THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Chop test Cold Steel VS. Busse PICTURES

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chop test Cold Steel VS. Busse PICTURES
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I decided to make a chop off test between the Cold Steel Trail Master (TM) and the Busse Heavy Ordinance Fusion Steel Hart limited edition (HOFSH LE)
I also through in the Cold Steel Kukri as a wild card to see how this true chopping machine would do among ordinary knives.

The knife specs are:

Cold Steel TM old satin version 9.5" blade made from 5/16" carbon V, the knife is a factory second. (The grind is not perfect on the left side)

Busse HOFSH LE 8" blade made from 5/16" INFI steel

Cold Steel kukri 12" blade made from 5/16" Carbon V stock

This test is not made to make one knife look better then the other.
The TM is my old trusted knife and the HOFSH LE is a new knife that I have not experienced so much with.

I started off chopping some dry pine logs. I did not try to chop with the fewest strokes but just worked normal like I would if I was setting up a camp.
These are the results:

After 50 strokes the TM made it this far into the log.

The log was chopped in half after 149 strokes.

The HOFSH LE made it this fare after 50 strokes.

The log was chopped in half after 127 strokes.

I was exited to see if the Kukri would do much better, after all it is made for chopping and is larger.
This is what the log looked like after 50 strokes.

The log was chopped in half after 97 strokes.

All tree knives performed very well and the knives where still very sharp. Boy was I having fun

I decided to chop some birch wood, also dry wood that was laying around the camp site where this test took place.

These are the results:

TM 25 strokes

HOFSH LE 32 strokes

Kukri 20 strokes

I do not feel that the TM did better then the HOFSH LE and the explanation for the fewer strokes is that almost every stroke was perfect.

After chopping the birch wood I inspected the knives with my nail to feel if the knives had any chips or uneven development on the edge. The Busse knife had some very minor deformation/unevenness but is was very little. This might be due to the fact that the edge is a factory edge and a bit more rough then the polished edge on my Cold Steel knives. All tree knives where still sharp but non of them where able to shave hair on the part of the blade where the blade had worked the most.

These are the small deformation that the HOFSH LE obtained in the test. It is a little difficult to see - sorry.

All in all I was very pleased with my new Busse knife and the full tang construction sure makes this one hard to kill knife. However the Trail Master is not up for retirement just yet.

A good day in the forrest

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the weights of the knives please ? This would make a major difference. I'm a kukri fan and that shape makes for a very efficient chopper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete
The weight is:
Kukri 630 gr.
Trail Master 454 gr.
HOFSH LE 750 gr.

Gentlemen I did some more testing today.

This time I wanted to chop with maximum strength to see if the knives worked better with that technique.
This time I used leather gloves.
I also wanted to do some limbing.
The wood is pine and not fresh.

I found tree small trees that where pretty much the same. The thickest one where for the Kukri, he had it coming after doing so well in the last test.

The limbing took about 3-4 minutes all depending on how many limbs where on the tree.
The kukri felt a little heavy for this type of work but it was no problem working with it. On a 1-10 I rated the performance 7.

The Trail Master felt allot lighter and worker very well for this task. It was the fastest of the lot. I rated its performance 9.

The HOFSH LE is the heaviest knife of the lot but for this job it did not matter. Sliding the knife along the log worked well and the weight was working for the knife not against it. It is however a little more bulkier then the Trailmaster and its performance is rated 8 but a high 8.

The logs where ready for some POWER chopping and my muscles where warm.
The knives was inspected and no blade damage was observed on any of the knives.

I chopped the same piece of wood with all the knives and used the thickest one. (the one that was limbed by the kukri)

The Kukri was first. Please note that the log gets a little thinner after a piece is chopped of. The first tree chops where not effected by this IMO.

The Kukri used 44 power strokes to split the log in half. And yes I did have a BIG smile on my face while doing this.

After chopping with the Kukri on an old stump I decided to get a higher stump and a better working platform for the testing of the knives. I wanted the log to be up where I could put the most power into it. The kukri is longer and working low with it is no problem.

The HOFSH LE was up. I did not want to use the heaviest knife last and being confronted with questions like " you used the heavy knife last and maybe you where tired" LOL I DO NOT GET TIRED but anyway The Busse was up.

The HOFSH LE used 45 strokes to split the log in half, almost the same as the Kukri. For a short blade (8") it cuts deep. Note that I chop with the centre of the blade and not the front part.!!! The front part did not go as deep as the centre of the blade!!! I tested this theory many times. I chop very relaxed and maybe the weight from the handle can explain this.

The Trail Master was up.
Only 43 strokes to split the log!!! The precision of this knife is amazing it is very well balanced and even felt a bit to light but cuts deep enough. Not as deep as the Busse but almost. Check out the precession work clean cuts.

After this I was a bit puzzled!! And gave the HOFSH LE another go 49 strokes dam - the log got thinner after this point but I gave it another try 34 strokes. Then I used the Trailmaster again 23 strokes. The log was a bit thinner but not much thinner then the part that the HOFSH LE used 34 strokes to split.
The Kukri was up on the work bench 19 strokes what a chopping machine and what great hour in the forest.

The most impressive part of the test was that after limbing and chopping with the Trail Master It could still shave hair !!!! not so that they popped of like before I started but it could still shave!!! WOW that is crazy after such hard strokes.

Non of the knives had any damage on the edges. Remember the HOFSH LE that got small deformations on the factory edge? I sharpened the HOFSH LE before the test with a Translucent Arkansas stone and polished the edge with an even finer stone. Seems like a finer edge on the INFI steel is the way to go. I might even make it a bit thinner and see how that turns out.

Cheers,

André

PS I will go out again tomorrow, what tests should I perform?

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You have been busy! It is too hot around here for that kind of thing. I almost pulled out my Kukri for some brush cleaning this weekend but I was in a hurry and the machete was handy.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll stick to my kukris !!. The Busse is really not good design as it wastes all that weight in the handle and that weight doesn't do anything for you.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations jaeger excelent post ,excelent test,yes the kukri is beter for chopping but is the only use it has ,i have a cheap south african cold steel i use as a smatchet in the jungle because is very ligth ,busse must put more weigth in the point but the overaal desing is very good .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that you do know how to make yourself clear, andre ....

Very illustrative test and just plain excellent pictures !!!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
you could see which takes an edge faster and then use the hemp rope trial...

see how many ropes you can cut and still shave.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boomj Stick
The Trailmaster is way easier to re-sharpen due to the Carbon steel. I took less then 2 min to get it to shave again.
The Busse on the other hand was a project! Took like 10 min or so and I had to use my ceramic rods from Spiderco to get it real sharp. The INFI steel is hard to work with. I plan on testing this knife some more.
I have not done the rope test but plan to when I get some more time on my hands.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post here Smiler

The Coldsteel trail master maybe my upcoming
knife..I had been looking into the Puma Whitehunter for sometime now...however I guess there is nothing wrong in being educated here Wink
I have a good huntingknife..but I have been looking for a campknife...

Are coldsteel knifes sold in Denmark?

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens

Cold Stel is sold in Denmark, however a Trail Master will cost around $300 and yes at Møgbergs knife store. Eeker
Old Carbon V satin finish is sold on ebay for around $110-130. One hell of a comp knife IMO.

PS My next knife is a double knife Eeker Big Grin

Cheers, cheers

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I was splitting some wood to see how the knife performed in this task. I chopped all the logs with the knife about 30 min of work and forced the knife through the wood by hidding the wood on a stub ot batoning the knife through.
The knife performed very well and there was no deformations on the edge.
I think the new edge I gave the knife works better then the factory edge.
The knife was still sharp after the test and it only took 3 min on the ceramic rods to get the knife shaving sharp.

Cheers,

André

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a great report, Andre. It is so much fun to do the batoning with a knife like, you bet. Most people don't appreciate it.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery
Good report.
I am impressed with the Cold Steel Trail Master.
I may have to get one.
Its blade design is much better for all round use.
I am suprised it chops as good as the Kukuri.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The CS Trail Master is the best buy IMO. Real good all-round knife. Not as good a chopper as the Kukri but close.

Get one os the old satin finish ones, from ebay or from a collector. Last one sold for $140 and worth every penny.

The balance and fit is outstanding, get one and experience the feel if you do not like it send it to me Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still like a small axe for chopping.

Posts: 93 | Location: Mi | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Well Andrè, it sounds like we have to book a hunt with the surgeon (Juan ) and try out som scalpels , eeh big knifes on Wild Boar one day , perhaps practice the martial arts with them first would be best.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Rigby

Qua Patria Orbis Wink
It is always good to practice with the weapon of choice, rifle or knife.
The knife is close and personal and knowing its balance points is important.

Martial arts like Escrima, Kali, Armis etc. is good practice.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
MrRigby i always recommend the clients who will come to hunt mostly with knives and spears to practice a bit ,if you decide to hunt with spears from horses you need to practice a lot ,but infantry methods need some practice too ,the best thing is to learn with an expert like ANDRE FLOR but ,if not you can learn from books and videos of Janich ,Greg Walker ,Echanis,Lynn Thopmson,Duane Dieter and others the most difficult manner is from horses in the old method of cavalry officers so liked by Meinerthzhagen ,i practice several styles of martial arts ,and served in a cavalry unit ,but my main practice is hunting .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
isit hunting or combat i`m getting into? Confused sofa salute

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
André, web sites in the USA have the CS Trail Master in the black finish for as low as $115, the satin finish around $165 and the San Mai blade for around $260. Could you tell me, between the black finish and the satin finish, are there any differences when using the knives, or is it a purely cosmetic difference?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink

What you want is the older version of the Trail Master in satin finish and carbon V steel. That knife is made in the USA. The San Mai version is cool to but made in Japan and another knife. Look at my post about the different models:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/248103884

I posted pictures of most models. The old satin carbon V is not made any more - go to ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPIComman...gory0=&Submit=Search

Thge new black model is not made like they did back in the days!!!! IMO

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr rigby:
isit hunting or combat i`m getting into? Confused sofa salute

BOTH Wink

That type of hunting is CLOSE and personal, the actual "skill" is in the traning/breading of the dogos.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
It depends if you want to train your cuts and movements it will be dangeorus on the other side you can stab the heart and retrieve and leave the dogos make their task .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
The Macedonian Phalanx, a ten foot spear sound better and better day for day, but anyhow if i go after a 900 pound boar with a knife, ill have something to chat with a PETA girl about afterwards !!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rigby

Pictures like this do NOT fly on the PETA sites and forums. clap

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
André, I ended up buying that Cold Steel Trail Master from the e-bay link you provided. From the photos (I don't have it yet) it looks like the handle is nicked up and the scabbard could be replaced as well. Given your experience and knowledge of knives in general and especially this knife, what options do I have to have a new grip handle made, same for scabbard? By the way I ended up paying around $85.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink
If the handle is broken or even loose I would re-handle it. If it is just visual wear I would not do a thing.
Try to get one of the old codura sheaths, they come standard with the San Mai version now. It is the lighest sheath and the best IMO. You could also have a leather sheath made up but will end up paying more then you did for the knife.
Custom handle will also cost more then the knife did.
Anywayzzz I am exited on your behalf and look forward to hearing what you think about its fell and use.

PS that was a good price. thumb

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Andre i just returned from a guns and hunting fair invited by my friend afrikander ,it was a fair just for you at least 50 percent of the fair was of knives ,swords and combat knives we assisted to several seminars in combat knife and they heard my opinions in knife hunting with great interst ,i decided to practice KALI just to improve my techniques ,i tested a wonderful local made KERAMBIT by yarara knives ,i can only said one thing just perfect,it was a gift from afrikaader or Martin Canias Ongania a good men of arms ,ill ask him to post photos of the kerambit ,now ill be hunting for a couple of days ill return with a lot of photos of Italian clients .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Ohh it will be fun for next year . now just let me get more cash or be Jeffreys helper when he is finished at university .

And the Argentina, here i come next year !!

Plua a good knife and good rifle is also included in the luggage.

Well that picture can be send to a PETA site. Its completely normal people has hunted with sharp pointed objects for hundred of thousands of years, and i who didnt like bowhunting, and now iam starting to prepare for a knife/handgunhunt Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rigby

If you realy want to Shock people then after killing the boar you must shout "WHO IS THIS UNDER MY KNIFE" "WHO IS THIS UNDER MY KNIFE" Eeker Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan

Kali is very good for improving any knife handling skills. The techniques can also be applied unarmed.
In my Escrima training I have trained with Bill Newman and Steve Tappin, they are both excellent fighters and great Escrimadors.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Jaerger i know Who Bill Newman is hes world famous i saw him training with a lot of primitive weapons ,i believe he was training people here too .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

Bill goes worldwide! If you get a chance to train with him DO IT. Also Rene Latosa super fighter and top notch escrimador.

How is the cali working out for ya? Do you have time for that stuff with all those crazy hunters.

Cheers,

André

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
So Andre' I've always wondered why your Tagline doesn't read:

Always use enough.....KNIFE......... Cool.....DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Say again Big Grin

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Andre my farm is exploding with hogs again so we will do some culling soon ,but its a great drougth here ,with fire in a lot of arms now there is a big fire near my farm im ver afraid because it can destroy and killed everything ,the fire is in the dirt route where you frirst opened your rifle case you remember it.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan

Fire in the wild is dangerous, I hope that you get through it alright. The cull sounds like a great thrill, wish I could be there.
I will have to plan my hunting season so that I can come and visit you again.

I remember the road you describe - this is it right?

Cheers,

André