Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 brass? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is 458 brass going to become more difficult to find now that it has been discontinued?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do what?
winchester is macking this a seasonal run, hornady makes it every day, and lots of other people make it..

not to mention the thousands of guns in it.

I think you assumption is flawed

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find plenty out of this last Winchester run. I picked up about 400 with no problem. If Midway, etc. are out give Dave at Buffalo Arms a call. He had plenty last time I checked.

Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you live somewhere like Australia, locating unprimed brass has definately become more difficult then in the past. Having said that Norma still produces it regularly, and you could shorten 375H&H brass ... or just do what I'm doing and get a 458AR built because 300RUM brass is plentiful Big Grin.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think some guns are even still being made. Remington was claiming to import the "798" in 458 win.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious,does anyone reload these cases? I found the primer pockets to be really loose after just one firing.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Just curious,does anyone reload these cases? I found the primer pockets to be really loose after just one firing.

thats because you have no clue what you are doing. expanded primer pockets means you are SERIOUSLY over pressure

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
so what

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I bought so much of the 510gr sp's that I don't think I'll run out of brass anytime soon hillbilly

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the loose primer pockts a result of a higher instant pressure or a preesure exerted over a longer period of time because of the 500 grain bullet? Doesn't one experience loose primer pockets with larger calibers?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
so what

wear your helmet, son, you'll need it...

complaining of results when you have no clue you are doing is a sign of ignorance. Being informed and taking no corrective action is willful negligence.

If you hurt someone else by your actions, after being warned, you are liable.

Don't complain of your own actions as someone else's fault.

quote:
Are the loose primer pockts a result of a higher instant pressure or a preesure exerted over a longer period of time because of the 500 grain bullet? Doesn't one experience loose primer pockets with larger calibers?

Only when seriously over pressure.

shoo thataway, you are WAY WAY WAY over pressure. Now, LISTEN UP, you are making mistakes and ARE going to hurt people, including yourself.

STOP LOADING BULLETS AND LEARN .. and NEVER give reloading advice, as you are seriously past all safety margins.

Your amazingly reckless actions clouds EVERYTHING you post, and you are seriously at the edge of what one can do and LIVE

5 reloads, MINIMUM son, FIVE .. if you can't get FIVE you are going to pierce a primer, blow it, blow up a gun, and./or hurt someone.

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a load of marketing crap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As long as you do not exceed the yield strength of the brass it will hold the pressure forever.
If your primer pockets are loose after one shot you are exceeding the yield strength of the brass. That means YOU are causing it by overloading it. Read more.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Where have I been? WHO is discontinuing the 458 WM?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Then why do I get NO loose primer pockets on cases that have severe high pressure signs in my 300WM and 270WSM? Signs such as shiny marks on the head along with ejector marks,sticky bolts and cases that will no longer fit in the chamber or reloading die.The 458 wm cases show no sign of high pressure and the bolt opens with ease.Velocities are also the same as those published in reloading manuals.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it means you are over pressure.

now, SHUT UP and load 5 grains lighter and see if you get the same problem.

keeping your insistance on "being right" means you will keep "being right" until you pop a case, rupture a primer and cause injury,

which do you wish to be? "right" or whole?

in other words, son, don't be an idiot

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,

I've got no dog in this hunt ... just commenting because this REALLY is a safety issue. I have been reloading for 40+ years and am still here to comment on life, love, and the pursuit of happiness.

Loose primer pockets is a very strong sign of significant over pressure!!!!!

Doesn't matter how your loads compare to loading manuals or other published data.

If you're seeing loose primer pockets after a single firing ... you're running WAY too hot in your rifle!!!!!!

Reminds me of something my dad used to say ...

There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots ... but there are no old, bold pilots." He retired as a Command Pilot with more than 22,000 flight hours in military aircraft.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ignore the Troll. He cannot possibly be for real. DrC

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:

And you are not concerned about why? shocker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, dude read a couple of reloading manuals. sofa

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by canam:
Is 458 brass going to become more difficult to find now that it has been discontinued?

Hornady basic belted brass makes great .458 Lott brass and it's just a few more cranks of the trimmer handle away from being .458 Winchester brass. Smiler

hth

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
so what

So what the rifle can blow up in your face you friggin' MORON. Then again, it might keep you from procreating. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised ya'll havent put Shootaway on your ignore lists. I thought everyone did once they read a few of his posts

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I'm surprised ya'll havent put Shootaway on your ignore lists. I thought everyone did once they read a few of his posts

Yea, but this is a serious, serious sfety issue!!!

Shootaway,

I load the 458wm. I load it to kill elephants. It kills elephants with loads that last ten or more reloadings. I chuck the brass after ten to be safe, but its got more life really, with my very successful elephant loads. If you are experiencing loose primer pockets at all, and certainly after just one loading, STOP!!!

Go get the right manuals and they will provide loads that will do all you ever need without any issues or potentially hurting yourself or others.

Really!! I'm not kidding and the other guys aren't either!!!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The vocabulary and sentence structure are very reminiscent of our ol pal ScottS/Judy/A/ axel/ ToddE and oh so many more. Oh yes he went a way for a while. A word to the wise.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what RGB said...

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
A little common sense dancingand some obsevation will go a long way to preserve his life if he cares at all. That way we can continue having a good time blasting this dude. animal

All shooting manuals are strickly guides to get started and they do warn about working loads up slowly and with caution. What is a mild load in one gun can be dangerously over pressure in another. That's why magazines always post a disclaimer, "published loads are only safe in the authors gun" work loads up slowly with caution. bewildered

Then again there are folks that should call ahead to reserve the range for themselves and the rest of us stay home that day for safty sake. fishing

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:

Yea, but this is a serious, serious sfety issue!!!

Shootaway,

I load the 458wm. I load it to kill elephants. It kills elephants with loads that last ten or more reloadings. I chuck the brass after ten to be safe, but its got more life really, with my very successful elephant loads. If you are experiencing loose primer pockets at all, and certainly after just one loading, STOP!!!

Go get the right manuals and they will provide loads that will do all you ever need without any issues or potentially hurting yourself or others.

Really!! I'm not kidding and the other guys aren't either!!!

JPK
You say you know about reloading the 458 but when it came to shooting the ele you MISSED the brain!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
The vocabulary and sentence structure are very reminiscent of our ol pal ScottS/Judy/A/ axel/ ToddE and oh so many more. Oh yes he went a way for a while. A word to the wise.-Rob
Did you build your rifle yet? If so what caliber?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like a SERIUOS answer on primer pockets from big bore cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
stop using a drill to remove the primer.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greghud:
stop using a drill to remove the primer.
greg

...or go back to using Large Rifle primers...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Shootaway-Are you really that stupid? A bunch of marketing crap huh? Interesting. Please, I beg of you, use 5 more grains in a case. See what happens. A loose primer pockets is caused by excessive pressure within the case, causing the case head and primer pocket to expand. Simple physics.
Here's a simple test that you can do by yourself, and you'll find yourself amazed. Take a plain water bottle and drill a hole into the cap, ensuring the cap is tightly screwed on and there is a little water left in the bottle. Tap a air hose into the cap and turn on the air pressure. Notice something? The bottle expands! WOW! Same thing with a cartridge case you damn idiot!
Now if you keep on loading to the pressure you are achieving, you're going to end up a bloody mess. Common sense son, everyone's told you that so far. And if you think we're just playing, take my advice above and load up 5 more grains and hopefully you won't procreate anymore.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of duplexing that load. But then you probably shouldn't do that. It might be unsafe. HO-HO-HO. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you've had many of these. You just seem to want to ignore them. Care to share your load information that is giving you these results?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fine - Paul Mauser -- lost an eye to gas escape. If you are lucky, that's all that is going to happen to you.

the 460 weatherby operates at 65,000PSI, and can be reloaded SEVERAL times... same for the lott, and I shoot alot of winmag, lott, and 458 AR.

my brass generally lasts 7-10 shots, and if i anneal them, even longer.

YOU ARE SERIOUSLY OVER PRESSURE.

warning
ID-10-T failure warning.

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand in this case there is a SERIOUS safety issue.. But.....

I had him on ignore for awhile. Then I started noticing some of the replies to him and had to take him off ignore.. This guy is just TRUELY entertaining...

Shootaway, there are times when you will see virtually no pressure signs and still be WELL over SAAMI pressures... This is one of the signs that lets you know for FACT that you are WAY over pressure... Back down the charge!!!!

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
horse What this dingbat doesn't realize is that with a continuous barrage of over pressure loads also leads to metal fatigue. He can continue to spout out of the pumpkin on his shoulders until his smoke pole fails and he ruptures his pumpkin. dancing I seriously doubt he evan shoots a big bore let alone own one. The bad part about it is when pumpkin head finally does have a rupture and it sends him to the happy land it will give the rest of us a black eye. clap

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a load of crap,olcrap. My loads are around 2150 fps which is normal for a 458 win mag.Winchesters supreme safari ammunition has the 500gr Nosler solid at 2240 fps!!! It would be interesting to see if those have loose primer pockets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you guys not see that Mr. Shoo-thataway is obviously a fraud. There is no way ANYBODY could be this STUPID and still be alive.

He is a major ass troll and is simply pulling your collective legs.

troll troll troll troll troll