ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Northern Cape hunt with Wintershoek Safaris - More Photos Added
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Cape hunt with Wintershoek Safaris - More Photos Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dates: June 1 thru 14, 2014

Location: Republic of South African (Northern Cape) with Wintershoek Safaris. Wintershoek Safaris owns more than 132,000 acres in four areas of the Northern Cape – that is, Wintershoek, Gamagara, Thuru, and Linksfontein. I hunted (including my wife and daughter) Gamagara (~20,000 plus acres) for 6 days and Thuru (~44,000 acres) for 4 days with one day transfer between the sites. This is my second trip to RSA with Wintershoek, and I wanted to hunt those species that I'd not harvested before.

Travel: Steve Turner - Travel with Guns (no problems with the guns, which is fantastic). Hunt booked with Johnny Vivier.

Accommodations/Food: Fantastic

Professional Hunter: John Tinley, who did a great job and one of the best in the business.

Gun: 375 H&H Ackley Improved, 250 grain TTSX Barnes, 300 gr TBBC and 300 gr GS-HV, which was more gun than needed, but I thought I might hunt a Cape buffalo, but decided not to. Also, started bow hunting with a 70# Matthews Chill-R dual cam, but most of the hunting was with the rifle.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II with 28-300 Zoom Lens (L IS/AF).

Game Animals sighted: The animals were very plentiful, but quite wild and difficult to approach, and many long shots were needed, including some shots over 300 yds. They had been hunted quite hard, yet many trophy-sized animals were available. The animals were more difficult to approach than in Mozambique and Tanzania, where I've also been on 10 day safaris.

We saw the following game animals: Springbuck (including black, copper, and white variants), Impala (including the black variant), Black-Wildebeest, Blue-Wildebeest, Bontebuck, Cape Buffalo, Burchell`s Zebra, Common Blesbuck (including the white variant), Mountain Reedbuck, Eland, Gemsbuck, Klipspringer (on neighbors's ranch), Kudu, Lechwe, Nyala, Ostrich, Red-Hartebeest, "Rhinosaurus", Roan, Sable, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Steenbuck, Tsessebe, Warthog, Waterbuck, and Giraffe.

Game Animals Harvested: Bontebuck, Common Blesbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Eland, Gemsbuck, Impala, Klipspringer (taken on adjacent cattle ranch), Red-Hartebeest, Steenbuck, Tsessebe, and Waterbuck.

Comment: Hunting RSA is very cost effective, when considering accommodations and number of animals harvested. I think the best value for hunting plains game in Africa - I harvested more animals for less money than any other African safaris I've been on and the animals were larger trophies.

We saw many other species of birds and animals - see photos below, but we saw many others that I don't have photos of.

Thuru Lodge (example of accomodations). Gamagara was also very nice.

A cold front had moved through and it was cold, very cold, although it eventually warmed up a bit.

Frost in the morning...!!!IN AFRICA!!!...I thought I was hunting mule deer in Wyoming.

We were dressed like POLAR BEARS! - except we used Earth tones.

We needed a fire to keep warm...double gin & tonic also helped.

Gamagara area - looks nice but very cold.

Below FREEZING with frost on many nights! Where is global warming, when you need it?

Had to shoot this big quy at 333 yds - couldn't get closer. He was 38.5" by 39.5"...a beautiful Southern Cape Eland bull. I was told the largest ever taken at Thuru. Note the bullet hanging out the shoulder skin. It had tumbled through the eland's shoulder - it had hit a small branch just before entering, but still passed clear through the shoulder. He went down within seconds.

This is John Tinley - my 6'5" tall SCI Gold Medal PH - I know of no PH taller, which is good for spotting game. He was superb.

Countryside at Thuru - arid savannah country.

Klipspringer shot on adjacent cattle ranch by special arrangement. We saw many of these tough little animals.

Klipspringer country. We had to walk all over these rocky mountains to find them. I'm luck I didn't break a leg, but I kept up with my much younger companions. This - "keeping up" - is something that seems to become more important as you age.

My smallest, yet best trophy of the trip - a 6" by 6" steenbok - a tiny monster. He'll score very high. Puil - our tracker and driver - is holding the head.

This is the usual view a steenbok provides, after posing for 5 seconds and running before you can shoot. They jump like rabbits when they run away.

But, after you've shot one, they seem to settle down and provide nice still close-up pictures...go figure.

This nice bull gemsbok was a very pleasant surprise, a 39" by 39" plus bull, but cows grow longer horns. IMO, the bulls should be SCI-scored separately from the cows. Besides, boys don't like being second to the girls. Lighting for the photos was very difficult, just at dark with marked brightness contrast between light and shade.

Mountain reed buck. It was like hunting Coues deer in southern Arizona, and the horns are about the same size.

Mount reed buck country, although you might find anything in this area.

Red Heartebeest were also quite wild, but I finally got a good shot. He'll score high with abundant length and mass.

Some of the country around Gamagara - camel thorn tree featured with black thorn brush surrounding.

Common blesbok. They interbreed with bontebuck. I bred with the lady at far right producing the offspring between us. It was my daughter's first trip to Africa and she totally enjoyed it. Africa is special.

Tsessebe....I think I have it spelled properly. The tsessebe were not as wild as the gemsbok, blesbok, and hartebeest.

Country side at Gamagara.

Nice waterbuck - each horn nearly 30". He'll score very high.

Bontebuck...now I know how they differ from the blesbok, besides being more expensive. Beautiful animal. I plan on making a rug.

Bontebuck country at Gamagara.

My first bow kill...I'm a neophyte bow hunter, and I was shocked I hit this fellow on my first try, and my confidence grew. But, I blew a chance on a monster blue wildebeest, and I quickly came back to Earth. I need to get physically stronger and improve my shooting skills. Bow hunting is a humbling experience.

Typical bow hunting "hide" at Gamagara. Some of the laughing doves flew into our "hide" to stay with us - stupid birds. But, maybe not, they were safe from hawks, while in the blind. We didn't bother them, while they walked around under our feet. Besides they were quite entertaining and made the wait more tolerable.

Some photos of other critters at the two areas....

Black wildebeest were common, especially at Thuru, but they wouldn't let you get within 500 yds.

Kudu on the sky line.

Cape buffalo were not plentiful, but present. I didn't see anything spectacular.

Usually Gemsbok would not let you get within 300 yds...this chap let us take his photo. Of course, this occurred after I killed my bull.

Blue wildebeest were common and not so wild. I provided some special effects...makes them look more interesting.

Sable were available, if desired, but nothing spectacular.

Bat-eared fox were active during the day - apparently common in winter. They LISTEN TO THE GROUND with those huge ears for insects and the like. At my age I could use those ears, although it would look funny.

"Rhinosaurus" was common. One challenged our truck. My daughter was impressed. I acted like I wasn't scared.

Burchell's Sandgrouse.

Yellow-billed hornbills were very common.

Swallow-tailed Bee Eater.

Shaft-tailed Whydah.

Cape Sparrow.

I think these are Tractrac Chats, but LBJ seems appropriate until a definitive ID is achieved.

Golden-breasted Bunting.

Namaqua Dove.

Yellow Canary.

Marico Flycather.

Red-eyed Bulbul. He looks surprised by his reflection, but maybe he's turned-on by his reflection - a narcissistic bulbul.

Glossy Starling.

These huge and gross-appearing ground crickets were very common - apparently nothing much eats them. I wouldn't eat one either.

Our most INTERESTING sighting!! A Lagavaan or Monitor lizard - the second largest in Africa, although this particular chap needed something to eat. He was also COLD! "This is the heaviest-bodied lizard in Africa, as adult males average about 6 to 8 kg (13 to 18 lb) and females weigh from 3.2 to 5 kg (7.1 to 11.0 lb). Large mature males can attain 15 to 17 kg (33 to 37 lb). It is the second longest African lizard after the Nile monitor, Varanus albigularis reaches 2 meters (6 ft 7 in) in length, with its tail and body being of equal size. Mature specimens more typically will measure 0.85 to 1.5 meters (2 ft 9 in to 4 ft 11 in). The head and neck are the same length, and are distinct from each other.Their bulbous, convex snouts give an angular, box-like appearance. Their forked tongues are pink or bluish, and their scales are usually a mottled gray-brown with yellowish or white markings.

An intelligent lizard, several specimens have demonstrated the ability to count as high as six in an experiment conducted by Dr. John Philips at the San Diego Zoo in 1999. Philips offered varying numbers of snails, and the monitors were able to distinguish numbers whenever one was missing.

This monitor ranges in these areas: Central Africa (Democratic Republic of the Congo/Zaire), Southern Africa (Namibia, Botswana, Republic of South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, Angola), the African Great Lakes (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania), and the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Somalia). It is found in a variety of dry habitats, including steppes, prairies, and savannahs, but is absent from desert interiors, rainforests, and thick scrub forests.

People living with the HIV/AIDS virus in Yumbe district of Uganda have been injecting themselves with the blood of rock monitors, which they believe to be a cure for the virus. Most are discontinuing anti-retroviral therapy to pursue this anecdotal treatment. As a result, V. albigularis is reported to have become an expensive item in the Ugandan black market, selling for more than $175 each."

Giraffe in the desert...go figure. They were taller than all the vegetation.

Pigmy Falcon...lots of Sociable Weaver birds to eat.

Rock Hyrax were common.

Karoo Khorans.

A Kalihari Ferrari

All safaris must come to an end...some African sunsets. The point of light is Thuru Lodge.

An interesting effect - red on top of blue. I've not seen this before in a sunset.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it coming. Nice animals

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Great Trophies , BEAUTIFUL WATERBUCK ! Congrats on a great trip enjoy the memories.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great animals, love the steenbok! Keep them coming.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Thanks for sharing your hunt.
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos!! Thank you for sharing....and congrats on the HUGE Eland!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations...one heck of a steenbok tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
Stunning Photos. Looks like it was a great trip!

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
outstanding trophies and pic's Thanks for sharing.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Some really nice photo's. Congrats on your hunt, you took some very nice trophies Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice trophies and your pics are excellent! Of course, the steinbuk was a TOAD! And, your eland wasn't too shabby. Congratulations!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Your pics are awesome. That buff looks pretty good to me. You took some really fine trophies. Were your shooting distances long?

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Truly some spectacular trophies and photos...congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBullet:
Your pics are awesome. That buff looks pretty good to me. You took some really fine trophies. Were your shooting distances long?

Yes, the distances were quite long, all lasered.

Eland -333 yds.
Steenbuck -275 yds.
Mountain Reedbuck -250 yds.
Gemsbok -250 yds.
Tsessebe -200 yds.
Blesbok -250 yds.
Klipspringer -250 yds.
Bontebuck -100 yds.
Red Hartebeest -150 yds.
Waterbuck -100 yds.

Average for rifle ~220 yds.

Impala (bow kill) -20 yds. About average out of a hide on a water hole and salt lick.

You must expect this for RSA plainsgame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You really took some wonderful trophies. Congratulations! Was that buffalo soft on top? He looks really nice to me.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
You really took some wonderful trophies. Congratulations! Was that buffalo soft on top? He looks really nice to me.

He was a bit soft and his bosses were not that big. He does have nice spread ~40" but his horns grow laterally and are not likely more than 80" tip-to-tip in length. I was looking for a gold medal bull with both tip-to-tip length and great bosses - that is, one that would score 112 1/2 or more.

I've killed some very nice buffalo (photos are archived on this forum) and I've become very picky, especially when the trophy fee is $15,000 USD - the value of a disease-free buffalo in RSA.

But, a trophy - like beauty - is in the eyes of the beholder. Each to his own.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Wonderful trophies, and absolutely stunning photography.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful, well done, thank you for sharing

Great hunt report and pictures

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Safari.

Very well done.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Great Trophies..Congratulations,and thanks for sharing the report!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an observation I didn't appreciate before the last trip.

This is the moon as it appears from the Southern Hemisphere - not the "man-in-the-moon" but the "rabbit-in-the-moon". "Up-side down".

This is the moon from the Northern Hemisphere. "Right-side up".

Have you noticed this difference?

One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
WOW! Great trophies and spectacular photos. Good shooting as well.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report. Very well done !
Big Congrats

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Excellent trophies all round and some fine photographs. What could possibly be better?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impressive both animal quality and pictures. Thanks for sharing your safari.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Excellent trophies all round and some fine photographs. What could possibly be better?

Andrew, Jeanne and I have been on safaris in RSA (twice), Tanzania, and Mozambique; and, all were different and tremendous fun. It would be hard to rank any one better than the others, but a safaris in Zambia at the Royal Kafue with you may top them all. See you in late August. Warm regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on some great trophies and super photographs.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!!.

Thanks for sharing Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats with a great hunt and some great animals.
I specially like the Eland and the Steenbok.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Superb trophies - fantastic steenbok ! Beautiful photography! Thanks for posting and congrats on what was clearly a 'trophy hunt' !

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Again, great photography and the facilities looked five-star! The girls will get accustomed to that type of safari quickly. Come to think of it... so would I.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to seen the Mathews Chill R earned its keep. I'm impressed by that bow...might have to get one.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures and trophies.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Loved the trophies. Really enjoyed the scenery and other photos as well.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super report. Loved the birds!!!!

Posts: 10161 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats...........well done.... beer

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies and photos! Don't know which I like better, the eland or steenbuck?

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote