Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Must not have been very hungry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLUXWXrW9Qg

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
NOOOOOOO I would probably have a heart attack being that close to a great white. I have been among cape buff, elephants and poisonous snakes in Africa, but sharks terrify me. thumbdown

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
This happened just out from my home and we could see the boats at the time.
I was happy to be fishing from the shore that morning.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Being eaten by a great fish,really would be one of the worst ways to go Eeker

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
It sounds awful, but when one of those big boy bite, its usually instantaneous, often with half of the victims body swallowed in one.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
It is all kinda funny, accept that in great white areas they are there all the time; mostly you don't ever see them but they sense you.
Most of us who have had extensive exposure to sharks just get on with things I would still do what those guys did though sit quietly and wait.
I had the same problem on a surf rescue board paddling near a seal colony off Santa Caralina Island in the 80's a few weeks later a great white took two rafted sea kayakers off one of the LA beachs Long Beach I think it was.
I have been chased back to the diving bell by sharks pain in the arse things they are.

Posts: 250 | Location: Arrowtown | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Humans shouldnt get upset when one of them gets eaten by a shark - you are in their territory and they are doing what they do best.

No such thing as shark infested waters , its their home and we should all respect that.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Well said Muzza,i see no need to go in the sea,so i don't Wink

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
Being eaten by a great fish,really would be one of the worst ways to go Eeker

Probably a lot quicker than being killed and eaten by a Gizzly bear, which happened to a hunter, just a couple of miles from here. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Humans shouldnt get upset when one of them gets eaten by a shark -

Somehow, the realization that I was about to be eaten would still cause a bit of emotional upset. hilbily

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
There is nothing fast about a great white eating lunch, it is an ambush attack type predator that inflicts as much damage as possible in one quick pass then waits for the prey to weaken from blood loss before moving in again to finish at leisure. Great whites can also hunt in groups, the shark fin cams used in south africa show great whites in groups around seal colonies. Apparently they don't like risking getting knocked around too much by the larger mammals they eat. Another interesting fact is the vast majority of shark attack victims do not see the shark until it is on its final lunge or is actually biting them.
If the shark has shown itself to you then it has decided not to bite you and is probabaly just curious. Sharks are alive because they know what they should eat and like any alpha predator don't like taking chances if they don't have to. Great whites are possibly one shark that has learn't to look out of the water, it needs research but think about it, seeing above the water is an advantage if you like finding where seals are sitting on rocks

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weathered:
but think about it, seeing above the water is an advantage if you like finding where seals are sitting on rocks

Or a fisherman on a Kayak.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I guess sharks are lucky they live in the sea . If they were terrestrial dwellers they would be hunted to extinction by humans just because they were there and accessable .

I dont go into the sea - it tastes awful cos all those fish f*ck in it ...

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Humans shouldnt get upset when one of them gets eaten by a shark - you are in their territory and they are doing what they do best.

No such thing as shark infested waters , its their home and we should all respect that.

Perhaps we should extend the same courtesy to serial killers and paedophiles ? After all we are in their territory and they are only doing what they do best .
I'm sure the bloke that got eaten by a great white here last week wasn't upset at all . Nor I suppose was his son who had the privilege of watching the whole thing from a few feet away . Roll Eyes
Pretty easy to stay away from dangerous animals in NZ isn't it ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont go into the sea - it tastes awful cos all those fish f*ck in it ...

Hate to say this Muzz but its the salt that makes it taste like that. rotflmo
Read a thing in a fishing mag here a few years back, joker fishing from a kayak, puts out a burley trail only to be visited by a GW bigger than his kayak. Promptly shits himself in fear to add to the burley trail, Big Grin, GW nudges kayak but then swims away from memory, anyhow he didn't end up getting chomped. Probably silly enough to do it again the next week. Personally. I think you'd need to be potty to do such a thing.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Bushchook - hardly the same at all really . Sharks dont waddle ashore and eat people on the streets , but humans are happy to swim in the sharks backyard , and then get shitty when someone gets bitten.

Pedophiles , serial killers and other deviants are criminals in human society , sharks are not members of human society - see where this is heading ....

I would respectfully suggest that there is every bit as much chance of getting munched by a shark here as there is in Australia , as well as being dealt to by a stingray ( two in the last week ) or bitten by a poisonous spider - the most prevalent of which are aussie whitetailed freeloaders.

You could also add the numbers of folk who die in our mountains each year through stupidity or misadventure , or the folk who die at the beach having a swim , and so on , ad infintum.

My view remains - swim in a sharks back yard , become shark food .

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Bushchook - hardly the same at all really . Sharks dont waddle ashore and eat people on the streets , but humans are happy to swim in the sharks backyard , and then get shitty when someone gets bitten.

Pedophiles , serial killers and other deviants are criminals in human society , sharks are not members of human society - see where this is heading ....

I would respectfully suggest that there is every bit as much chance of getting munched by a shark here as there is in Australia , as well as being dealt to by a stingray ( two in the last week ) or bitten by a poisonous spider - the most prevalent of which are aussie whitetailed freeloaders.

You could also add the numbers of folk who die in our mountains each year through stupidity or misadventure , or the folk who die at the beach having a swim , and so on , ad infintum.

My view remains - swim in a sharks back yard , become shark food .

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
Fatal great white attack same day "I think" in West Aus didn't find any remains and was only in a couple of meteres of water, when they want you it's usualy the end

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
never sen a gw in the flesh, but had a 8 foot tiger swim by when I was snorkeling in Hawaii--- scared me to death! I have lots of respect for them and always hope the are not hungry!

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
I have had a large shark pass under my paddle board off Catalina Island, I have smashed another shark across the head with an underwater burning torch on a job salvage off Sumatra, Indonesia. I have jumped in on top of a Mako shark in China. I have been buzzed by a tiger in the Persian gulf. the only time I was really bothered was the sharks in the Timor Gap Australia the most agressive I have ever met they did chase me back to the diving bell and the other teams as well. I can probbaly think of more if I sit down and try to consider sharks during a commercial diving career over 24 years. The sharks ..... hell its their turf ..... normally they are no trouble but I would never bet my life on it.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have people here you know! Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Weathered
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:

We have people here you know! Big Grin

In the south Island we have things called M-o-u-n-t-a-i-n-s Big Grin more aussies killed falling off our m-o-u-n-t-a-i-n-s than sharks eat aussies in Australia.

You Aussies could not handle nasties as well as m-o-u-n-t-a-i-n-s over here.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
rotflmo That was funny!

Mind you, more Kiwi's fall off our m-o-u-n-t-a-i-n-s than Aussies! Roll Eyes

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote