New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody pick and eat wild mushrooms???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YEAH MAN!!!!!

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I do, the ones that grow on willow trees, I think the real name for them is bracillian (sp)but we call them champignons de zwit or oyster mushrooms. All kinds of ways to fix them, fried, sauteed in butter, thrown in a stew, etc.
They kind of taste like fried oysters, when fried, so hence the name.

Best time to look for them is after a light rain or a heavy fog.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Some that are good to eat and easy to identify are morels, puffballs, most Boletes, and Inky caps.
If you can't identify it, don't eat it. One death angel will rot your liver out. I would not eat any that had white spore print. Black spored gilled mushrooms are usually safe to eat, although a few can produce hallucinations, especially if they bruise greenish/blue.

http://americanmushrooms.com/id.htm

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not in the last 30 years or so.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have picked and then dried Black Morels in Idaho.

I still have a few pieces of them left.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
One memory when I was a kid was going rabbit shooting with my late father on farmland and coming across a massive number of field mushrooms. Shot a few bunnies and boy did we bring home some mushrooms that day!

hmmm freshly killed rabbit and mushroom pie, now thats a tasty meal.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love to.....but here in Florida where soil is sand, wild mushrooms hard to find. I have found oyster shrooms on old trees, and chanterelles down the block, and Armelaria (honey shrooms) on a friend's lawn. But, it ain't like Upper Michigan, where picking was beyond awesome. Never have I encountered shrooms like I found (variety and numbers) in northern Michigan!!
But then, as good as mushroom hunting...was also fishing, berry picking, hunting, gorgeous country, and fine folks

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
We get morels here, problem is I find them easier to eat than to hunt up in the woods!

The main thing to remember about mushrooms is that all wild mushrooms are edible.

Some however can only be eaten once.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I'll be fishin for crappie and hunting morels in the morning. It's a spring thing here in missouri.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Midwest joke --

How are the Cardinals and mushroom hunting alike?

(They're all over in spring, but you cain't find 'em in August!)

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
I'll be fishin for crappie and hunting morels in the morning. It's a spring thing here in missouri.

I'll be killing turkey and hunting morels in the morning. It's a spring thing here in missouri

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:

I'll be killing turkey and hunting morels in the morning. It's a spring thing here in missouri

tu2

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Picked 10 gray mushrooms in my backyard last night. Bread em in flour and fry em in oil or butter.....OMG YUMMY!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote