Notify
Tools

Tipping for NZ guide/outfitters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Fujotupu

I don't know you but you seem to be similar to this guy!

http://time.com/4320428/bernie...ervice-donald-trump/

I guess if you see me with a broken leg in the bush, you will just carry on with your bigoted way!

Sarg, I do not know you & do not have a clue what you are about.

I doubt if any Kiwi would do what this guy did!

He sure did not get a tip that day!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
This has been a very enlightening thread , right from the start. I can only hope that people from countries other than NZ and Australia have grasped the concept of how we view tipping , and why we dont want to be a part of it .

However , the discussion has lost its way a bit and started to become a slagging match between individuals. Lets try and get back to sensible discussion and away from the fighting

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
hey muzz did you tip your Aussie guides when here?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I did mate - every day I said to him - "Todays tip is dont back racehorses" , or "dont shag fat girls" , or "dont wipe you bum on a stinging nettle".

I tried the tip thing on my first guided hunt and was told if I tried that again I would be taken out in the bush , tied to a tree and left there , so I figured that wasnt the thing to do ;-)

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
If you had of gone with the real manly guides they would have done all the tree tying stuff "with extras" Ah Lah Burt Renolds canoe trip

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
No banjos were harmed in the making of that movie , gryph - not a single extra digit to be seen - but I wasnt in Tasmania either

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Matt

I guess Donald Trump should get you to script his propaganda! Big Grin

Who has said here that they have contempt for the ENTIRE NZ Hunting Industry? Do you put your personal reputation on that comment? Really? Honestly?

The GUIDING industry in NZ is a very tiny, minuscule part of the ENTIRE NZ Hunting Industry.
Well 'Carlsen Highway' thinks disdain for (all) guides is well-earned and that safari hunting in NZ should be written like this - 'hunting' - he hasn't corrected me and I can read and interpret the English language fairly well. We can only assume he was referring to everyone in the industry.

Yes you got that right, you great big pretender. And you also know exactly why.

You can also assume whatever the fuck you want from way over there in Australia Matt.

Is there anything else you would like to tell me about hunting in New Zealand? From your vast experience of ...what exactly? Selling farmed deer to people?

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're a nasty piece of work. thumbdown And I don't sell farmed deer to anyone.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza and Gryph.... Classic guys. funniest comments Ive read in days!

Matt, is the water valley property high fenced?
I was under the impression it was? but am unsure.

oh and you are ignoring the question that don't suit you by the way.

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
shanks,I was gonna reply to old mates last post .."not that you are letting on Muzz"

But I didn't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
Muzza and Gryph.... Classic guys. funniest comments Ive read in days!

Matt, is the water valley property high fenced?
I was under the impression it was? but am unsure.

oh and you are ignoring the question that don't suit you by the way.
Of course it is high-fenced, 50,000 acre main paddock - but the deer we hunt are not transported nor captured, treated, supplemented or doctored in any way. Nothing at all like a 'deer farm' and of course we do PLENTY of proper free-range hunts elsewhere as well. 'Carlsen Highway' is talking crap of course. Nasty individual.

I can ignore whatever questions I please - I am not on trial here.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess its about semantics really. Id agree with Carlson that having a fenced enclosure puts it in the farmed category. I run an organic farm, Its a closed unit, we dont transport in stock supplement or treat animals with medicines... its still a farm because it makes money from animals.
Carlson is a nice guy who knows how to use language to get his point across. I would suggest you are being a little thin skinned After all who was it earlier who called us dicks and I dont see us calling yourself nasty.

yeah of course you have a right to silence... we also have a right to infer logical reasons from that silence... its not a court after all.

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Matt

Why don't you tell your clients

1. That you pay a full and fair wage and tipping is not expected
2. Australia and NZ have fair minimum wages and therefore we do not have a culture of tipping

?????

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
You're a nasty piece of work. thumbdown And I don't sell farmed deer to anyone.

Dry your eyes petal.
That'd be the shortest post you've made so far.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
C'mon boys - lets try and be civil , even if you dont really mean it .

The whole world is watching now .... hammering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess its about semantics really. Id agree with Carlson that having a fenced enclosure puts it in the farmed category. I run an organic farm, Its a closed unit, we dont transport in stock supplement or treat animals with medicines... its still a farm because it makes money from animals.
Carlson is a nice guy who knows how to use language to get his point across. I would suggest you are being a little thin skinned After all who was it earlier who called us dicks and I dont see us calling yourself nasty.

yeah of course you have a right to silence... we also have a right to infer logical reasons from that silence... its not a court after all.
I guess I was your huckleberry to vent your frustrations on. Where did I call you a dick? If so Im sure it was warranted - but I don't remember. I did however suggest that 'Carlsen Highway' was aggressively fondling himself.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As someone who has been told to go back to his homeland as well, despite been 5th generation to be born here, I really dislike the kind of comment from Fujo as well. Especially given he doesn't tell us where hes from.

"My culture is where I live and which community I am part of. So I am part of my Indian heritage. I am also part of my NZ environment that I have had the honour of enjoying for the last 24 years."

5th generation ??

It does not matter where one is born. The parents will bring you up according to their culture and whether that means eating with your hands or knife and fork matters not to me; it is a culture and I respect it.

When I walk into someone's house where it is culturally correct to remove one's shoes and sit on the floor and partake from a comunal platter using their hands certainly does not make me squeemish.

I will not however respect someone who plays double standards because it suits them, hence my comment to first go home and clean house then come back and preach.

A question: Why the fuck leave India in the first place? - I certainly wouldn't trade it for NZ. Big Grin

Don't like my comment? .... tough shit !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess if you see me with a broken leg in the bush, you will just carry on with your bigoted way!

Wrong again! - I would patch you up and get you to the nearest decent hospital much in the same manner I would for Fred Bloggs and I wouldn't ask to be tipped nor would I accept one. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Learn to read the posts and understand who is posting what.

You have quoted 2 people here but addressed me!

You chose to attack & insult me on a thread that I was posting on with no reference to you what so ever. And now you claim you would attend to me if I was hurt in the bush - just like that Tow truck driver I guess.

BTW I also have the rights to live in the US and chose to avoid you! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
As someone who has been told to go back to his homeland as well, despite been 5th generation to be born here, I really dislike the kind of comment from Fujo as well. Especially given he doesn't tell us where hes from.

"My culture is where I live and which community I am part of. So I am part of my Indian heritage. I am also part of my NZ environment that I have had the honour of enjoying for the last 24 years."

5th generation ??

It does not matter where one is born. The parents will bring you up according to their culture and whether that means eating with your hands or knife and fork matters not to me; it is a culture and I respect it.

When I walk into someone's house where it is culturally correct to remove one's shoes and sit on the floor and partake from a comunal platter using their hands certainly does not make me squeemish.

I will not however respect someone who plays double standards because it suits them, hence my comment to first go home and clean house then come back and preach.

A question: Why the fuck leave India in the first place? - I certainly wouldn't trade it for NZ. Big Grin

Don't like my comment? .... tough shit !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So think we can now sum this thread up.

1 Tipping is not accepted in NZ by the people at large and we don't want to see it because it undermines the minimum wage and encourages people to take their wages underground.

2 You will or should be paying a fair amount for your hunt that takes into account the things that tipping elsewhere is used for.

3 No NZ guides were willing to speak up on the practice, which tells us they are not open or comfortable with the practice.

4 Its quite clear that clients from countries that tip are seen as easy sources of extra money for nothing extra work wise. This creates an imbalance.

5 Matt thinks we are wankers for having a different opinion to him and for telling you this, and that we should keep our thoughts out of this grubby little business between him and his clients.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
One other key point Shanks

One person is not being transparent about his policy of full disclosure whether he pays a full & fair wage or not & that tips are not required.

Keeping silent and accepting tips if offered seems to be questionable to me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I think you are wankers for patting this guy on the head. ^^^^^^^^

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Visiting hunters can do as they please, tip, don't tip, guides in NZ/Aussie (the ones I know) do not ask for a tip & don't mention a tip, it is great to get one & fully appreciated when you do, some who have been guiding a long time may be taken back if one was not offered as it IS the norm & would be worried their hunter was unhappy with the hunt or he had done some thing wrong !

In the early days I tried to not accept or hand back tips, the offerer nearly always took offence to this & after a a lot of hunts it was accepted as part of the international guiding scene & I to offer tips when I'm on a guided hunt !

The OP was answered in the main by folks who aren't in the international guiding profession so mostly the answers to his question were from a average NZ hunter & I would agree we don't want it integrated into the NZ life style, but the fact is it is part of the international adventure guiding industry, not just hunting, fishing, mountain climbing & maybe rafting ?

I think guiding in NZ has a longer history of tipping than Australia potentially, as we had professional hunting & fishing guides since the turn of the century, the guys who guided Zane Grey & such, Jim & Reg Muir, Eric Gillespie, Conrad Hodgekinson & a host of others who guided the likes of Lord Belper & Eddie Herrick & many other wealthy clients, all these guys would have been tipped in some way .

I don't have any thing else to say on this .

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Gents how about we give it a rest. If you have anything to add to the post, then by all means post away. If you just want to shit stir/name call/piss each other off, then use the PM function.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote