WALTER'S OWN

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Walter's Own General Discussions    What's your take on smoking? How do you feel about those who do?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your take on smoking? How do you feel about those who do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyVet:
Lol!! Or worse.... Jools might start a "share your weight" thread.

I'd rather not.... if that's OK with you.

No one wants to get on the wrong side of a pre menopausal woman with a large hand bag, (all women with guns have large hand bags), and martial art skills. Least of all me.

I can hear the cry now. Run, run for the hills...... shocker

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I ain't Twiggy, that's for sure. I'm the perfect weight for me.

Was that you in the Grand Canyon picture awhile back?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

How about a smoker? How do you feel about a person who smokes?

I smoked through about fifteen years, gave it up while we were living in Utah, when I got weary of getting bronchitis every December. The Mormons I worked with never gave me a bad time about it, and were supportive when I decided to stop doing it. Thanks, guys...

Now I avoid tobacco smoke, it aggravates my sinuses. There are still times in a light rain that I want to reach in my pocket for a Camel, but I wouldn't want to have to quit again.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hope this doesn't turn into a share a pic thread

]

Not a snowball's chance............

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
quote:

Hope this doesn't turn into a share a pic thread

]

Not a snowball's chance............

Best

GWB

what kinda dog is that?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is that little animal, a squirrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a buddy that ran away from home in 1943 to join the service.Went into artillery + also smoked 2 packs a day of menthol.Went in the doc the other day about hearing aids + the doc looked at his file + said you don't need hearing aids;you're dead!Point is, it's a roulette wheel.EVERYBODY quits smoking sometime.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Got a buddy that ran away from home in 1943 to join the service.Went into artillery + also smoked 2 packs a day of menthol.Went in the doc the other day about hearing aids + the doc looked at his file + said you don't need hearing aids;you're dead!Point is, it's a roulette wheel.EVERYBODY quits smoking sometime.

That last sentance sums it up. No need to add anything to that.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a good cigar (read hand rolled, tobacco only). I found a dozen good Cuban cigars in my gun case when I got home from Africa and was putting things up. Imagine that!

I won't be sixty-three until September, but my doctor gave me a clean bill of health two months ago at my annual.

There's a story about a farmer and his barnyard livestock. The farmer was having a tough time making ends meet. The livestock got together one evening and discussed how they could help.

The horse suggested they have a benefit breakfast to raise money. The chickens volunteered to donate a dozen eggs. Then, everybody looked at the pig. After a few minutes of silence, the horse said "Well...?".

The pig replied, "I need to think this over. The rest of you are talking a small donation. What you're asking me for is a total commitment.".

The difference between my Cigars and a Tattoo: I can give up the Cigars, and in a week nobody will be able to tell I ever used them. A small sacrifice.

The Tattoo is a total (read: permanent) commitment.

Rich

I think I will wander out onto the patio and light a good Cohiba up and match it with some good Corralejo (Blue Bottle).

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
isn't it amazing how many instances to which the story of "ham and eggs" is applicable.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a dozen or so stogies each year - mostly in the spring or fall. I smoked an $18 one Sunday, even my Wife commented on how good it smelled.

But nicotine never calls to me and I don't inhale. The air has to be still out on the porch so that I can get a bit of my own 2nd hand or there's no point in lighting up.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I enjoy a good cigar (read hand rolled, tobacco only). I found a dozen good Cuban cigars in my gun case when I got home from Africa and was putting things up. Imagine that!

I won't be sixty-three until September, but my doctor gave me a clean bill of health two months ago at my annual.

There's a story about a farmer and his barnyard livestock. The farmer was having a tough time making ends meet. The livestock got together one evening and discussed how they could help.

The horse suggested they have a benefit breakfast to raise money. The chickens volunteered to donate a dozen eggs. Then, everybody looked at the pig. After a few minutes of silence, the horse said "Well...?".

The pig replied, "I need to think this over. The rest of you are talking a small donation. What you're asking me for is a total commitment.".

The difference between my Cigars and a Tattoo: I can give up the Cigars, and in a week nobody will be able to tell I ever used them. A small sacrifice.

Rich

I think I will wander out onto the patio and light a good Cohiba up and match it with some good Corralejo (Blue Bottle).

Drinker and a smoker....hmmm

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I am not nor have ever been a smoker. My father smoked cigars while I was growing up and I hated them.

At 66 years of age now, I have lived in a smoke free home for roughly 46 years now.

Today I was at an outdoor meeting and a few people were smoking. Even with a nice breeze blowing I was amazed at how strong and bad they smelled

If they want to smoke fine, they just should go off by themselves and stay away from non smokers.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Rich

Drinker and a smoker....hmmm

man you really got wounded with the "circus freak" comments, didn't ya??

popcorn

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
No not at all Rich and I are old friends and go way back.....go cards

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted and I allow the occasional "hammering" of the other one. I had a Partagas Serie D No. 4 about three hours ago, sitting on the front porch with a Coke Zero. Takes a good cigar for that.

you have to be good friends to do that...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I'm glad the birds won today.....I told you it's a long season

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

Yeah. That's me.
The Grand Canyon was awesome. I want to go back and visit a different area next time.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

Yeah. That's me.
The Grand Canyon was awesome. I want to go back and visit a different area next time.

I particularly like the North Rim; there's an old railroad lodge perched on the rim of the canyon that's one of my favorite places to eat breakfast. It's about a thousand feet higher elevation than the South Rim, which is sort of interesting.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never smoked even one cigarrette.

My father and mother were smokers, it contributed to my fathers death, and killed my mother.

IMHO, smoking is one of the most dangerous, most life shortening things a person can do.

In Germany in the 1930's they knew smoking caused cancer and thus early death.

Hitler banned smoking by pregnant women. If caught the second time they would be locked up, till after the child was born.

Contrast that to America where Cigarretes, were included in every meal issued to US troops.

That is how powerful the cigarrette lobby was even in WWII.

The only thing more dangerous than smoking, is playing Russian roulette with a loaded single shot handgun, or jumping out of an airplane at 19.5K with out a parachute.

Just IMHO of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I don't know about what is more dangerous, Rush Hour in Ft.Worth-Dallas-Houston-San Antonio and Austin should rank right up there some where.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
let's not forget that a great deal of America's original wealth and worth as a new world and a colony was based on tobacco and it's export. At the time, tobacco was thought to have medicinal values.
Maybe the indians are getting even with us now. Smiler However, most of the indians I know smoke.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

IMHO, smoking is one of the most dangerous, most life shortening things a person can do.

Gotta agree......a smoker is killing themselves and those around them

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
Just curious, how many of those here that don't smoke, adamantly oppose it (in any form)and/or profess to be against smoking cheerfully tithe regularly at their local American Cancer Society branch, financially support other efforts aligned with the 'No-Smoking' message promoted by the many, many 'pop-up' non-profits and have standing instructions with their investment firms not to buy any stocks or investment instruments issued by any company, group or vendors that produce tobacco, supplies materials for, markets, advises, invests or is otherwise associated, directly or indirectly, with tobacco (in any form)?

Or, it that for other people's money?

Whatever is that old expression? Just escapes me at the moment. coffee

I don't smoke. And I'd prefer not to be around smoke. But, my mom smokes. As do my brother and sister. My dad stopped after his laryngectomy. But, he kept the Skoal. I can't really get away from it. I don't stand opposed to it on a soapbox, but it is my preference.
I participate in three county's relay for life fundraisers. And I've done so for the last several years. My son was our county's relay honoree in 2008. That was the year we found out his cancer metastasized. He's also a St. Judes child, so they get quite a bit of my money, too.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean but…

I am heavily involved with the largest FREE pediatric hospital in the United States 22 of them....one near you

But I couldn’t care less if you smoke or not….it’s your choice and I’m glade you can make it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I've gotten older (and poorer) I've reduced the scope of my giving. All of my charity dollars now go to St Jude. I lived in Memphis for 22 years and I know first hand the calibre of their work.
A point of pride to them is they will match their ratio of dollars given to dollars spent on care and reseach against anyone.
If one looks closely at some of the "charity" organizations, after the high dollar salaries and golden parachutes, and other bennies, the money that trickles down to the ones needing care and comfort is pennies on the dollar.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will not give through organizations. I want 100% of my investment to go directly to the person in need. I won't go into details, will say since I did not serve in the military, I have taken it upon myself to support disabled veterans. Over the last 17 years I have supported 1 Korean war veterean, 2 Viet Nam Veterans and currently am helping a guy that was blown up in Grenada in '83. And by all that is holy, I have no problem buying smokes for them when they want them.

Best

GWB

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
As I've gotten older (and poorer) I've reduced the scope of my giving. All of my charity dollars now go to St Jude. I lived in Memphis for 22 years and I know first hand the calibre of their work.
A point of pride to them is they will match their ratio of dollars given to dollars spent on care and reseach against anyone.
If one looks closely at some of the "charity" organizations, after the high dollar salaries and golden parachutes, and other bennies, the money that trickles down to the ones needing care and comfort is pennies on the dollar.

This is why I heavily support the only 100% free pediatric hospital chain in the USA...22 of them

One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I smoke Kools, I have a tattoo on my right bicep and I am registered as a Democrat. Shall I be banished from this site?

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted68,

in a word, YES!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, he lives in Kalifornia too. Perhaps banished from the human race. Is the tatoo a picture of Pelosi?

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not knocking St. Jude's, indeed, I have given them thousands of dollars in the last few years, but, in fact, their fund raising costs are fairly high, about 17% of income. This compares very unfavorably with some other charities. The Salvation Army, for instance, has a fund raising cost of about 1 percent. Ronald McDonalds runs about 8%. Save the Children about 7%.

Any one with a smidgeon of knowledge about St. Jude's should know their fundraising costs are fairly high. I can't count the dozens and dozens of mailings they've sent me since I became a larger donor, almost all of them have an envelope with a stamp on it inside. Ridiculous. But they do a helluva job for sick kids and that's enough for me. They will continue to receive my support along with Delta Waterfowl, Doctors without Borders, and a few others.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

I'm not knocking St. Jude's, indeed, I have given them thousands of dollars in the last few years, but, in fact, their fund raising costs are fairly high, about 17% of income. This compares very unfavorably with some other charities. The Salvation Army, for instance, has a fund raising cost of about 1 percent. Ronald McDonalds runs about 8%. Save the Children about 7%.

Any one with a smidgeon of knowledge about St. Jude's should know their fundraising costs are fairly high. I can't count the dozens and dozens of mailings they've sent me since I became a larger donor, almost all of them have an envelope with a stamp on it inside. Ridiculous. But they do a helluva job for sick kids and that's enough for me. They will continue to receive my support along with Delta Waterfowl, Doctors without Borders, and a few others.

Good line up of charities above, I trust them all. The Salvation Army world headquarters is in my neighborhood, many is the time around a holiday I've just given a check to the "building guy" and they always get delivered and I always get a quick thank you note from the head man.

The Red Cross abrades me to a degree.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
The Salvation Army world headquarters is in my neighborhood, many is the time around a holiday I've just given a check to the "building guy" and they always get delivered and I always get a quick thank you note from the head man.

The Red Cross abrades me to a degree.

Agreed! When I was in a military hospital on the wait list for an air-evac home after being disabled, the Red Cross would come around when we were allowed off the wards to vist the USO and offer to sell us GI's a cup of coffee. Most of us didn't have wallets or money in our "patients" clothing. But the Red Cross was adamant. No money to pay them, no coffee.

The Sally Anns were exactly the opposite..."Hi soldier! Want a cup of coffee and a couple of donuts?" No money asked for or even accepted if offered.

I've never forgotten that difference. When we moved to here in AZ two years ago, I gave the Sally Anns in our old town in OR a whole houseful of good (no particle board) furniture, about 50 $1,000 suits, three fridges, three computers and printers, 4 televisions, and a raft of sporting goods, boxes of good books, and so on...two BIG moving vans full, to be exact.

I won't give the RC the time of day. They may have changed, but I'm not going close enough to them to find out.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mother used to tell the story of how overseas in WW2 the Red Cross charged for snacks but the Salvation Army
had them for free- thanks for the confirmation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The country we all live in allows us freedom of choice in many things, and I thank those that served and sacrificed, some their very lives, so we can make those choices.

Now, having said that, I sincerely wish all those that choose to smoke could see what cigarettes did to my uncle. He has emphysema and glaucoma because of the Winstons he smoked for over 40 years. Yes, it was his choice, but...

And I got a call from the son of a man I ran with for over 20 years before circumstances caused that to come to a halt. Don is 63, and his son told me he is down to 30% of his heart capacity. He has stints in his legs and his chest, and needs more, but that can't happen until after the testing and cataract surgery is done. He has lost several teeth, and is in just pretty bad shape, well prior to when this should have come on... Funny thing is (and I don't mean funny ha-ha...), last time I talked to Don he told me he had quit smoking. Sadly, I fear it is too late. I tried to get him off the darned things 30 years ago, to no avail.

I am just very thankful they never got their hooks in me.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
My mother used to tell the story of how overseas in WW2 the Red Cross charged for snacks but the Salvation Army
had them for free- thanks for the confirmation.

My father would happily confirm that. He has no time for most charities, but has always supported the Sally Army.

He told me how after having lost his second tank and crew he was sitting outside a dressing station. Having lost his boots, with his uniform in tatters, and his wounds bandaged. A lady from the Sally Army came up laid a hand on his shoulder, shoved a cup of tea in his hand and left him a bacon sandwich wrapped in a paper bag. She never said a word, just smiled and walked on.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather smoked a pack of Camel "studs" a day from age eleven on. Before he got a job and the nickel a pack they cost, he chewed. They raised tobacco on his parents place. He died of Emphysema just after his ninety-third birthday.

Jim Fixx was a physically fit marathon runner. Never smoked or drank a day in his life. He had a heart attack and died at age fifty-three.

I think the crap American tobacco companies put in the cigarettes and machine roll cigars is the killer.

I was in Arizona in the army in summer of 1968 for some specialized training. We went to the AZ state fair and saw Jim Morrison and the Doors play. He stood at the mike and did "Riders on the Storm", the seventeen minute version. When the applause died down, he said "we got one thing in common. Nobody gets off this earth alive."

I think he's right...

Do what pleases you, have a regard for others, and try to cut back on the illegal, immoral, and fattening.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted68:
Hmm, I smoke Kools, I have a tattoo on my right bicep and I am registered as a Democrat. Shall I be banished from this site?

Not hardly. Your sins are minor...go forth, and sin no more.

TomP