Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
Some people in NZ might just set up their own booth at Reno, killpc

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Now that could be fun.

Posts: 13 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Well, you all can believe it or not believe it, but up until today I was booked with one of the two NZ outfitters mentioned in this thread for May of 2010. There were two reasons that caused me to forfeit my $1000.00 deposit.

#1: It seems as though both outfitters are hunting and breaking the NZ game laws at will.

#2: After the way I have seen all of the Kiwi's "pile on" Kudude for posting an honest hunt report I am positive that I don't want another god damn dime of my money going to NZ. Maybe you assholes's should think about jumping up the ass of your own P.H. associations and wildlife departments! Or, do you want the U.S. to put that on the list of what the world wants us to fix too?

Go ahead and flame all you want, but my money will go back to Africa.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's an ass hat??

Happy hunting

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOWHUNR: Or, do you want the U.S. to put that on the list of what the world wants us to fix too?

Mike

So go. My noise has all it's skin on still.

As for the last bit there about fixing it, do you really want to go down this path? That's a whole big can of worms that would be best left shut.

Happy hunting

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wirehunt:
What's an ass hat??

I fixed it for you mate.

Mike

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, do you want the U.S. to put that on the list of what the world wants us to fix too?

patriot patriot salute Roll Eyes

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]As for the last bit there about fixing it, do you really want to go down this path? That's a whole big can of worms that would be best left shut.[/QUOTE]

I agree. You know my feelings, and I yours.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beleive me Bowhunr, Its not going to worry us one iota wether you come down here or not. The second best thing foreign hunters can do is cancell hunts to New Zealand over this issue. The best thing is to find an outfitter who plays buy the rules, and spend your money there.But if you want to spit the dummy, go ahead, I wont Lose any sleep.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just worked out why SCI member's are unsure of what to do, there's 68 full pages on bullshit rules etc and the grand total of half a page on ethic's haha.

In fact here they are:

SCI HUNTERS CODE OF ETHICS
Recognizing my responsibilities to wildlife, habitat and future generations, I pledge:
• To conduct myself in the field so as to make a positive contribution to wildlife and
ecosystems.
• To improve my skills as a woodsmen and marksman to ensure humane harvesting of
wildlife.
• To comply with all game laws, or the sport of fair chase, and to influence my
companions accordingly.
• To accept my responsibility to provide all possible assistance to game law
enforcement officers.
• To waste no opportunity to teach young people the full meaning of this code of ethics.
• To reflect in word and behavior only credit upon the fraternity of sportsmen, and to
demonstrate abiding respect for game, habitat and property where I am privileged to
hunt.

Happy hunting

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
And I won't lose any.

Mike

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wirehunt:
I just worked out why SCI member's are unsure of what to do, there's 68 full pages on bullshit rules etc and the grand total of half a page on ethic's haha.

In fact here they are:

SCI HUNTERS CODE OF ETHICS
Recognizing my responsibilities to wildlife, habitat and future generations, I pledge:
• To conduct myself in the field so as to make a positive contribution to wildlife and
ecosystems.
• To improve my skills as a woodsmen and marksman to ensure humane harvesting of
wildlife.
• To comply with all game laws, or the sport of fair chase, and to influence my
companions accordingly.
• To accept my responsibility to provide all possible assistance to game law
enforcement officers.
• To waste no opportunity to teach young people the full meaning of this code of ethics.
• To reflect in word and behavior only credit upon the fraternity of sportsmen, and to
demonstrate abiding respect for game, habitat and property where I am privileged to
hunt.

And...I am not a member.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Bowhunr - as the paying client you could have instructed the hunting guide that you were to be guided on a ground hunting trip , using a helicopter for transport only as required , and not indulged in any aerial shooting sessions or hunting a chased animal.

It would have been your hunt , and your money - you could have called the shots all the way. Specially now that you are obviously aware of the local sentiment towards aerial trophy collecting.

Local guides are quite capable of hunting in the locally accepted manner. If more clients demand it then it will become the norm , rather than the exception.

Dont think that Kiwi hunters are out to drive foreign hunters away , just some of us need to develop a few more social skills than are exhibited on here at times.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOWHUNR:

Mike

So I've worked out two thing's from your posts.

1) You condone shooting from a machine. (In fact I wonder if you would also do it yourself?)

2) Your scared of walking up a decent hill.

Happy hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, just when this thread seemed to be getting a positive, constructive feel to it you had to come along with your nonsense.Frowner

quote:

#2: After the way I have seen all of the Kiwi's "pile on" Kudude for posting an honest hunt report I am positive that I don't want another god damn dime of my money going to NZ. Maybe you assholes's should think about jumping up the ass of your own P.H. associations and wildlife departments!

Had you read this thread thoroughly rather than picking out what you wanted to you would know, if you were up to admitting it, that not "all" of us kiwis piled on Kudude. Certainly some kiwis handled him fairly robustly Eeker but several stuck up for him & the position he found himself in, credit where credit is due please & we're not all "assholes" any more than you guys over there are all "assholes" so don't call me that till you've met me & know me, you might then change your mind.

quote:
Originally posted by BOWHUNR: Or, do you want the U.S. to put that on the list of what the world wants us to fix too?

Now where on earth would you get the quaint idea that the world wants anything like that? Big Grin
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, you all can believe it or not believe it, but up until today I was booked with one of the two NZ outfitters mentioned in this thread for May of 2010. There were two reasons that caused me to forfeit my $1000.00 deposit.

#1: It seems as though both outfitters are hunting and breaking the NZ game laws at will.

#2: After the way I have seen all of the Kiwi's "pile on" Kudude for posting an honest hunt report I am positive that I don't want another god damn dime of my money going to NZ. Maybe you assholes's should think about jumping up the ass of your own P.H. associations and wildlife departments! Or, do you want the U.S. to put that on the list of what the world wants us to fix too?

Mike

It's working Guys jumping I hope they stop coming ... any of them that can't walk up a hill.

Hey BOWHUNR good call only smart thing you could do. Stay the hell out of my country. If you change your mind and come let us know I would like to meet you at the airport... to send you back.

quote:
do you want the U.S. to put that on the list of what the world wants us to fix too?

I detect a sense of frustration here about how you think the world perceives America, watch your language ... condescension; its becoming a common trait amongst some of you guys on this forum. The only unit's in the US's most dangerous war, Afghanistan to be granted presidential unit citation's are not even US unit's its the the New Zealand special Forces yes little old New Zealand, later joined by the Canadians ...

No one in New Zealand wants you over here to sort out NZ hunting problems, you are the problem in case you hadn't figured that out.
We don't need your sort of hunter in New Zealand. Go to africa where trackers and campboys can't get on the internet and comment on how you really hunt.

edit to add: Yes we are working on other areas to sort heli-hunting out but why should I sit here and read without comment, you think your money can buy silence ?

posted Hide Post
I leave for New Zealand in three days to hunt Tahr and this thread has left a bit of a cloud over my excitement.
I want to express to the NZ hunters on this forum that there are plenty of USA hunters that will ONLY hunt in a "purist" way, myself and partner included.
In booking our hunt we sought out an outfitter who offered a true backcountry experience, foot travel, long days, solitude, and sore feet! And that's what I expect. I do not expect a trophy Tahr in a river bottom on the second day of hunting. In fact, I may be the odd one, but I don't need to shoot anything to have a very successful hunt.
As a guide and taxidermist I've seen plenty of "slob" hunters where the end justifies the means.

If I was driving a client into camp and saw a large bull Elk and TOLD him to lean out the window and shoot (would never do this) I would bet a very high percentage of hunters would.
Hunters, guides and outfitters NEED to be self governing.

If any of you have been sheep hunting in Alaska or NW Territory ask yourself how it would feel after 8 days of climbing to have a heli drop a hunter between you and your sheep.

The thread is full of great information and opinions, except for a few who's passion seems misplaced.
I hope locals everywhere take the time to dicern between true "outdoorsman" and the "checkbook hunter".

I'm getting excited again, thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Hauser Lake, Montana | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's the attitude we're talking about.

Welcome to my country old_h&h, I hope you enjoy your hunt and wish you every success.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done old_h&h,I hope you have a great trip.Please post a writeup on your return as an example of a well run hunt.

Posts: 4234 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Just in case anyone's doubting that I not only talk the talk, but walk the walk, here's a tale of a hunt I was on a couple years back locally I posted on another AR forum. It's a silly long read, but what can I say; I'm a detail man. Wink

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=686107285#686107285

Mind I am not making a comparison about NZ vs. the White Mountains, as they cannot be compared, but our respect of the animals and determination to actually insist on actually hunting seem to be the same.

Cheers,

KG

P.S. Bowhuntr, I wish no war, and have enjoyed reading of some of your hunts, but I don't understand your sentiment. The guy shot critters from an aircraft, and whether or not he knew it was illegal, seems to me that any hunter would see it for what it was: cheating. The Kiwis jumped on him for that.

Here's a hypothetical: guests from overseas are in our country for a hunt with local outfitters, and then they return home and write about their 'great hunt'. They write of themselves climbing into a 4X4 or 4 wheeler with their guides and zooming around running down moose, elk and deer. Now consider how you'd feel if your coveted elk/moose tag hunt was taking place in the same area at the same time. I think you and I would be there saying a piece or two about it, no?

I respect Kudude's being honest about it, and I suppose I can buy that he didn't know it was illegal, but as I pointed out before, the whole 'I HAD TO SHOOT' thing was utter rubbish.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BOWHUNR:
Or, do you want the U.S. to put that on the list of what the world wants us to fix too?

Mate you dont actually believe that crap do you? You are delusional. Dont get me wrong, Im a geologist, I went through Uni with half Kiwis and half Americans and they are my favourite sort of person, but if you think we kiss any arse down here your mistaken. This is NZ we are talking about, not Australia.

Weathered, I can smell the uranium on his breath!

Im sorry you felt you needed to cancel your trip but actualy, all I can say is thanks. If there was no money in it then they wouldnt do it.

I think a point to take here is why is a Tahr head so much more valuable that a goat head? Because its so much harder to get. Sure, some guys have got too old, some guys have got too fat. Some people will never get that Tahr the hard way, but thats what makes it (or any other quarry) a pinnacle of hunting achievement. Sure, lots of people can afford to pay in cash, how many can meet the price in sweat? If you really wanted a Tahr head, and all that it meant on your wall, you would spend a year training. Envy my arse, You get above ten minutes per 100m climbed and then we will talk evny.

Posts: 13 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
old_h&h...With that attitude you won't have a bit of problem mixing in with Kiwi hunters..

I was in NZ for a hunt a while back, and I found the Kiwis generous to a fault and great hunting mates. But I didn't use an outfitter, but I did spend time hunting with some of the guys that posted on this thread. I had a great time...and learned a lot about New Zealand and the guys that hunt there...

It all boils down to ethics and fair chase...that is the only point they have tried to make.

I hope you have a great trip.

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zeeriverrat1:
old_h&h...With that attitude you won't have a bit of problem mixing in with Kiwi hunters..

I was in NZ for a hunt a while back, and I found the Kiwis generous to a fault and great hunting mates. But I didn't use an outfitter, but I did spend time hunting with some of the guys that posted on this thread. I had a great time...and learned a lot about New Zealand and the guys that hunt there...

It all boils down to ethics and fair chase...that is the only point they have tried to make.

I hope you have a great trip.

Z

And you headed off all on your own and grassed one if I remember rightly. I have a huge amount of respect for that, its no mean feat.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Just in case anyone's doubting that I not only talk the talk, but walk the walk, here's a tale of a hunt I was on a couple years back locally I posted on another AR forum. It's a silly long read, but what can I say; I'm a detail man. Wink

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=686107285#686107285

Mind I am not making a comparison about NZ vs. the White Mountains, as they cannot be compared, but our respect of the animals and determination to actually insist on actually hunting seem to be the same.

Cheers,

KG

P.S. Bowhuntr, I wish no war, and have enjoyed reading of some of your hunts, but I don't understand your sentiment. The guy shot critters from an aircraft, and whether or not he knew it was illegal, seems to me that any hunter would see it for what it was: cheating. The Kiwis jumped on him for that.

Here's a hypothetical: guests from overseas are in our country for a hunt with local outfitters, and then they return home and write about their 'great hunt'. They write of themselves climbing into a 4X4 or 4 wheeler with their guides and zooming around running down moose, elk and deer. Now consider how you'd feel if your coveted elk/moose tag hunt was taking place in the same area at the same time. I think you and I would be there saying a piece or two about it, no?

I respect Kudude's being honest about it, and I suppose I can buy that he didn't know it was illegal, but as I pointed out before, the whole 'I HAD TO SHOOT' thing was utter rubbish.

Leland (KG),

There will be no war and rest assured the thought never crossed my mind. I guess first and foremost I am very disappointed in a man that I had a lot of respect for. This outfitter runs a family operation like my own business and I was happy to have secured a booking with him. Then, due to this thread I find out that not only is he hunting illegally on prohibited land, but he has not held a permit since 2003. This to me is pure bullshit!

As far as shooting from a vehicle, no, I absolutely do not condone it! Kudude did what he did and whether I like it or not, it is done. The problem I have is with the NZ guys coming down on him so hard. If it is illegal, then he, his guide the chopper pilot and the other hunters should have been arrested when they put down. Police your own, that's all I was trying to say guys.

Now, you can take this for what it's worth NZ guys, but I do sincerely apologize for the ass hat, asshole and fix the world comments. It just goes to show that when a guy is pissed about canceling a hunt, and has had plenty of Crown Royal, he should be prohibited from using a computer.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leland (KG),

There will be no war and rest assured the thought never crossed my mind. I guess first and foremost I am very disappointed in a man that I had a lot of respect for. This outfitter runs a family operation like my own business and I was happy to have secured a booking with him. Then, due to this thread I find out that not only is he hunting illegally on prohibited land, but he has not held a permit since 2003. This to me is pure bullshit!

As far as shooting from a vehicle, no, I absolutely do not condone it! Kudude did what he did and whether I like it or not, it is done. The problem I have is with the NZ guys coming down on him so hard. If it is illegal, then he, his guide the chopper pilot and the other hunters should have been arrested when they put down. Police your own, that's all I was trying to say guys.

Now, you can take this for what it's worth NZ guys, but I do sincerely apologize for the ass hat, asshole and fix the world comments. It just goes to show that when a guy is pissed about canceling a hunt, and has had plenty of Crown Royal, he should be prohibited from using a computer.

Mike

There is some easy thing's to spot that will soon tell you how 'the hunt' will be conducted, if the outfit is saying four different animals in four day's then the pen will be smallish for the deer and the chopper used for the high stuff.
To get a good tahr in one day even on private land is good going when done on foot. It's seems the average hunt for a free range sheep in the US seems to be eight day's and I think this would be a good time line for a Tahr hunt with a chammy along the way, and that is only because the territory is similar and at times the same that they live in. (But not always).

Free range on crown/DoC land and a guarantee of a trophy in short time? "WARNING"

Currently there is a lot of battling here with the government and there different bodies on game animals and the taking of. God alone knows how long this battle will last.

I will say again, there is a small amount of privately owned blocks where free range fair chase Tahr can be got...

Happy hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on you Bowhunr.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tussock:

This is NZ we are talking about, not Australia.

Steady up there ace,stay on the fugn topic we can play sheepy games later

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
C'mon gryph - you guys called John Howard "Bonsai" cos he was a little Bush , and the King of suck-ups.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
old_H&H

You are welcome, good hunting and thank you,

Bowhunr good on you, I apologise if you feel I personally insulted you. My poison is Chivas Strathsla not far removed from yours if you do turn up one day I will still meet you but not to turn you back, I will shake your hand.

Weathered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

Cheers Bowhunr, it takes guts to make a retraction like that, thanks. I can respect your reasons for cancelling your hunt, but you really should come on down & try us sometime, you'd have a ball I'm sure. In our own quiet, self effacing & modest way Big Grin we're most of us nice people. The few that aren't we call "arseholes" Wink
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been one of the more interesting threads in a while I must say.
I am interested seeing most of the Kiwi's on here with there going out clothes on and typing properly for a change.

Bowhunta - better to have found out now than when you got here, that what you were paing for was not what you wanted.

I do feel sorry for Kudude though, he posted the whole thing without being shy about what happened believing it was normal and the "NZ Way'.
Well, as Ive said (and no one commented on it) has been the NZ way for so many years, shooting anything that moves anyway we can even trout in the rivers, that I think I can understand that, as I posted before.

Bowhunta - if you still wanted to hunt here, you know now there are other options than what the outfitters advertise is the 'only way'.

That is probably most of the battle, if these guys are only hearing what the Guides are trying to sell...

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
I am a little sore today, like many I have to train for hunts and took a little fall yesterday whilst cross country skiing.

Picture of sparrow hunter
posted Hide Post
Take heart Kudude we aren't all like"Weathered the six million dollar man" here in New Zealand.He is most likely one of those Barry Crump wannabees that polises the blueing of his rifle with sand paper and beats the stock on a post to cut the picture! íf you know what I mean . Thank you for your honest report Kudude. Maybe when Wheathered is your age he might be lucky enough to come across some mouth-piece like himself to piggy back him up the mountain if he is so offended by a helicopter in the park.I am sorry you had to pay so much to be treated like this. Cheers

Posts: 5 | Location: NEW ZEALAND | Registered: 04 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sparrow hunter:
Take heart Kudude we aren't all like"Weathered the six million dollar man" here in New Zealand.He is most likely one of those Barry Crump wannabees that polises the blueing of his rifle with sand paper and beats the stock on a post to cut the picture! íf you know what I mean . Thank you for your honest report Kudude. Maybe when Wheathered is your age he might be lucky enough to come across some mouth-piece like himself to piggy back him up the mountain if he is so offended by a helicopter in the park.I am sorry you had to pay so much to be treated like this. Cheers

How are you involved with guideing, or the helicopter industry?

One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for your honest report Kudude. Maybe when Wheathered is your age he might be lucky enough to come across some mouth-piece like himself to piggy back him up the mountain if he is so offended by a helicopter in the park. I am sorry you had to pay so much to be treated like this. Cheers

Given a name like sparrowhunter and the words offended by a helicopter in the park I would say sparrowhawk is a helicopter operator maybe even Mc Bride himself. I figured someone like that would show up sooner or later.

I am not offended by just any old helicopter in the park; just the ones that illegally disturb my recreation and kill their own clients.

There is plenty of good tahr hunting to be be had and you don't need to hunt from a helicopter there is always private land, perhaps ole sparrowhawk would like to share some more of his opinions. Who says that the only tahr these guys are allowed to hunt have to be on national parks from a helicopter flown by who ... you ?

posted Hide Post
WEATHERED JUST PUT YOUR MOUTH IN NEUTRAL AND YOUR BRAIN IN GEAR AND COMPREHEND WHAT I HAVE SAID TO KUDUDE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me see, name: sparrow hunter, coffin below name.

Yep, you show all the sign's of a biter

Happy hunting

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Just curious, Sparrow Hunter: what's your take on shoooting from an aircraft?

Thanks for any response.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
WEATHERED JUST PUT YOUR MOUTH IN NEUTRAL AND YOUR BRAIN IN GEAR AND COMPREHEND WHAT I HAVE SAID TO KUDUDE

quote:

What was it you said to Kudude apart from your sorry he paid for a hunt then got a hard time here ?
You wrote more about me than anything else in your post I invite you to share your opinions about hunting with helicopters. There is good tahr hunting to be had and it doesn't need a helicopter to hunt them down in national parks.

Are you advocating some kind of aerial shooting platform type service to old incapacitated hunters Maybe when Wheathered is your age he might be lucky enough to come across some mouth-piece like himself to piggy back him up the mountain if he is so offended by a helicopter in the park.

Give me a break Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Gee you catch on quick !!I'll give you a break when you stop your bagging of visitors to my country.

What was it you said to Kudude apart from your sorry he paid for a hunt then got a hard time here ?
You wrote more about me than anything else in your post .

Give me a break Roll Eyes

.[/QUOTE]