Tools

Reindeerhunting in Norway
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Norwegianhunter
posted
Hello fellows hunters
I put some photos to show the reindeerhunt in the montains of Norway

Reindeerbull wight 190 lbs and the trophy scored 880,0 sci points Gold medal Shot with a Sauer 202 caliber 6,5x55 Mauser bullet 140 grs Rhino at 120 yards

I shot this bull 2 days later in a another area, to get high in the mountain at was a really struggel. I shot it at 190 yards with the same rifle and bullet. In this area it`s 5700 feet above sea level.

The same bull as above.

Taking care of the trophy and the meat

Realy tired after climbing down a very steepy hillside from 5700 feet to 1200 feet.
We got down at late night and we used 4 hours walking and climbing

My Jeep is loaded and home we go

This hunt is a walk and stalk hunt in a very high, and steepy hills the higest mountaintops is abobe 6300 feet.

I use a Sauer 202 in caliber 6,5x55 mauser, it`s very accurat and with a good trajectory.

I also have a extra barrel in calliber 3006 this one I use for red deer hunting.

Salesagent

Africa hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: Loeten the home of the aquavit, Norway | Registered: 12 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Norwegian Hunter

Thankyou for posting it looks very interesting.

Is there anyway you can make the pictures bigger?

Also what was the rifle and calibre used and are you able to give us some more details of the actual hunt itself etc?

Thanks

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find the right size of the photos. dancing

Salesagent

Africa hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: Loeten the home of the aquavit, Norway | Registered: 12 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Slightly smaller than North American Caribou, but identical otherwise. Wonderful sets of antlers. Congratulations on very good trophies!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for posting - nice to see such a successful and well earned result.

Where were you hunting - on the Hardangervidda?

Keep well.

Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent ! Enjoy the meat....I'm surprized to see a Norwegian call it the 6.5x55 MAUSER !How about the 6.5x55 Krag-Jorgensen ?? Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Thankyou for posting - nice to see such a successful and well earned result.

Where were you hunting - on the Hardangervidda?

Keep well.

Ian Smiler

They were shot in a place called Skjaak in the Ottadal of Gudbrandvalley, about 200 km north of Lillehammer

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Excellent ! Enjoy the meat....I'm surprized to see a Norwegian call it the 6.5x55 MAUSER !How about the 6.5x55 Krag-Jorgensen ?? Roll Eyes

Thank you, the meat is very good, we use it all, also the hide, we tan them and use dem on the floor of the tent.

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you for making me notice. The load that I use is to heavy for the 6,5x55 "Krag Jorgensen"
The Correct name of the caliber that I use is 6,5x55 Swedish Mauser, witch is built on the Mauser M96 in sweden.

For some years ago the load that worked fine in the Krag Jorgensen rifle was not allowed for big game hunting i Norway, When the goernment change the power of impact I think it was about 1990, the Krag Jorgensen load was allowed to use again. But not in the Krag Jorgensen rifle because of the construktion of the bolt.

Salesagent

Africa hunting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norwegianhunter, Mine is a 1943 M98, reheat treated but I would never call it a Swedish mauser ! Big Grin I made it up years back in gunsmith school and it has supplied me with many deer over the years .A very fine cartridge . wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Norwegianhunter, Mine is a 1943 M98, reheat treated but I would never call it a Swedish mauser ! Big Grin I made it up years back in gunsmith school and it has supplied me with many deer over the years .A very fine cartridge . wave

Yes it is avery fine caliber, and I suggest that we call it 6,5x55 and that`s it. wave

Salesagent

Africa hunting

one of us
posted Hide Post
great pictures norwegian.
One time I will find the time for come to Norge and kill a nice bull.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
great pictures norwegian.
One time I will find the time for come to Norge and kill a nice bull.

Yes you are welcome to Norge to hunt Norsk villrein
I have some contacts

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser was designed by and for the Swedish military.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
My understanding is that the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser was designed by and for the Swedish military.

Thats Correct, it was made for the Swedish military.
In Norway we had the 6,5x55 Krag Jorgensen Rifle, these rifles is still in use in several shooting organization, they perform very good accuracy, you can shoot very fast and accurat.

Salesagent

Africa hunting

one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are referring to the gun only then true.

If you are referring to the cartridge, then the correct answer is that it was designed by a joint Norwegian/Swedish commission during the period of the Swedish/Norwegian union (in 1891).

The Norwegians chose the Krag-Jörgensen as their service weapon while the Swedes chose the Mauser .

Nice trophy Norwegian !

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Especially with the stricking crimson antlers...

Which month of the year was this?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome onboard Hallgeir, good to see you around thumb

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:

These were shot late august

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
Welcome onboard Hallgeir, good to see you around thumb

Thank you Arild, I`v been reading the forum and all the other nice thing at Accuratreloading.
Now I enjoy the forum,

Salesagent

Africa hunting

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Oh My god more Aquavit!!!!

Wink

Welcome and congrats.

Rgds,
FB

BTW, Why are the antlers Red?

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBF:
quote:

If you are referring to the gun only then true.

If you are referring to the cartridge, then the correct answer is that it was designed by a joint Norwegian/Swedish commission during the period of the Swedish/Norwegian union (in 1891).

The Norwegians chose the Krag-Jörgensen as their service weapon while the Swedes chose the Mauser .

Nice trophy Norwegian !

GBF is right. At the time Sweden and Norway were in union. The union between Sweden and Norway lasted from 1814 to 1905. As the union was a personal union with a shared King but separate states, the military was not totally integrated. During the union however, a lot of the military ammunition were made to a "Union standard", this was also the case with the 6,5x55. The "Rifle commission" first designed the cartrigde - the 6,5x55 - then went ahead to find an agreement on rifles, but they did not manage to do this.

Internationally the cartrigde has wrongly been regarded by many ignorant shooters as a german mauser creation or a strictly swedish cartrigde. The latter mostly because of the large number of surplus swedish mausers being sold in the US, thus giving rise to the nickname "6,5x55 swede" (it is customary for US cartrigdes to have a name behind the caliber designation). Because of the strong influence from the US in Norway and Sweden, even some scandinavians have come to believe that the cartrigde actually is german or swedish.

The confusion regarding the 6,5x55 is further complicated by the fact that althoug there is only one blueprint for the cartrigde (made by the unions rifle commission), the factories in Norway and Sweden produced the cartrigde and rifles according to the opposite ends of the blueprint tolerances - Norway to the max and Sweden to the minimum. This made norwegian ammonition a little difficult to use in rapid fire from swedish mausers. During the end of the union, when Norway left, norwegian newspapers made up a story how clever the norwegians had been to make their ammo difficult to use in swedish rifles in case of a civil-war, but this was found out to be just a myth. I have personally used ammo made to (norwegian) max tolerances in a rifle with minimum (swedish) chamber, and it works plenty good enough, though in a fouled chamber it might cause a problem. Anyway, as long as chamber and ammo are made to the norwegian/swedish union specs there will be no problem.

Today, for match shooting, they are using the "Scan" chamber - in the middle of the blueprint.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Er du her og nå Hallgeir,blitt lei kranglinga på sluttstykke?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Oh My god more Aquavit!!!!

Wink

Welcome and congrats.

Rgds,
FB

BTW, Why are the antlers Red?

In this time of year the skin that covers the antler while it`s gove, is loosen and get ready for mating season, the red is blood that is under the skin on the antlers

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odd:
Er du her og nå Hallgeir,blitt lei kranglinga på sluttstykke?

Neida, men må utvide horisonten litt mere en bare sluttsykket.

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:

This was the 22nd august the mating season starts mid september, then the bull smell terrible,and the meat cant be eaten by humans, in one month

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, thanks for sharing them with us.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
nice hunt and nice antlers.... congratulations thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you here, Hallgeir!! beer

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you 460wby.
Accuratereloading is a very interessting place to be. Lots of good advices, and it`s seems to be a big good family.

I put some more reindeerhuntingpic:

Another big bull

The big good guys

Overwiew over some of the huntingarea were I hunt reindeer

Salesagent

Africa hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrat''s on your fine hunt! thats a BEAUTIFULL bull and very well earned trophy!
welcome to our forum and thanks for posting your great pictures and story thumb
regards from one hunter 2 another!!! Smiler

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjmp:
Congrat''s on your fine hunt! thats a BEAUTIFULL bull and very well earned trophy!
welcome to our forum and thanks for posting your great pictures and story thumb
regards from one hunter 2 another!!! Smiler

Thank you very much, there is more.....

Salesagent

Africa hunting

one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norwegianhunter:

Overwiew over some of the huntingarea were I hunt reindeer

This landscape could be almost anywhere in my Reindeer hunting area as well Smiler striking similarities!

Your name wouldnt stand out either for that matter Smiler

Regards,

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote