy is to glass from very high vantage points into small openings in the forest of the valley and other ridges. Several Mountain Nyala were seen every morning and afternoon.

The problem was sometimes fog would roll in and completely obscure any hope of spotting game.

On the third morning, one of the trackers spotted the Mountain Nyala that Rick eventually shot in a small opening. Nassos thought the bull would come into a different opening and had Rick ready for the shot (the picture of where Nassos is glassing is where Rick shot from). The Mountain Nyala stepped into the opening and Rick shot. The Nyala stood there for a second and then bolted. Three of the trackers climbed down to the base of the cliff and jumped the bedded Nyala. They also found a blood trail. Nassos, Rick and the rest of the crew went down and followed the blood trail, finding the Nyala bedded down, Rick finished him. Everyone was very happy and excited, especially Rick. The Nyala was eventually skinned out and packed back to camp.

The hunt for the hyena was really a lot of fun. The trackers placed a warthog carcass into a large grassy field and we went there after dark. Hyena, warthog, bushpigs,bushbuck,were everywhere in this field.Nassos got a hyena's curiosity with a mouth predator call, and Rick shot him.

We went driving around for a few days and eventually drove back to Addis Ababa. On the last day, we went shopping, to the zoo to see the Barbary Lions, and had dinner at the Greek Club with Nassos. Nassos took us to the airport and Gatoncho literally had security take us to the front of the line. After boarding the flight for home, the jet experienced engine trouble. The pilot announced he could not get engine #3 started. So we went back to the gate for repairs. We were supposed to leave Addis Ababa at 10:15 p.m., but due to the mechanical problems we left at 1:15 a.m. and missed our connecting flight to Chicago,but we eventually made it home.

Rick and I are of the opinion that this was our best hunting trip ever. The amount of game seen was staggering. The people of Ethiopia were so friendly and the country is so beautiful we cannot wait to return.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9488 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Wonderfull!
Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What spectacular scenery in those photos! And what a great mt. nyala - they are such beautiful animals.

Congratulations, and thanks for posting this report.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13635 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures of a great hunt. Congratulations again.

Man that country is green.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice report, glad to see Rick had a successful hunt!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Wow Kathi, truly a lifetime trophy! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fascinating Kathi. Really enjoyed the on-the-scene reporting and the pictures are amazing.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did it!!! Congratulations Rick. Job well done. That is a beauty of a mountain nyala!

Now Kathi, you didn't take anything this trip after taking such a nice ibex in Tajikistan? You're letting the women hunters down... Smiler

That's great to hear Ethiopia was such a nice trip. Don't hear too much about that country but it sounds like one heck of a destination for a future safari.

Again, excellent trophies and good to hear you had a good time and returned safely.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
WOW is all I can say!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
What a trophy....congratulations !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
WOWWW!! Beautiful pics, excellent Nyala and that hyena with the glowing eyes! Stunning!

Thanks Kathi-you have successfully moved Ethiopia up to the top of my bucket list dancing

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all your kind comments,they are greatly appreciated.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi;

Your adventure was/is amazing! I want to go!!!!

Regards, Darin

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I'm envious!!! Smiler
Congratulations!!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ethiopia Ethiopia...there is still a dreamland left in the world for hunting.

Thanks for sharing Kathy.. Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Well done... thumb

Unbelievable how green it is and that is one awesome Nyala!

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fabulous trophy, Rick! Congratulations! Thanks for the pictures and the on the spot reporting Kathi. I'm so happy for the two of you to have such a wonderful hunt and experience. I can't wait for the first hand details.

Paul from Colorado

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great reports and photos, and congratulations on the trip of a lifetime.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and fantastic photos. I'm so very glad Ethiopia has recovered. It was a very different place when I was there during the drought, famine and war of 1987/88.
Would love to hunt the place. You never know...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice stuff, Kathi!!...congrats to you and Rick.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, what an incredible adventure amongst stunning scenery.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Received notification that the trophies arrived in San Francisco.

Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris is an absolute first class operation.

Our sincere thanks to Rich, Jason and Nassos for making this such a great experience.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Excellent Kathi & Rick Smiler

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding hunt congratulations.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I want to go there! Congratulations Kathi and Rick!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am beyond jealous.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Well done (betaam tiru!)

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote