New
Find
Notify
Tools

First trip to Tanzania
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter : Ultimate Tanzania Safaris (UTS)
Agent : WTA
Date : Oct. 2022
PH : Koos

I remember as a kid reading about Tanganyika but I never dreamed I would hunt there. When UTS offered a package for 2 buffalo that I thought was reasonable, I had to go. I wanted to hunt for old, worn down horn bulls, the age is the trophy to me, so Koos talked about that and I was glad to learn he only hunts dugga boys. He showed me a bull from a camera, nice mature bull but I wanted to hunt for something older, so I asked him if we would hunt for a bull like that and when he said, " No, we'll go after something older," I thought, YES, we were thinking alike. There were also a few PG that I wanted to hunt just as animals of opportunity as we were hunting buffalo.

First morning out, not far from camp, the trackers spotted a nice Bushbuck in the river. Koos said "You want to go after him?" My reply was "Let's go". We baled off the truck, sneaky creeping to the river bank, one shot and he dropped in his tracks. We're off to a good start.

We had been riding for a while looking for tracks when they spotted a warthog. Koos said it was an old hog with worn down tusks, "You want to go after him?" Off we go, sneaky creeping . The pig went down in the river bed, so we eased up to the bank and the hog was right under us. He runs across the river, up the bank and stops on top. One shot and he drops, we are on a role.

As we were riding, we were seeing tracks of herds but not of dugga boys when we spotted a Lichtenstein Hartebeest. "You want him?" "Let's go." one shot and we had our third animal in about 3 hours. Everybody on the truck couldn't believe our luck, a lot of hand shakes, back slapping and most of all, smiles. We joked about we had now shot most of the PG I wanted on the first morning.
The next day things were slow, not a lot of sign until late in the afternoon when we walked a small stream that still held some pools of water. There was a lot of coming and going so the plan for the next day was to come back early and try to catch them moving away from the water. As we are heading back to camp, dusk just beginning to fall, one of the trackers spotted a bull. I don't speak their language but understood what was going on. Koos took one look through his binos and he said, " Let's go". The excitement level went through the roof. We used every tree and bush to close the distance but he sees us and is facing straight on to us. Koos puts up the sticks and says, "Right in the chest". I shoot, the bull buckles and starts running. I could tell he was hit hard and I shoot again, he goes maybe 60 yards and goes down. A couple of insurance shots and the hand shakes, backslapping and hugs began. What a bull, his horns were polished smooth, tips worn down, a dream bull, exactly the kind I wanted. We all took time to admire him. It was special.

The next morning we head back to the stream where we saw the sign, still riding high from the bull the day before when everybody saw them at the same time, two bulls standing in the grass. We are a great team working together now, my job is to get out of the truck as fast as possible, as soon as I have both feet on the ground, I'm handed my rifle, Koos has the sticks and the tracker has Koos rifle. We're off in seconds. The bulls didn't run far and were standing facing us with their heads held high. Koos said, " The one on the right, in the chest." I shoot, hear a loud whack, the bull bows his head and says thanks, then runs off. The shot felt good, sounded good and looked good though I thought the shot might have been a touch high. We wait for the bellow but only hear silence. Followed the tracks for a short distance and found good blood, a little further and he is spewing blood so we know he won't go far but after about 75 yards he goes into some high grass which is over our heads. We see the trail going in the grass and the blood. Stopping to take a deep breath, one of the trackers climbs a small tree to try and look down in the grass hoping to see the bull. He motioned the bull is down but I don't know if he is down dead or down waiting for us. Entering the grass with our rifles at ready we found the bull dead just a short distance away. You talk about some serious hugs and smiles, what an experience to share with the team. I slipped off to the side by myself, kneeled down and said a short prayer. Koos saw me and asked if I was OK, I laughed and said, "Just thanking the Lord."

After only 3 days we had taken all the animals I wanted except Bush Pig, so with 7 days left to hunt what do we do. I thought why don't we try for a Hyena. We hung a buffalo hide and threw out some bones but really needed an animal for bait. The bush Pig would do nicely but they were proving to be difficult. Twice I had a hog in my sights waiting for them to take two or three steps to move into an opening but they just happened to walk the other way. Close but no bacon. We had hyena chewing on the hides but at night so I shot an impala to hang hoping this would get them to stay till shooting light.

The next morning, slipped into the blind at first light but there wasn't anything on the bait so we spent the rest of the morning walking down the riverbank. As we were easing along we bumped into a lion at about 25 yards. He wasn't very happy and fortunately ran the other way growling. There wasn't any activity on the bait the next morning but we got a surprise when we checked the camera, a leopard feeding. The next morning was some of the same until we left the blind. There was a hyena in the river bed which we could not see and to add insult to injury, he had a mouthful of the bait. Koos and I just looked at each other and laughed.
I never got a bush pig or a hyena but there is no way I could be disappointed. I had taken 2 great buffalo, 4 PG and shared countless laughs. Plus, I never saw any other people but our crew and that was nice.

The Zebra were the most beautiful I have ever seen, no shadow strip at all.

The camp looked out over a river that had a few deep pools where tiger fish stayed. You would get 2 or 3 bites then they would stop biting and you go to the next pool. Koos caught one on a fly rod and Peter, the camp manager, caught a couple. I hung a couple but lost them when they jumped.

Koos had a butterfly collection and whenever we would come up to a water hole, he would jump out with his net a catch butterflies. Not every PH does that. His daddy studies insects so he got it naturally.

It's always fun to burn stuff so we burned some leopard blinds

Koos would always stop mid morning and have coffee and tea so it was not all hard hunting.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Glad you all had a great hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed your report. Congratulations on some great trophies!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful hunt. Both of those buffalo are really nice bulls. Thanks for sharing about your hunt.

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic hunt

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 684 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing and taking us along for the ride!

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

What a great safari!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Nice bulls

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a fantastic hunt. Congratulations!

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Trip Bama!

Did you see any elephants?

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Great Trip Bama!

Did you see any elephants?

We saw 2 young bulls, some sign. The guys found enough elephant dung to burn for Tsetse flies but that was about all.

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Nice buffalo.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are living the life! Great report and exceptional hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Dillabough:
You are living the life! Great report and exceptional hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Bryce, I have been blessed more than I can say, but that hunt coming up next year will be the hunt of a lifetime, as you well know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, hell of a safari!

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on one hell of a hunt!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Love those old dugga boys!!!

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding trophies and sounds like you had a great experience. I'm a bit curious as to the concession, certainly no where I've ever been, but someplace I might want to go. Congrats on a great hunt.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eriknyman
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and congratulations on a fine hunt!

Posts: 33 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 08 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buff. What area was this?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, glad you had a great time. Tanzania is a very special place to hunt.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
Great buff. What area was this?

According to the booking sheet, it was the Rungwa Camp, which really doesn't mean anything to me. We flew to Mpanda, then a 4-5 hour drive. We did not see the huge herds of buffalo but we saw a lot of Dugga boys, singles, doubles and some groups of 4. The thinking was the big herds were across the river in another concession and the old bulls had a tendency to come in this area. Good PG, leopard was good but they learned not to bring the truck close to the bait like you do in other areas. One of the best things to me, we didn't see any other people but our guys.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
First trip to Tanzania but probably not your last! Well done on some top-notch trophies.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rungwa answers my question. I haven't hunted there, yet. Thanks. Nice safari.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy,

Well done! Nice trophies and pix. Stay healthy as we have some more adventures to arrange before you and I are looking at the wrong side of the grass.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt. Congratulations.

Arjun Reddy

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Thanks for posting the report.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
So happy to have been able to set this up for you and you have such a fantastic hunt. Well done. Let me know how I can help with Uganda.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Well done!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies, great pix, and surely a memorable hunt. Thank you for posting.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great writeup. Thanks for sharing and GREAT bulls!

Posts: 133 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Nice bulls and a good hartebeest too ! Congratulations and thanks for sharing !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Great report, thanks for sharing and very inspiring!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Love the old smooth boss broomed horn buffalo. Looks like you had a great time. I am envious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a wonderful hunt!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, very nice. Getting a buffalo like that was my dream since I was 8.

Posts: 17103 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote