THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .470 Wars: Yes it's NOT (edit) true, 2100 fps beats 2300 fps with a North Fork FPS.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470 Wars: Yes it's NOT (edit) true, 2100 fps beats 2300 fps with a North Fork FPS. Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
RIP:
quote:
No importance so far for: Twist Rate.

May be it is less important than we assumed before.
But we have to take into account the lenght of the bullet. A .475 500 grs needs far less twist than a .375 350 grs copper bullet.
The .460 Weatherby reportedly failed often because its twist of 1:16.

And the modern flat and disk nosed bullets may really need less twist, especially if forming a sharp edged meplat as the CPS.

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
does this mean a 500gr. 458 win mag @ 2100 fps with flat nosed bullets with a longer twist will do the same? oh the horror Eeker but i'd rather have that 470 n.e. Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
does this mean a 500gr. 458 win mag @ 2100 fps with flat nosed bullets with a longer twist will do the same?

boom stick,
a .458 normally has a twist 1:14, what is sufficient for usual shots. The Wea was an unlucky exception. If someone builds a custom rifle, a twist of 1:12 is recommended.

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray you can't hang the elephants upside down it changes the consistency of the organs and you'll get erroneous results.

Good work Ron. I'm just biding my time waiting for the 2500 fps test. Keep up the good work.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
RIP your an army contractor at Ft. Campbell huh. I was stationed there at Ft. Campbell in the 101st from April 2001 to the end of 2003. Actually spent most of 2003 with them in Iraq.
I was just on Ft. Campbell on saturday.

Anyone tell me how to private message someone on here?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:

Click on their name on the left side of one of their posts. Then click "invite X to a private topic." Let me know if you have problems.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
RIP your an army contractor at Ft. Campbell huh. I was stationed there at Ft. Campbell in the 101st from April 2001 to the end of 2003. Actually spent most of 2003 with them in Iraq.
I was just on Ft. Campbell on saturday.

Yep, and I was actually born at Fort Campbell, KY more than 50 years ago ... back when the old hospital was a ramshackle collection of wooden buildings and a few brick ones, on the Kentucky side. They say that the current JAG building is located where the old hospital was. Maybe they converted a couple of the old brick buildings, or built some new ones, and bulldozed the rest?

Babies born at the current hospital get Tennessee birth certificates.

Being at Fort Campbell is like coming home. thumb

beer Thanks for your service Jarrod. clap My military service was during peace time, and pretty Mickey Mouse mostly. Now I am fat and old and gray, and over the hill. Just daydreaming about hunting down Osama and the Beheaders.

It is truly bitter sweet to be among the men (and their loving families) coming back, and those about to go to Iraq and Afghanistan. Frowner

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
RIP:

Lest ol man Ray's simulator pass gas i'm cutting and running as GS would say. Roll Eyes

I'm due for a "sheep shagging" nut

In the morn it's up before sparrows, a 8 hour drive on the great north road, then east by float plane to some spot on a map in no mans land where if my achilles tendons allow ( or my coronaries or both ????? ) I shall participate in a " sheep shagging"

I have chosen my weapons, a 61 year old Brno in 7X64 loaded with Norma's MRP and some of those Rhinos out of the good RSA.

We'll see you here in 10 days time, much slimmer Big Grin fitter and hopefully with a good set of horns

Alf

Good Luck Alf! Dall or Stone ... either will do with any full curl in God's country up there. Not Baaaaaaad at all. Heavenly. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
Hey Ray you can't hang the elephants upside down it changes the consistency of the organs and you'll get erroneous results.

Good work Ron. I'm just biding my time waiting for the 2500 fps test. Keep up the good work.
Take good care,
Dave

Dave,
It's coming. The .470 NE-type loads in the .470 Mbogo will be very pleasant, and the the comparison to mid-range Mbogo power at 2500 fps will be interesting for sure. How about 2700 fps ? No problem with the North Fork FPS or CPU. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
does this mean a 500gr. 458 win mag @ 2100 fps with flat nosed bullets with a longer twist will do the same? oh the horror Eeker but i'd rather have that 470 n.e. Wink

You got a point there. Finally, with a North Fork FPS, the .458 Win Mag may reign supreme yet!!!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:

You got a point there. Finally, with a North Fork FPS, the .458 Win Mag may reign supreme yet!!!

its worth a try thumb beer Eeker roflmao

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok 470 by the trunk it is, but first I must extract the tusks with my trusty pocket knife and they tend to resent that, so I hammer them with my baseball bat into submission...Makes my horse nervous to watch for some reason...

Alf,
"Shagging sheep"? man, your perverted I thought only bask sheepherders did that!! sofa jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
RIP,
Have you done any 45/70 tests yet?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ray,..
here's a funny, me correcting spelling.. it's basque .. but there's laws in my ancestrial homeland (scotland) of "bothering the sheep"

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
RIP,
Have you done any 45/70 tests yet?

Rusty,
That is way down on the priority list. What I have seen so far with rifle bullets in Flat Nose solid configuration is that velocities from 2000 to 2700 fps produce the same penetration, with sectional density around 0.3 or slightly more, and penetration may fall off with lower sectional density at higher velocity.

So far the higher velocity only produces more splash and pulverization of the first few boards, equivalent to better wounding and quicker killing.

The bobble between 10 or 11 for scoring the .470 Capstick and the .470 NE was produced by the variance or randomness of the last two compartments after keyholing and a misreading of the boards.

.470 NE 2100fps
.470 Capstick 2300 fps
.470 Mbogo 2500 fps

All produce good 10 compartment penetration.
In compartment 10 they are beginning to yaw and may randomly go through the 10th board sideways or base or nose first, making it difficult to read sometimes, so the impression of an 11 with the 470 NE was a fluke of maybe base of bullet going through the 10th board with nose trailing. Repetition and watching the boards revealed this.

Higher velocity only produces more trauma and equal penetration to some point.

The ,45/70 should be classed with bigbore handguns as a stunt weapon, or a minimalist piece for those wanting a lighter weight, handier or lower recoiling rifle.

But I think the latter shooters would be better served by a 9.3x62, .375 H&H, 10.75x68, or .404 Jeffery at 2125 fps with 380 grain .423 North Fork FPS, SPS, or CPU.

.450/400 double with FN or FP would also be a light weight and handy piece for good penetration.

The wounding power will not be there for any of the low recoil rounds, so no free lunches.

Youse guys need to build more Iron Buffalo and prove me right or wrong with MORE DATA. I can't do it all.