New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Life Well Lived...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! What a ride!"

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb thumb

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda hoping I'll get shot by an outraged father. shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HB, The best saying I've heard in a long time DITTO

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a funeral that must be held at a football field to accommodate the mourners, none of whom you owe money; and sons and sons-in-laws to carry the casket.
And have hunted in Africa.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! What a ride!"

Guess that does not say too much about my strict diet, 12 hours of weightlifting and 12 hours of aerobics done 6 days a week, very limited to no alcohol and no smoking. However, I am quite hopeful that I arrive at the grave many years beyond the date that I would arrive if living the lifestyle you suggest. Big Grin

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye, When do you sleep?

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life is also not a race, the first one done is not the winner!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess that does not say too much about my strict diet, 12 hours of weightlifting and 12 hours of aerobics done 6 days a week, very limited to no alcohol and no smoking. However, I am quite hopeful that I arrive at the grave many years beyond the date that I would arrive if living the lifestyle you suggest. Big Grin

I hate to lay this on ya, but medical research suggests that weight training and aerobics adds not a single day to life expectancy.

That said, no alcohol, no smoking, staying fit, and a good diet add days.

That said: "Plenty of time to be skinny when I'm dead."

beer

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Guess that does not say too much about my strict diet, 12 hours of weightlifting and 12 hours of aerobics done 6 days a week, very limited to no alcohol and no smoking. However, I am quite hopeful that I arrive at the grave many years beyond the date that I would arrive if living the lifestyle you suggest. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Hi BES, What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you want to die healthy? Big Grin Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, when I hit 35 I figured life was about 1/2 over--- the good half. Then I decided that I needed to train hard and be healthy if I wanted to be able to enjoy the second 1/2 I had left. So, now I'm 51 and have been hard at it for 16 years now. I can run 10K races, do 100 mile bicycle races and bench press over 500 pounds. I do only sleep about 6 hours a night, but that seems to be all I need.
You all are probably correct though--- I'll probably keel over fit and healthy at the same age I would have anyway. Roll Eyes I just hope I can keep my quality of life at the current level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...one thing I have found, there's just two ways to go, it all comes down to living fast or dying slow....
Robert Earl Keen

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye,

if you stick to that post-35 regimen you won't actually live any longer. It will just seem that way...

I am sixty and have buried several of my "fitness nut" friends who died of a stroke or heart attack.
Besides all of that, the most boring people at a nursing home are the ones who wasted a life by "taking care" of themselves. Reciting that regimen you are on is even more boring to others in your old age than it is now.

Fast cars (currently an XK-8 convertible) a Harley, good cigars and booze, and hunting and eating red meat.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No steak?

No single malt?

All that time in a gym, that could be spent hunting, or chasing women, or tramping through the bush?

Damn.

A guy might live longer, but who'd want to?

Posts: 5743 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A young hunting buddy of my nephews is a lifter. He's 28 and says his dick don't get hard for about eighteen hours after he lifts. Something about too much blood diffusion in the tissue. Same thing for those little bicycle seats causing nerve damage. Is that working for you either?

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I honestly could not tell you. I quit dating the turn of the century. I got to the point where the ladies I thought were attractive and interesting did not want anything to do with me and the ladies that were interested in me, I did not want anything to do with. I generally, work, exercise and enjoy my hobbies (hunting and shooting). It's a pretty simple boring life, but comfortable to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original post came to me in an email from my brother. I have no idea of its origin prior to that but it's a good saying, huh? Imagine living a life so full of adventures that your mourners can't help but be proud to have known you and are happy that you get to experience the Greatest Adventure of all...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently was at my local barbershop and all the barbers were laughing. They were talking about the local assisted living facility that would deliver the elderly gentlemen for their haircuts. One old man of 92 years of age would get his haircut and then go outside to smoke a cigarette while waiting for the bus to come pick him up! I don't smoke or drink and seriously doubt I will see 92 years of age but you have to laugh at the absurdity of what everybody worries about. When I growing up my family went to an old doctor who filled his own presciptions after he gave a diagnosis. He had a sign many of you have seen, "Don't take life too seriously, you're not going to get out of it alive anyway".

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Guys, when I hit 35 I figured life was about 1/2 over--- the good half. Then I decided that I needed to train hard and be healthy if I wanted to be able to enjoy the second 1/2 I had left. So, now I'm 51 and have been hard at it for 16 years now. I can run 10K races, do 100 mile bicycle races and bench press over 500 pounds. I do only sleep about 6 hours a night, but that seems to be all I need.
You all are probably correct though--- I'll probably keel over fit and healthy at the same age I would have anyway. Roll Eyes I just hope I can keep my quality of life at the current level.

You can bench 500 lbs!! All at once? Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

Wander by a gym sometime. Once upon a time (20 years ago) I would do 10 reps of 450 twice in a 35 to 40 min. workout along with the other weight stations.. Others did more...

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I went on a diet once, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks! Big Grin

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
Wander by a gym sometime. Once upon a time (20 years ago) I would do 10 reps of 450 twice in a 35 to 40 min. workout along with the other weight stations.. Others did more...

10 reps of 450???? Twice?????

Either you're a freakin' animal or I'm calling BS on that one.....and the claim of "I bench over 500 lbs." I've been in a lot of gyms and only a handful of guys benched 450 and up EVEN ONCE!.......maybe you 2 are part of that select group. coffee

Edit: I guess you're the new American bench press record holder then?

WINFIELD - Last April, Noble "Cozy" Cozine was excited because he had recently set an American benchpress record, 462 pounds, for a competitor over 50 years old.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news...dept_id=567520&rfi=6

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see ANY quality in the life you are living.

Let me see, without bragging: I been married twice, fathered seven boys and one girl, spent three tours of duty in Vietnam in an Army Ranger company, made 193 parachute jumps, raced (with very little distinction) AMA Superbikes one year, including at Indy on the big track, ran with the bulls at Pamplona, owned two Jaguars, an XKE coupe in the day, and now an XK-8 convertible, a 440-6pak Roadrunner coupe, my house is paid for, and I been to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo and going back in 51 days for plains game with a .470 NE Searcy and a CZ 300 H&H. My brother and cousin and I ride our HD baggers up north thru Idaho twice a year to Canada and play pool, drink good single malt scotch, and smoke those lovely Cohiba Cuban cigars. All the while, ogling the four red-headed big (organic) busted barmaids at the hotel.

How am I stacking up...?

A lot of you guys got me covered three different ways to sundown.

Given a choice, I pick me if it's a choice of one of us. Nothing personal...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My dad is 80 as of February 17. He was doing 5,000 cycles per day on one of those cardio-glide bicycle things until it just got too easy. He had it screwed up to its tightest setting and was using the footrests closest to the hinge to make it harder, but it wasn't providing enough resistance. So now he does 120 side-straddle hops in sets of 60, 100 "floor curls" or "floor crunches," which is basically a sit-up done on your side without hands behind head. He does both left and right sides. He also does 100 sit-ups without hands behind head. Then he does 125 push-ups. The he does 30 lifts of a 20kg weight in either arm from a sitting position, with the weight on the ground all the way up to his chin. My pop is 80 flunkin' years old-- tomorrow. I will not live to see that age. I may not live another year or two. I'm 52 and so out of shape I can barely climb the 17 risers to my apartment. Know what? I don't give a damn. I have not risen to any level of success in my life, and living my life is a fuggin' drag. Kicking off at 53 or 54 would be a blessing...

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
One needs to be in reasonable health and in reasonable physical conditioning to get the most enjoyment out of hunting, sex, and work--and life in general. That said, some people born with physical disabilities have lived Lives of Greatness. Those of us who talk about Lives-well-lived are generally talking about lives lived in freedom, while well fed and entertained. Under different and adverse conditions, we might think of other, totally different, things.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Best benchpress was 604 pounds in the 2005 Schwartzeneger Classic powerlifting contest--- finished 7th in my weight class.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everybody should believe in something, and I believe I'll have another drink . . .

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:

Either you're a freakin' animal or I'm calling BS on that one.....and the claim of "I bench over 500 lbs." I've been in a lot of gyms and only a handful of guys benched 450 and up EVEN ONCE!.......maybe you 2 are part of that select group. coffee

Edit: I guess you're the new American bench press record holder then?

WINFIELD - Last April, Noble "Cozy" Cozine was excited because he had recently set an American benchpress record, 462 pounds, for a competitor over 50 years old.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news...dept_id=567520&rfi=6

I don't have any idea what the records are. It was a Marcy universal weight machine with 7 or eight stations. A couple of us were using the full stack plus some add on weights. I dug out the ledger. Last entry 7/28/90. If you don't believe 450 I won't tell you what is actually written down.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Best benchpress was 604 pounds in the 2005 Schwartzeneger Classic powerlifting contest--- finished 7th in my weight class.

Impressive. What class did you compete in? Masters - 242?

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, no alcohol

Uh....a whole lot of REALLY old people in southern Europe will disagree with that statement. Lots of walking, minimal red meat, lots of fish, a ton of olive oil, and two or three drinks a day starting at about age 10 seems to be the formula for longevity. Combine that with calming the F)*K down and not taking life so seriously, and 80+ years old is basically assured while 100+ is probably two or three times as likely relative to the remainder of the planet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, at the time I was not in the masters class and started in 242 in the late 90's but ended in 305. The pro-bodybuilders kicked my ass!