WALTER'S OWN

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Walter's Own General Discussions    What's your take on smoking? How do you feel about those who do?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your take on smoking? How do you feel about those who do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
When I quit smoking in February 2009, I was up to three packs a day.
The $11,000 a year I was spending on smoking now pays for two or three trips to the US annually & plenty of "toys" too.
My lungs are in pretty bad shape but at least I'm still breathing, which probably wouldn't be the case had I not quit.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
But yet a person with a tattoo has made a poor life decision?

3 packs a day? 11K a year?

Glad you stopped.....good health to you from here on.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
But yet a person with a tattoo has made a poor life decision?

3 packs a day? 11K a year?

Glad you stopped.....good health to you from here on.

I never said I wasn't a dumbass for smoking - which I was. Wink

Funny thing: I breathe easier at 7,000' in northern NM than I do down here at sea level.

Weird.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:

Funny thing: I breathe easier at 7,000' in northern NM than I do down here at sea level.

Weird.

I've noticed the same thing between a lot of the lower altitude locations here in the 'States and the higher elevations in the Rockies...

I don't know, but I suspect it has a lot to do with the lower pollen counts, the lesser amounts of smog, maybe less dust, and the lower humidity up in the high country.

I know I find the air around New Orleans, Phoenix, Atlanta, Seattle, and lots of other low altitude locations to be downright oppressive to me. Oddly enough, when I get 10 miles or so out to sea it seems to improve, so it can't be just the humidity.

Maybe ( rotflmo lol) it is just the civilization content that clogs me up. tu2

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking cigarettes 2 years ago after a 50 year love/hate affair.I have "quit" in the past but always wanted another,still do upon occasion.But I don't because I think first + don't do an involuntary act due to habit.My worst is when ever I roll out a set of blueprints in the job shack the first thing I do is hit my pocket for a smoke.That being said,I have found out over the years that "reformed anybodies" are the worst hypocrites + thus I will not become one.As an addendum I will say that I am appalled that the Government is paying credence (as well as $$$)for the stupid [legal] complaints that since the D.I. said '"smoke 'em if you got 'em" while on break from P.T. now it's Uncle sugars fault.(Read WE have to pay!)B.S.,we knew what we were doing when we lit up..kinda;we were young + it was a great stress relief,besides we never thought it was going to last forever.Sorry,got off on a tangent.I would prefer that the folks at the next table not blow their smoke on me.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandmother dipped snuff, I'll give you the most chilling thing one human being can say to another:

"Boy, bring me my spitcup."

Eeker

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tin can,that dates us both...I'll bet you even money that her brand was Garrett Snuff.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Tin can,that dates us both...I'll bet you even money that her brand was Garrett Snuff.

You know, I for the life of me can't remember- I'll ask my cousin the next time I'm down south.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I haven't even read all 5 pages yet. My grandpa died of lung cancer. Smoking was blamed. Doctors at the time said he had the worst looking lungs they had seen.
My grandma died less than a year ago at age 83. She had emphysema. Was on oxygen for the last several years. Would take a breathing treatment then go in the kitchen and smoke. She would get almost panicky if she got down to just a few cigarettes (Super Addicted) smoked since she was a teenager. Loved her very much but dreaded just sitting at kitchen table with her because the smoke would choke you to death. and then when you leave there you smelled like a Marlboro factory for the day. She always wanted to go out west. She never made the trip. Im sure what she spent on cigarettes since she was a teenager could have bought a nice house in our little town, and several trips out west.

My dad and stepmom both smoke like freight trains and have for years. Dad just smokes one after another. Same deal as with mema. Dad has several health problems from it. I would bet money he will never quit although I wish he would. Talking to him about it is like talking to a wall. Hate to see it but im sure he will end up like Mema. He is one of those sloppy smokers too that gets his ashes everywhere, just plain messy. Annoying when you are in a vehicle especially when its cold and rolls the pneumonia hole down to smoke. Sitting at the table with them is like being in the gas chamber. Then at night from where they smoke all day it burns your eyes. Would love to have the money they spend between the two of them on smoking.

My girlfriend and her sister smoke although their dad died of lung cancer and I think they have had other family members die from smoking. If I were starting out dating her again I possibly wouldn't just because of the simple fact of her being a smoker. She is another one of those that when its cold outside she wants to roll the car window down to smoke a stupid cigarette. Thats very annoying. At least she is one that won't smoke inside a house.

My mom doesn't smoke. My stepdad said he smoked for it was either 15 or 20 years and said he just quit one day. He decided it was just stupid. They also won't allow anyone to smoke in their house.

I could not even begin to start naming people I have known that have died from smoking

My worst habit is coca cola and if I continue to drink them the way I do I would probably be as well off to just be drinking Antifreeze.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,as we all know it is addictive. I remember The statement of Phillip Morris exs. "I love this business, costs a penny to make, sells for a dollar,is legal + addictive".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:

My worst habit is coca cola and if I continue to drink them the way I do I would probably be as well off to just be drinking Antifreeze.

My brother would have been 69 this year, a steady diet of Camels, Coca-Cola (by the pint) and cheeseburgers dropped him at a month shy of 50 with an aortal aneurism- almost got me four years ago too, then, finally, even after a heart attack 15 years ago, I cleaned up my act.

Now I'm fatSmiler

The autopsy stated he had the veins of an 80 year old man.

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Recently lost both my parents due to smoking related illness. COPD. Emphysema. Helluva thing when you can draw in a breath of air but just can't exhale. Oxygen tubes in your nose. Nebulizer treatments hourly. If you smoke and have children you don't want to put them through this. Quit.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote