ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Tholo Safaris Botswana- Making plainsgame fun again!!!

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tholo Safaris Botswana- Making plainsgame fun again!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
Just got back from a fantastic group hunt at Tholo Safaris in Botswana. This was originally booked with Jason Bridger and Kanana, but when the property went for sale Jason got us moved to Tholo.

I had 6 first time African hunters, BEGNO from here and myself (and I wasn't seriously hunting). I wanted to take my new double out and shoot a few things, but honestly didn't think there would be a lot of opportunity.

I am not going to write a long drawn out report, but will say it was all top notch. Jason and Clive Eaton took care of this group very well. I have never seen so much game, great kudu, eland, gemsbok, etc. 250,000 acres is huge.

Some highlights were 5 guys getting 55" kudu, 4 great old eland, a 26" impala, 39" and 41" Gembsok bulls. I don't have photos from 2 of the hunters, but will put up a bunch of the trophy shots below.

I thought I was kind of finished with PG. This hunt was so much fun because of the property, game and staff. Everyone worked for their hunt but came up successful.

I rode along with some of the clients a few times, but mostly I was allowed to just go out with tracker Kamuru and hunt. That was very fun for me. I personally took 2 warthogs (45 and 47 yards), 2 gemsbok (old cow 116 yards, bull 42 yards), 2 wildebeest (67 yards, cull 27 yards), a worn down old kudu (40 yards), and a zebra stallion (164 yards). I was using my new V-C .470 NE to get some practice, and I think I proved to myself that it will shoot a lot better and a lot further than I thought. I was a great exercise with the double. I did miss a zebra at about 90 yards trying to get one through some brush.

I think we ended up with 54 big game animals and 6-7 jackals for the week. Again, I am missing a bunch of photos, but you will get the idea of how good this hunting is. There was surface water everywhere from a really late rain, and I can't imagine how good it would be with leaves off and dry conditions, but honestly it was beautiful being green, and the hunting was still very good. I think I am going to set aside 3-4 days next year just to track eland.

This was such a success I am going to take 2 groups back to back next year at a special rate. Also thinking about putting together a later season double rifle or big bore rifle group hunt. Jason said we could do 3 old worn or broken eland bulls plus 5 wildebeest (and any trophies a la carte) for an unbelievably low package price.

If anyone is interested let me know. I am already over 1/2 full on the first groups for next year.

There could not be abetter place for a first PG safari, or a regular PG safari for that matter in my opinion. This really renewed me for a FUN hunt in Africa at incredibly low costs.

Here are about 80% of the trophies the last morning. Still some in skinning shed.

116 yards

BEGNO's brute

Kamuru and I (164 yards)

26" impala

10' Black Mamba Kamuru killed

Puff Adder

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looked like you had a superb time with the guys Tim. Nice hunt. Have heard great things about Clive's outfit and you verified that. Obviously an excellent company. And I still love hunting PG... just to be in the bush on tracks with a rifle over your shoulder is worth the price of admission regardless of what is on the menu!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

sent you a PM.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

I had no idea other than you would have a great hunt. Clive does a great job and the area is very well managed. That Kamuru is a special human. I've never seen a guy enjoy his job more.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
That impala........holy cow.......amazing.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be there in 34 days (but who's counting) with my fifteen year old youngest son and an old Army buddy. Great pics!

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos great trophies I thought that hunting was banned in Botswana

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
hunting is legal on private land. Gov't concessions are closed, but all the guys over there really feel things are on the right track to open back up...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome adventure!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
I love those eland. Couldn't ask for much more in one.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful trophies! Thanks for posting them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
It looks like a fun time all around. Well done .

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Smiler

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
We are leaving on the 15th for Tholo. I can't wait to get there!

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats, looks like the skinners were kept pretty busy.

Mike

Posts: 21271 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Many fine trophies there and as Mike said the skinners must have been working overtime.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Wow!! If you had to pay by the smile you be paying this off for a long time. Love the snake pictures!!

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7595 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The Botswana snake photos reminded me of why I hate snakes so much.

I have two snake stories from my African travels.

Once in Djibouti I had a noise tapping on the glass of my office, I looked through the window to see a beady eyed bastard trying to figure out how to slip through a window. I thought it was a small python so I walked outside and non chalantly grabbed it by the tail and drug it away from the window.

When I took hold of his tail, his head flaired out I dropped him and ran to get a shovel. About 5 minutes worth of excitement eventually left him headless and in the trashcan, and then another 5 minutes trying to figure out what the hell it was on the internet.

I can only say bravery and stupidity often go hand in hand. Any cobra is a damn scary snake.

My 2nd African snake story was in Namibia. One of the bushmen trackers had killed a puff adder that morning and threw it in the road by where we picked him up for work. When we stopped the truck to pick him up, we parked right on top of the dead snake (unbeknownst to us), as I stepped out of the vehicle and onto the dead snake I felt the dreaded "I just stepped on a snake feeling", and yelled "snake" and started jumping on the snakes head. After a few jumps I realized it was already dead.

Me yelling snake caused the PH in the other side of the land rover to come unglued as he did a snake dance (knocking his head on the top of the landrover with her jerks and jumps, eventually we had a hell of a laugh afterward.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During my several hunts in RSA, Zim, Namibia and Bots, all during the months of July and August, I've seen the most snakes in Namibia. Cobras, puffys, boomslang, mambas and rock pythons. My experience is anecdotal, I know, but I wonder if the habitat found in Namibia is more beneficial to snakes than elsewhere in Southern Africa.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
TWL,

Fewer people, killing fewer snakes, equals more snakes.

Same thing anywhere you go without lots of people.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote