Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania 2 Lion hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted
A few months back I posted a report on 2 brothers on a 21 day full bag hunt to the Ugunda area in western Tanzania and was unable to post photo's , I have now worked out how to do so please see the pictures which correspond with the thread on the Farris Brothers hunt to Tanzania , to recap we hunted the Ugalla river open area adjoining the Ugunda Park.
Dallas Texas = Tony Farris and Lloyd Farris collected two of most of the east Tanzanian species : Lion Leopard , Hippo , croc, Sable , Buffalo , Topi , Defassa waterbuck , warthog , East African kudu , Hartebeest, Roan , Zebra, Impala, oribi, reedbuck, Duiker , Dik Dik , hyena , bushbuck and small cats such as Genet , Civet , and Serval.
The hunt started in Dar Es Salaam and we flew to Ugalla where PH's Dylan Cloete and John Martin Venter joined us. The hunt was 21 days but we finished up on the 18th with Tony taking 16 trophies and Lloyd 23.
Tony Farris hunted elephant and Buffalo with us and Kalahari plains game in 2000 where he booked a Lion hunt which we had to postpone many times until he finaly came with his brother and their good ladies. The hunt was filmed by Steve Scott's productions and was screened on the Versus Channel : Big 5 African Dangerous Game. Below are some of the trophies the rest can be viewed on my Facebook page - Graeme Bruce Pollock.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/a...%202010/_MG_8629.jpg

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Trophies!

The Farris Brothers should not use Doxycycline as an antimalarial!

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graeme;

Another fantastic collection of trophies. Well done to the hunters and PHs.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome trip, what success!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1238 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats on a great hunt

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice..is this a 2012 hunt?

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations outstanding collection of animals

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Great Trophies!

Jeff

yuck

Or perhaps consider Metrogel for the Rosacea. Wink

Jokes aside, nice bag!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a fantastic safari.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Great Trophies!

Jeff

amen to that jumping

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hi Graeme,

How about a pic of the other lion?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Graeme: It's the weekend. Just got home from a little trip down south. And.......just saw the pictures and story. GREAT. CONGRATULATIONS. Brennan

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wow! That look s like a safari from the 1970s!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11183 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Wow!

That look s like a safari from the 1970s!

Yes it does..minus an elephant.

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have added the second Lion which was shot on the second day , hyena , serval and Sable.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Great Safari.

Some very nice trophy's and your PH's and trackers worked hard for you.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks, great report!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very nice Bag of Trophys. Congrats to all involved.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!! What a trip. You did outstanding and congratulations!!!

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thx for the report.

The first lion in the sequence is the one "we" knew as the "Isimbira male". His pride consisted of at least 6 adult females and 2 sub-adult females and he owned the territory between our block in the Ugalla Game Reserve and Ugunda Open Area. We had been observing him for the previous two years, apprehensive of the fact that as he roamed beyond our block boundary patrolling his territory he could very likely be shot. Unfortunate circumstances.

This is a typical example of the importance of maintaining large enough hunting blocks or a cluster of smaller adjoining blocks to viably manage lion hunting in a sustainable way.

I note a tiny roan and a young kudu and waterbuck trophy in the one photo. Unfortunate because that ecosystem really has outstanding trophies of those species!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dream safari!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first lion in the sequence is the one "we" knew as the "Isimbira male". His pride consisted of at least 6 adult females and 2 sub-adult females and he owned the territory between our block in the Ugalla Game Reserve and Ugunda Open Area. We had been observing him for the previous two years, apprehensive of the fact that as he roamed beyond our block boundary patrolling his territory he could very likely be shot.

Bwanamich
There is always somewhere a Boundry... Dont tell me this Lion is not a Shooter !!!

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
quote:
The first lion in the sequence is the one "we" knew as the "Isimbira male". His pride consisted of at least 6 adult females and 2 sub-adult females and he owned the territory between our block in the Ugalla Game Reserve and Ugunda Open Area. We had been observing him for the previous two years, apprehensive of the fact that as he roamed beyond our block boundary patrolling his territory he could very likely be shot.

Bwanamich
There is always somewhere a Boundry... Dont tell me this Lion is not a Shooter !!!

Did I say that? We did not shoot it because we knew he held a pride with sub-adults. That was our internal decision, that's all.

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a full bag!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done,great hunt there,JM and Dylan are great guys.

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bwanamich

WOW Bwana Mitch , do you really want to go into this debate , frankly I must question why you would attempt a loosely veiled ethical stand point which loosely questions the ethic of the hunt, after 35 years of wildlife conservation which 10 where with National Parks Service and involved lion monitoring we could start a long rehash of Lion Population dynamics , to avoid this I point out one critical and veery salient point - the male was old his genetics were passed on and his time was as close to up as possible - conservation in action is harvesting a trophy that generates tangible benefits to wildlife conservation and the harvest is before the trophy dies or disappears with no benefit to conservation. My problem with your post is that it epitomizes what I call disease marketing, this is when a competitor comments on another outfitter in order to attempt to strengthen their market share by discrediting the competition. That said please can you send me a photo of the lion from your research data for our records so we can be sure we are speaking about the same Lion. Thanks Graeme

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice trophies. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
First Lion is a beauty. Great Croc and well done on the Leopards.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
....apprehensive of the fact that as he roamed beyond our block boundary patrolling his territory he could very likely be shot.

Bwanamich's comment only confirms that the lion is fair-game once he leaves his "home" ground.

The he led a protected life by virtue of the fact that he was a known pride holder in one hunting area reconfirms that the hunting ethics for lion are rigorously observed by some outfitters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice lions!! And great hunt report.

Posts: 54 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
quote:

Bwanamich

WOW Bwana Mitch , do you really want to go into this debate , frankly I must question why you would attempt a loosely veiled ethical stand point which loosely questions the ethic of the hunt, after 35 years of wildlife conservation which 10 where with National Parks Service and involved lion monitoring we could start a long rehash of Lion Population dynamics , to avoid this I point out one critical and veery salient point - the male was old his genetics were passed on and his time was as close to up as possible - conservation in action is harvesting a trophy that generates tangible benefits to wildlife conservation and the harvest is before the trophy dies or disappears with no benefit to conservation. My problem with your post is that it epitomizes what I call disease marketing, this is when a competitor comments on another outfitter in order to attempt to strengthen their market share by discrediting the competition. That said please can you send me a photo of the lion from your research data for our records so we can be sure we are speaking about the same Lion. Thanks Graeme

Hello Graeme,

What I posted was very simply another example of the challenges facing the management of lion hunting.

What you describe in terms of a desired lion trophy for hunting is, generally speaking, correct. I personally disagree with your conclusion(the 1st and last point) that that lion "...was old his genetics were passed on and his time was as close to up as possible." To fit that description, he would have to be 10+ yo which IMHO (Note I say IMHO) that lion is not.

As requested, below are two images of the male in 2010.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the photos it is possible these are the same lions but i am unable to count the follicle on the left side of yours , also the right rear leg scar is not evident on our lion , the mane crown is very similar. Our estimate of the Lion was between 6 and 8 based on dropped jowl , sway back , well worn yellow teeth , no canine ridge at all , mane hair rough course carpet like , large testicles , warrior scaring, nose colouration , our field criteria matched the 6-8 year profile. That said lions generally commence mating from 4-5 and hold a territory (generally ) for 3-5 years , in Tanzania this may be less , this Lion was both a shooter from a conservation point of view and a sport hunting point, the hunt took 18 days of looking at a bunch of Lions and many were turned down which were not suitable , it was shot in daylight from a blind , it was a one shot kill , it was an adventure 10 years in the making , it was a hunt by two brothers out of Texas who shared 21 days of fantastic hunting in the Tanzanian bush , I simply think your comments are in bad taste and would have best been sent in a PM so as not to look like disease marketing.
Graeme

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thx Graeme,
I apologize if my post came across to you as "disease marketing". Note that I have NEVER marketed our product or services here on AR.

The easiest distinguishable feature in recognizing this lion is the scar on the nose. If your lion had that scar, then its the same one; no need to count follicles.

I agree that from an age point of view, that lion was "old enough" to be sport hunted. Our choice to not shoot it was simply based on the fact that it had sub-adults in its pride. Obviously, you did not see the pride when you hunted this lion which again is an example of the practical challenges we are faced with in managing sustainable sport hunting of lion. Had any of our PHs observed this lion without its pride long enough, they might very well have shot him.

One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Very good hunt specially buff, Lion and I am sure the alligator must be over 15 feet in length, congratulation for full bag of trophies and photos.

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich & SBB
You are two gentlemen , congratulations to you both !
The first for the wise and difficult but correct decision not to shot that lion.
The second for the wonderfull safari you had with your clients and the magnificient trophies taken.

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Indi ,
I think based on the photos by Bwanamitch we would also have turned the lion down based on conservation and trophy criteria at that time , but from our picture posted our PH made the right call at that time as this lion is at the end of his reign and would not have been the dominant male for much longer , so his harvest was conservation in action. He was utilized before becoming worm food with no contribution to the wise use of our natural resource. The first lion shot was on the marginal side in terms that although it was mature and most likely nomadic at the time , he was not past his prime. These are the dilemmas that the PH must encounter in the field and must make a decision , both in my mind were correct. That said we were very impressed with the lion population of the open Ugalla area.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very nice...I have always liked the pictures with the hunters sitting and the trophies surrounding them...Victorian-style...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! That look s like a safari from the 1970s!

More like the hunters themselves being from the 70's Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
John Martin Venter is a fine PH, several of my clients have hunted with him. Great looking safari for those guys!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote