Tools

Karamoja Report with pics. maybe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
It will be very interesting to see how hunting in Uganda develops over the next few years. Any opinion on cat hunting possibilites?

Maybe Philip will chime in here. You can hunt leopard now but only if it is a "problem animal" hunt (PAC). Which as you know is hard to schedule. The other problem is that a PAC leopard is likely to be a scrawny female and will command a TF of $5000.00US.

No lion yet. No cheetah...probably ever. Don't know about caracal as they are numerous according to rumor and we even saw one just driving in one night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37743 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd say there's no shortage of leopards at all.... in fact, I reckon there's plenty of 'em around. As to PAC, I see no reason why there shouldn't be as many or almost as many problem males as females.

As for lions, you can expect to wait for something in the region of at least 5 years..... partly because it'll take that long for plains game food sources to increase to allow the lion populations to grow and also because the USF&WS will almost certainly want a 5 year study on lion populations before issuing import permits.

My guess is they'll ask for something very similar to this: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ion-final-report.pdf which was compiled by Prof Chardonnay and his team who I believe are now busy doing a similar thing in Tanzania.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say there's no shortage of leopards at all.... in fact, I reckon there's plenty of 'em around.

Agree 100%!!! It is the best leopard habitat I have ever seen (all of the kopjes for them to den in) and there are plenty of oribi and reedbuck to feed them.

Statistically...if you look at numbers on PAC leopard...females are over-represented.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37743 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think it'd be fairly safe to assume that there will be far more leopards causing problems than there will be permits for and the hunters will be able to pick and choose which PAC animals they want to hunt..... So don't see any problems at all in that regard...... To say nothing of the fact that (in most circumstances) the game laws only (currently) permit the taking of males excepting vermin such as baboons etc.

I also reckon that very limited elephant hunting will probably be on the menu before lions are.... that's only an educated guess though.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
To say nothing of the fact that (in most circumstances) the game laws only (currently) permit the taking of males excepting vermin such as baboons etc.

As I understand it (Philip jump in) you CAN shoot a female "problem animal" leopard if wanted...just a matter of whether one wants a small female leopard at $5K. There might be a deal struck in the future to reduce the TF on the less than optimal trophies if they are truly a problem aniaml that needs to be removed for safety. But again...that is speculation.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was present during a discussion in which the TF for problem leopards was the topic and it ws mentioned that it needed to be lowered. But it will take time to see what happens. Philip will be on top of this I'm sure and I think he will keep use informed.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Another cool hunt in the Karamoja! Congrats on some very unique trophies. What is the best time to hunt this area? North of the equator... better in October, November or December? Drier, cooler = better or do you need the rains and green grass to bring the game out of Kidepo?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Another cool hunt in the Karamoja! Congrats on some very unique trophies. What is the best time to hunt this area? North of the equator... better in October, November or December? Drier, cooler = better or do you need the rains and green grass to bring the game out of Kidepo?

Temperature doesn't change a hell of a lot by season becuase of the equator but despite being on the equator, parts of Uganda can be cool in the evenings due to the height above sea level.

Hunting season is year round and you'll find rainfall details here: http://www.uganda-travel.com/climate.htm

As a rule of thumb, Karamoja is generally drier with less rainfall than most other parts of Uganda.

I reckon it's always a good idea to pack a pair of good waterproof boots and jacket though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the best time to hunt here is when you can get an opening with Steve and Philip bring a big since of humor Big Grin your going to need it. and leave your shopping lists at home. there are NO time tables on these hunts. Thats what made it so great for me we hunted we gave the meat to the villages between hunting. if you don't want to spend time just seeing new places and meeting new people and not hunting even min of ever day this is probably not the style hunt you want. BUT THATS JUST MY THOUGHTS. Steve and Philip could fill in details better for you. I'm just a hillbilly who loves Africa

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS take your Malaria meds. ask Steve what it's like to get Malaria while on a hunt rotflmo

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
PS take your Malaria meds. ask Steve what it's like to get Malaria while on a hunt rotflmo

I'll second that.

I'm always careful to take my anti malarials and have been incredibly lucky not to have gotten malaria in all the 30 years I've been hunting Africa but it finally caught up with me this last trip and it has to be the shittiest disease evet created.

As hooker says be careful to take your anti malarial meds!

My other recommendation would be to take better care of your hearing than I did. - I haven't been able to hear jackals and the small sounds of the bush for years but it really bought it home to me how ducking feaf I was when the others could hear the local village drumming and singing to celebrate our arrival and I couldn't hear a damn thing.

I'd have liked to have heard that...... Confused

The tinnitus that comes with the deafness and made worse by the anti malarials and coartem is also a real SOB.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the best time to hunt this area? North of the equator... better in October, November or December? Drier, cooler = better or do you need the rains and green grass to bring the game out of Kidepo?

It started raining like hell right after I left and still is. Talked to Nigel yesterday as he is still in the bush with a hunter. He says May is probably out in the future as they are having hell with rain.

November December March April are good months...but to tell the truth no-one really knows about Karamoja! Ask again in about 5 years for the-rest-of-the-story.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
100% correct.
Lane was out of camp one day and We headed south and lucky for use it rained like crazy up north and we had great weather in the south.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
we had great weather in the south.

Raining like hell in south since y'all left...Nigel and hunter there as we speak!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hope he appreciates the shower I built!! Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Hope he appreciates the shower I built!! Wink

I am afraid he is hydrophobic right now!!! animal

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
rotflmo jumping rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wait a min who built the show?? and who built the crapper?? Big Grin Big Grin Philip mentioned new tires for Nigels truck might help with the mud. But I think a swamp buggy would work better. DAM black cotton soil rotflmo
But HEY we got ours right Lane????????? and mines prettier than yours jumping prettiest buffalo I have ever seen rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my buff had the fuck factor!!!!!!!!!! as per Steve's discription clap beer

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
But HEY we got ours right Lane????????? and mines prettier than yours prettiest buffalo I have ever seen

Both were proper old dugga boys...

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeep I will like to see how many more nice old bulls come out of this area in the next few yrs. We know there ar some more wonderful aniamls in the area

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
Has Nigel got web feet yet? have you heard how the hunt went? besides wet?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Lane,
Has Nigel got web feet yet? have you heard how the hunt went? besides wet?

Shot a 41 or 42" buff, a good oribi, a good dik-dik, and don't remember about the hartebeeste. But they are still hunting thru to day I think.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
With the quality and quanity of hartebeeste I saw with Steve and Philip I would guess he has a good one in the bag. We saw several that we larger than the ones we got. I saw yours in kampala nice very nice.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
They did shoot a hartebeeste. Won't sat too much more so that Tyler can enjoy spilling the beans.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats great I hope they had as much fun as I did. even with the mud Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Hook just asked me to post these for
Jackson's Hartebeest

Interesting Beest. Much rarer than the Red Hartebeest from further south. Here's a good one from Namibia:

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice critter Doc,
just talked to Steve and we found out we where right on Bells old main camp site. I have some pictures of the day we where there I'll bring them by some time