ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Zimbabwe 2011 Hunt Report - PART II: Malapati and the Big Tusker
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe 2011 Hunt Report - PART II: Malapati and the Big Tusker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: SSG Safaris

PH: Nixon Dzingai

Area: Malapati Safari Area - Zimbabwe

Dates: TOO SHORT! Sept. 16 - 21, 2011

Weapons: All of em! I've never borrowed so many guns on a hunting trip in my life.

Species: Elephant/Buffalo/Bushbuck (Limpopo)

As a continuation to my Zim hunt report, below is a re-cap of the 2nd half. Right now I am at Sally Brown's (SOAZ) SUNBIRD GUEST HOUSE in Harare. Guys, stay here if you can. Very, very nice, good staff and half the price of anywhere else. Its about $75.00 per night!

First let me say, I can't say enough good things about my first week in Zim with Phillip Smythe - Ivory Trail Safaris, and our hunt in Charisa. I stand corrected on the description of the buffalo charge, as Phillip did in deed shoot 3 times, hitting the bull first in the center of the chest, then in the right leg and thirdly I am not sure where. I did not mean it to sound as though Phillip was not handling the situation well, he was, but it all happened so fast that was memory was a bit off. Anyway, on to the 2nd half.

On the 16th of September, Simon Dzingai, Nixon's oldest son met Phil and I in Harare and drove us all the way to Malapati (8 hrs). Trust me, fly if you can, its a long drive. Besides, the air-strip is literally a 10 minute drive from SSG's main camp, what a pleasure. We actually met Nixon at his home in Cheredzi (spelling), he and I drove together the last 2.5 hrs into camp. I just can't say enough good things about Mr. Nixon Dzingai, and his staff at SSG Safaris. What a pleasure to hunt with, and frankly, a very experienced/knowledgable guy, and so are his trackers! Once we were on the game, Nixon was accommodating in letting me be right in front with just Peter & Samuel, his trackers, but ever watchful as to ensure we didn't get ourselves into trouble. Phil was along as my cameraman, as he's actually a very accomplished videographer/photographer and no BS, he's a world-class wildlife artist!

Camp is accommodating, the scenery is great, and the area is loaded with game. I saw plenty of buffalo, lots of Impala, Kudu, he's got some AWESOME waterbuck, and most interesting to me were the wild Nyala! Nixon gets 5-6 bulls per year on quota, and I saw at least 6-8 good Nyala bulls in only a few days. It really is a game rich environment.

Day 1-2: We started out looking for a good ole Dagga Boy, and Nixon and his guys were keen to show me the area was littered with buffalo. SSG Safaris has the Malapati Safari Area, Malapati Community area and Sengwe 2, all combined his area is massive in size. We began the hunt in Malapati Safari area, and the search for a good buffalo bull. Day 1 had us on some good bulls, but no shots fired. Day 2, was a different story. With my .375 RUM out of commission, and my .577 double expertise at a minimum, I decided I should use a scoped rifle for the next buffalo. Luckily Nixon had a wonderful Remington Model 700 in .375 H&H, topped with a Leupold 3x9, so I was right at home with this one.

By 10am on day two we had been on the tracks of a lone Dagga Boy for about 2 hrs. Late September in the Lowveld, and by mid-morning its getting HOT, so we were starting to debate what to do. Nixon decided we should carry on, and we did so for another hour. At 11am straight up, we jumped the ole boy from his slumber, but unfortunately got only a fleeting look and he was gone. Nixon wisely decided we should leave him alone and return late in the evening to continue the chase. So, around 5pm, with only and hour of light left, we were back on his track. By 5:45 it was getting late, and time was running out. When instantly, he exploded from the bush in front of us, no doubt every bit as startled by us, as we were by him. We were all spread out a bit, as the tracks had began to wander in different directions, and the guys were trying to sort it out. The big bull jumped out right in front of Samuel, Peter and Phil, but I was about 15 yards to their right, so I couldn't immediately see him, although I could obviously hear him. By the time he was in an opening that I could see him clearly, he had already turned tail and was getting out of dodge. I had a 30 yard, hard quartering away shot on a running buffalo, but now with a scoped rifle I felt confident in the shot, and took it. He of course continued on, crashing through the bush, but stopped briefly on a small ridge about 125 yards away, and I managed to quickly get another one into him. With darkness quickly approaching, we were running after him with Samuel, Peter and I running ahead to keep an eye on him, and Phil right behind us with the camera. We caught him just before he was headed into some really thick stuff, gave him a couple finishing shots, and a beautiful 39", old, Malapati dagga boy was on the ground.

We returned the next morning for photos. A huge bodied old bull, sporting 39" horns!

Day 3: Early on the 3rd morning we returned to the buffalo we had shot late on the evening of day 2. Took pictures, filmed a bit, and took care of the buffalo. By this time it was mid-morning so we returned to camp for lunch and a much needed nap. Only a couple of miles from camp we can along a beautiful Limpopo Bushbuck resting in the shade, trying to get out of the mid-day heat. Having never taken a Limpopo Bushbuck I was keen to get him when Nixon told me, I should try for him. Quickly Peter and I scrambled out of the vehicle, but not wanting to waste the few .375 H&H bullets we had left, I was now using Phillip's .416 Rem (PH gun) with open sights. Hardly a great Bushbuck weapon, but all I had none-the-less. So Peter and I made a quick stalk to get a clear shot, and after a couple of shots with .416 solids, I had another great Malapati trophy.

Limpopo Bushbuck

That afternoon Nixon wanted to show me more of the area, so we headed to the eastern boundary of Sengwe 2 and a tour of the area that was much appreciated. He explained how this part of Sengwe 2 was great for elephant early in the year, and that the western part of the area, along the Limpopo river was good at the current time. So the plan was to head to Sengwe 2 in the morning, and have a look around for buff/ele. Just as it was getting dark, and we were within a few miles of camp, man did we see a beautiful elephant. Easily 60lbs per side, but it was getting so dark that doing anything with him at that late in the day, simply was not an option. But man, what an awesome looking bull.

Day 4: Sometimes I truly believe things are just meant to happen. Our day started as planned, leaving camp early in the morning as the drive to the western part of Sengwe 2 and the Limpopo river is about 70 kilometers. (Nixon is currently building a new Sengwe 2 camp which will be operational by 2012. We saw the camp, its coming along and in a nice location) After visiting the new camp location, we were headed into the heart of the hunting area when bam, we get a flat tire. Ok nothing new, it happens. So the guys changed the flat and we were on our way. We hadn't gone 15 minutes when bam, another flat! Holy cow, what's going on here? We only had 1 spare tire so now we were really out of commission. Sameul, Peter and Gift (Nixon's 3rd son), began the long walk back to the village for a tire pump. Thankfully it was the one day when the weather was very unusual for this time of year. Cloudy all day, with a very pleasant temperature, so hanging out on the side of the road for 3 hrs was not a problem. Sometimes you gotta remember, S**t Happens, so just role with the punches. By 11am we were back on the road, but without a good spare Nixon thought we should return to camp for some more rubber, I agreed! For now, the Sengwe 2 hunt would have to wait for tomorrow.

We decided to leave camp around 4pm and just take a leisurely drive along the river, SSG Safaris had recently taken a 58" Kudu and I told Nixon I would happily take a big one, if we got the chance. So, thinking we were just out for an evening drive looking for plains game, I left the .577 double in camp (HUGE MISTAKE). After only 10 minutes of driving we camp across a very good Kudu bull. Peter, Phil and I took off after him, but he was on to us, and got out of there without us firing a shot, thank the lord!

Another 10 minutes down the road and Peter tapped on the roof, telling Nixon he had just seen an elephant. Ok great, another elephant in the (Place of Elephants), no surprise there. I could tell Peter's voice was excited, but I didn't think much of it until I got out of the truck and Phillip was having a heart attack over the size of the bull's ivory. He said "man, that thing's got some long ivory"! So of course, Nixon and I were now getting pretty excited too. The bull had moved off, so all of us hurried after him so Nixon and I could have a look too. I did grab the .375 H&H just out of habit, but it had only 2 solids so I wasn't really planning on doing much with it. After only a few minutes we found the bull moving slowly toward the river, and the area boundary!!! Let me tell you right now, I'm no elephant expert, but it didn't take a genius to see this bull was something special. Instantly I thought he was 70lbs, Nixon said he's at least 70lbs. "Aaron, is you're trigger finger itching?" "Yes sir Nixon, it is", was my response.

Instantly Peter, Samuel, Phil and I were running back to the truck to gather more guns. I knew I needed to get Phil's .416 Remington as he had plenty of ammo for it, rather than using the .375 with only 2 solids. Man, the whole reason I had brought the .577 double, and it's sitting in camp, crap! Phil grabbed me all of the solids he had for the .416, a total of 9, and we were off. As we had over an hour of daylight left, that wasn't really the issue, but the big bull knew we were there and the park boundary was not far (1 kilometer), and he was moving in that direction for water, plus to get away from us. Peter set the pace, with Samuel right behind him, then me, then Phil with the video camera, and Nixon and the scouts right behind us. I was half walking, half running to keep up with Peter, and the anxiety was over-whelming as I was really afraid he was gonna get to the river (boundary) before we could catch him. The area was actually quite open, so I knew we would likely not get really close without him knowing we were there, plus with the way he was moving, none of it looked good for a really close shot. Because of that, I had already told myself that it was going to be a heart/lung shot if we caught him, I wasn't taking any chances with this guy.

The bull had actually gone a considerable distance, when Samuel's excited pointing showed me exactly what he could see. There he was, just standing there, almost as if he was checking his back trail to see if we were still coming. He was about 100 yards away, but luckily he was partly behind a big thorn bush, giving us the additional cover we needed to quickly close the distance. Just as we got to within 40 yards, he knew we were there. He turned broadside, came out from behind the bush, and started to move in the direction of the river. Peter already had the sticks up, I confirmed with Phil that he was filming, and the shooting began. The 1st shot was heart/lung, the bull instantly flipped around 180 degrees, I hit him heart/lung again from the opposite side, and then he turned directly away and was off like a shot. I had two more rounds in the gun, and I focused solely on the spine, but just didn't hit it. He ran about 100 yards, and stopped, with us quickly running after him, while I was busy reloading. Of course, you like to have confidence in your shooting, but with an animal the size of an elephant, one's never totally sure. Just as we got to about 35 yards, he again started to head for the river. I continued flanking him as I couldn't get a clear shot through the trees. At 40 yards he again came into the open, running at a very, very slight quartering angle away from me, so I decided it was time to shoot for the brain. Putting the little red bead just barely in front of the ear hole and swinging with his stride, I touched it off. His momentum instantly sent his crashing face first, and directly onto his tusks. Holy cow, all I could see were those beautiful tusks splintering! Thankfully that didn't happen, and as he layed on his left side, I put one more right between the legs into the heart/lung area, and quickly ran around behind him and put one right between the ears.

5pm, on the 4th day, and my dream elephant bull was laying at my feet. Instantly the singing started, and Samuel was telling me he's over 80, he's over 80! I didn't know for sure, and frankly at that moment, I didn't really care. I simply knew we had taken a great trophy, and Diana had shined upon us this beautiful afternoon. Had any of the events that led to us being there at that moment, not have happened, likely we would have never seen this bull. I've never been more thankful for 2 flat tires in one day, in my life. For certain, had that not happened, we would have spent all day in Sengwe 2, never knowing all the while this big boy was only a mile from camp.

I went to SSG Safaris on a recommendation from my friend and fellow AR member, Jack Syssoyev. He had hunted with Nixon before, and encouraged me to give SSG a try, and form a business relationship with Nixon Dzingai. As is my general practice, before getting too involved with any outfitter, I like to hunt/experience it for myself. That way I can give first-hand, on the ground experience, to any inquiring hunter. Folks, let me just tell you this. I've hunted all across Africa, with many different outfitters/PH's. Nixon Dzingai and SSG Safaris are the real deal! His areas are plentiful with game (I've never seen a place with so many Dagga Boys, and Grysbok, I saw 50 of em), his staff is professional, his trophy quality is exceptional, and Nixon himself is the most accommodating/caring and friendly PH I have ever been with. His sole purpose is to provide his client with a great hunt and a wonderful experience. Obviously we were lucky to get such a magnificent elephant, but regardless of our luck. An area must have trophies like that in the first place, if one is to ever be so lucky. Fact is, the very next morning, as we drove back to the elephant for more pictures, we came across another big/very old bull track, with deep cracks, and a worn down back pad. The dung was right in the road, it was big, and it was STILL warm!! Peter wanted us to follow him immediately, but my check book said, "no can do!"

I will upload more pics soon!

If you are interested in a hunt with SSG Safaris, see the SSG Safaris website or contact me at globalhunts@aol.com I will be returning for another big tusker, do you care to join me??

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I don't know what to say Aaron, I can't begin to understand your feelings when you saw that bull, before and after the shot. Let me just say what my friend fairgame would say - 'Proper!'
And yes you were lucky, but doesn't luck or the lack of it play such a major role on all hunts? And you are 100% about the elephants being in that area. One of Alan Davies clients took a 100 pounder in Malapati some time ago. Look at the bulls that Zambezi Hunters, Lowveld Hunters, SSG consistently take in that area surrounding Crooks corner...The big bulls are there for sure, many who hunt that area shoot decent bulls and a few connect with really exceptional ones. Congratulations Aaron and SSG and Nixon.

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Would love to see more pictures of the countryside if you have some.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Sorry the 577 was in camp but no matter. That is an elephant of a lifetime! Very few people will ever see an elephant like that and even less will get to shoot one.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Again...huge congrats! I can't wait to talk to you and hear all the details. Get some rest!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Great trophies!

But how do you manage to get your goatee to grow so quickly? You seemed to be clean shaven on the morning of day 3, but by mid-morning you were furry again? I'm just being picky because I can't grow a good beard.

Congrats.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he finally learned.

Great Job!

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I am thrilled your hunt was such a huge success. What an amazing bull!

Please, nobody shoot that one you let pass. We hope to find him there in February

Again, great job Aaron.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats Aaron!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Superb ele!

Nicely done, wish you could have used your .577 on it but no way in hell could you pass on that big dude!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Congrats on the bull and the entire hunt. It couldn't happen to a more deserving person in my opinion.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a bull! Congrats and thanks for the report and photos.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

What a Bull!!! Way to go!!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Well done Aaron, congrats!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Absolutely outstanding! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Aaron
Awesome bull! I know what you mean about Peter. He wanted to chase another buffalo right after we cut up the second one i shot. Peter and Samuel really love to hunt.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Smiler Aaron, you dirty dog Smiler Well the hell done man!!! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great elephant & I love the bushbuck. Sorry about the 577 not being at hand.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Aaron, lovely tusks, congratulations. Very nice report and great pics as well, thanks for sharing.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the trophy of several lifetimes!!!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opus72:
Great trophies!

But how do you manage to get your goatee to grow so quickly? You seemed to be clean shaven on the morning of day 3, but by mid-morning you were furry again? I'm just being picky because I can't grow a good beard.

Congrats.

Opus - That's a good question? I just got home, and I'm too tired to re-read my report, but maybe I got my days backwards somewhere - and Miracle Grow too!

I will post more pics tomorrow, and thanks guys for all the nice words.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Congratulations on a great, truly great safari. beer

Too bad you didn't use that 577 on Jumbo but ya gotta use the tools you have on hand ...

Rest up - we'll be looking forward to the enxt set of photos and of course, the video! tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Stunning elephant.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Looking forward to my first Safari and to meeting Nixon and his crew in a few weeks.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Great ele beer

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just adding a few more pictures! I leave today for an Ohio crossbow hunt, so I will try and add a few more when I can.

Around the camp fire at SSG Safaris

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Look Aaron, we're twins, but you and your elephant are "the big brother".

Congrats and welcome home.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the fine trophies, Aaron.

Great report!! I felt like I was running after that bull right beside you.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Aaron, beautiful elephant and a great story on the buffalo. Great report! Thanks for posting that.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Look Aaron, we're twins, but you and your elephant are "the big brother".

Congrats and welcome home.

That's awesome!!! Problem is, I think I've got a few pounds on you too.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron
I criticised your performance with the buffalo on the first part of your hunt, but it would appear that you made better choices this time. That elephant is a trophy of a lifetime - well done.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Aaron
I criticised your performance with the buffalo on the first part of your hunt, but it would appear that you made better choices this time. That elephant is a trophy of a lifetime - well done.

Well, fact is I made a poor choice shooting at the first buffalo at 90 yards with a double, can't deny that.

Thanks man tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Amazing....yup...that's the elephant we all dream about, congratulations Aaron! tu2

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, very nice ele! Nixon produces another great trophy!!! Too bad you did not have the 577 CRYBABY Good luck in Ohio.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Aaron, well that certainly answers the 577 question from the other thread. Thanks for sharing the story! It always seems that the best animals come around under the most unlikely circumstances! That old monster probably thought you guys would be out and about so he was at ease wandering near camp. That is truly a trophy of a lifetime and I bet Phil is still tyring to wipe the grin from his face!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Problem is, I think I've got a few pounds on you too.

Here you go: "The Solution"

Big Grin

Great elephant Aaron!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Aaron! Just a magnificent Elephant.
You make me want to hunt the big jumbos. Congratulations on a very successful safari.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
AAron,

Way to go, what dreams are made of.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Aaron.

Didn't have any traveler's checks stolen??? No laptop taken???

Amazing another guy has a great hunt with Nixon after packer tells us he is nothing but a crook.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Congratulations Aaron.

Didn't have any traveler's checks stolen??? No laptop taken???

Amazing another guy has a great hunt with Nixon after packer tells us he is nothing but a crook.

Nope, none of that. Everything went pretty smooth!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com