New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whut wuz it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lat night, under a bright half moon here in NE Ala on Lookout Mt, I heard a call completly new to me, and so loud it awakened me at 12:30. We live right on the edge of a crest with a 800-900 drop off to the valley below and our deck extends over this steep descent. We are surrounded by mature hardwoods and the area is very rural.
The call , being loud enough to be heard for miles, was mistaken by me at first to be that of an animal death scream and had that intensity. Sound wise it started loud and got louder: EE YOWLLLL!!!!EE YOWLLLL!!!EEYOWLLLL!! The call was repeated with the pattern of a braying donkey, over and over. I got up on hearing it start under the deck and scaned the area with a 2 M CP search light, but the follage is too dense, and the call/scream never slackened. This went on for 1 1/2 hours as the animal slowly moved up and down the slope , then toward the state park lands. It never really stopped, but just got faded by distance.
The call/scream was more feline than dog/yote, but was certainly not a feral cat.
Any ideas? I am rally old, but I have never heard such before.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Sasquatch on vacation?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
My neighbor does that when he's been out drinking and comes home about that time barefoot and walks through the sticker patch.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
My neighbor does that when he's been out drinking and comes home about that time barefoot and walks through the sticker patch.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I read the responses above, then re-read my post and I have to agree with the logic of your responses. After chuckling at my own expense, I thought I would again ask, "Whut wuz it?" Anyone ever hear something similar in the deep woods?

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Owls are known to make various weird calls which people never think an owl would make .Screech or great horned .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.alabamabigfoot.com/

Maybe not so lucky next time?? r. in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray in seattle- Now you have done it!!! Everytime I go outside at night from now on I will have to carry the "big gun"!

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Some sound clips:
Beaver
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/beaver.html

Fox (faroffcry and territroy call)
http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/thefoxden/sounds.html

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Owls are known to make various weird calls which people never think an owl would make .Screech or great horned .

I get them hootin' at each other around 2 AM in eastern North Carolina- kind of a call-and-answer over a distance of a half mile, maybe.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you hear anything resembling sounds like these recorded in the Pac. NW?

http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/sounds.php

r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
many different bobcat sounds here:
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Bobcat_sounds_audio.aspx

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I have heard that sounds like that is a Mt. Lion, Couger, Puma, Catamount; or whatever you call them geographicly, all the same animal and it makes that sound. I always thought it sounded like a woman screaming...You can hear this on rare ocassions and mostly during the breeding season, and this is spring!

Go look around, if it was there it will leave some sign..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I bet you have realized the effects of spring and the sound of "passion unfulfilled" for a male peacock.

Just a WAG of course.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
peacock sounds:
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Peacock_Sounds.aspx

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
All one needs is one exposure to a lovestruck male peacock and the will realize the posted sound track is NO WHERE close to that of a male in search of spring lust fulfilled.

IT is not that short of a call and under the wrong conditions . . . goes on 24 hours a day, trust me I can tell you from experience.

They will travel a long ways in search of such fulfillment by the way

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray. I sat in a stand one day and watched a female bobcat in heat running back and forth making a sound just like you describe. Loud and forever.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote