THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    458 Lott--458 Winchester--416 Remington, New Data Project
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott--458 Winchester--416 Remington, New Data Project Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Michael,

Best of my recollection N130 or N133 should should work well in the 458 WinMag, perhaps even better than M530. Unfortunately I'm away from my laptop for a week or so therefore can't access my QL to verify.

Jim, that may be so, but fact is I don't have either on hand....... I can't believe it, but somewhere along the line I have a 1# of V-N530..... I must have been going to do something with it at one time, then forgot about it????? But it seems to be one the boys across the pond are using.

V-N140 and V-N530 both have a good start in 458 Lott..... But V-N140 is too slow for the 458 Winchester.

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
RIP........

In looking back on some data I have on the 500 MDM, Benchmark actually did very well. So when starting this data I was asked to do some with Benchmark. Out of one old can I had, I could have only loaded 5-6 rounds, so no need to bother. I went in search, and since it did so well in 500 MDM, figured I would get some, found 5 lbs, and it was delivered Monday!
Might check it in your bigger 500s too?

Was very impressed with H-4895, I had not used any before. It was extreme yesterday in 416 Remington. 2560 fps with the 350 #13 Solid.... Top end.... Did well in both 458 Lott and 458 Win..... I am going to check it also in my 500s here both MDM and B&M..... Who Knows?????

416 caliber has a hard time stabilizing FOR TERMINALS ONLY... SOLIDS ONLY..... at anything more than 1:14. Sam and I did a test on 416 B&M,400 #13 Solid, he has a 1:12, mine are 1:14. At 1:12 dead straight penetration, right to the end. At 1:14 with the same load the last 2-4 inches or so, we lost stability at 1:14. I would not even mess with 1:16 +, I would drop to the 370/350s for that. 350s do not come up short in any way.

In my opinion, even proper designed meplats at 416 cannot self stabilize themselves, not 65% to 68% anyway. During terminals mind everyone, solids only..... As we increase to 458 caliber +, they will damn near self stabilize even without rifling..... remember the capsticks at .477 shooting .473 solids, and stable for 90% of total penetration, no engraving at all! So they had to Self Stabilize, no other possibility. I have the worst luck with any cartridge at .47 anything. Even the second 475 B&M was oversized for christ sakes! It would not engrave! I did not know this when hunting in Australia 2012 with this rifle, using CEB and North Forks, all dead straight penetration.... Only when we recovered some of the NonCon HPs, did Sam and I notice no engraving, even after giving extreme deep penetration. LOL.... PacNor replaced this barrel on this rifle at no cost of course. Brian still has it, as I have not had need of it here. When we replaced, I went with 1:16 with it, the other two 475 B&Ms I have are 1:10. I plan on doing some terminals with some of our solids, test between the two twist rates.......... Should be interesting........ I am pretty sure I know the outcome already, but we will prove it, just to see for sure............

Later.... Back to the range this morning, more work on 416 and 458s..............

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
RIP........

In looking back on some data I have on the 500 MDM, Benchmark actually did very well. So when starting this data I was asked to do some with Benchmark. Out of one old can I had, I could have only loaded 5-6 rounds, so no need to bother. I went in search, and since it did so well in 500 MDM, figured I would get some, found 5 lbs, and it was delivered Monday!

Was very impressed with H-4895, I had not used any before. It was extreme yesterday in 416 Remington. 2560 fps with the 350 #13 Solid.... Top end.... Did well in both 458 Lott and 458 Win..... I am going to check it also in my 500s here both MDM and B&M..... Who Knows?????
I'll definately have to keep track of this as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Michael458:
416 caliber has a hard time stabilizing FOR TERMINALS ONLY... SOLIDS ONLY..... at anything more than 1:14. Sam and I did a test on 416 B&M,400 #13 Solid, he has a 1:12, mine are 1:14. At 1:12 dead straight penetration, right to the end. At 1:14 with the same load the last 2-4 inches or so, we lost stability at 1:14. I would not even mess with 1:16 +, I would drop to the 370/350s for that. 350s do not come up short in any way.

In my opinion, even proper designed meplats at 416 cannot self stabilize themselves, not 65% to 68% anyway. During terminals mind everyone, solids only..... As we increase to 458 caliber +, they will damn near self stabilize even without rifling..... remember the capsticks at .477 shooting .473 solids, and stable for 90% of total penetration, no engraving at all! So they had to Self Stabilize, no other possibility. I have the worst luck with any cartridge at .47 anything. Even the second 475 B&M was oversized for christ sakes! It would not engrave! I did not know this when hunting in Australia 2012 with this rifle, using CEB and North Forks, all dead straight penetration.... Only when we recovered some of the NonCon HPs, did Sam and I notice no engraving, even after giving extreme deep penetration. LOL.... PacNor replaced this barrel on this rifle at no cost of course. Brian still has it, as I have not had need of it here. When we replaced, I went with 1:16 with it, the other two 475 B&Ms I have are 1:10. I plan on doing some terminals with some of our solids, test between the two twist rates.......... Should be interesting........ I am pretty sure I know the outcome already, but we will prove it, just to see for sure............
Ah ha... Something new has surfaced for terminals! Just when we thought everything was over except for the fat lady signing. lol

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP........

Doc M, I have, right on up to 500 Mbogo 450-grainer at 2836 fps with 115.0 grains of Benchmark. I am sure Jim could find use for same powder in his 12.7x68mm Magnum, as I have. tu2

H4895: I bought the 8# jug of it after I saw how it did with 400-grainers in the 400 Whelen B: > 2200 fps in that mighty midget big bore.

OK, that was .416 caliber 400-grain monometal solids that need a 1:12", ah so, thanks to Jim too.

About the 470s, I have a 470 Mbogo with 1:16" twist, no problems. 470 Capstick with 1:10" twist, no problems. 470 NE with 1:21" twist, classic antique for cup & core, shoots well, including .475/500gr monometal copper GSC FN, but the "self-stabilizing" feature of the "no-spin" BBW#13 brass solids is encouraging.
I bet you don't see much, if any, difference between terminals with 1:10" and 1:16". After all, the "no-spin" delivery worked OK, really? Just so they aren't key-holing before they get to target, eh?
Old .474"-diameter/500-grain North Fork FP and CP key-holed in a friend's Winchester Custom Shop 470 Capstick (1:10" twist). Mike Brady increased diameter to .475" and they stopped keyholing in that rifle.
animal

Later.... Back to the range this morning, more work on 416 and 458s..............

M

Here is a load I dream of having pressure tested at MAAMI:

Cartridge: 500 Bateleur (.510/.338 Lapua Magnum Improved 2.700" case length)
Projectile: 189-grainer consisting of .510-caliber plastic sabot weighing 39 grains plus 150-grain .308-caliber Nosler Ballistic Tip. 1.572" projectile length.
Powder: 102.4 grains of Winchester 296 (97% fill)
Cartridge Overall Length: 3.767" (works in Weatherby single stack, 3-down, drop box magazine)
Barrel length: 25.5" (heavy contour, on Weatherby Mark V varminter)
QuickLOAD MV: 4010 fps
QuickLOAD Pressure: 63,000 psi

Looks like a winner, if only it is accurate enough for groundhogs, coyotes, and such.
No muzzle brakes allowed with sabots, nor needed . hilbily

Seriously, what is the suggested start pressure for such a plastic sabot load?
I used 1000 psi just to have something low to compute with.
My QL on this may be suspect.
May have lower actual pressure and velocity?
MAAMI testing needed! rotflmo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
RIP..... Maybe someday you can come down, we strap that bitch up with a gage and go to work!
HEH.................

458 Lott, 458 Winchester, and 416 Remington data continues to grow. Had good sessions the last couple of days and currently loading right now to start another session this morning.......... In between I have been doing tests with Oehler and wires, Oehler and PT 2, and other assorted things to make sure all is on track, all is as correct as we can
be, and to check for any electrical interference or issues.. We are getting more used to how the Oehler 83 reacts, works, and its little issues as well... yes, even the Oehler has some little things that are aggravating too. But as
we learn more about these, the better we can read it and understand why, what, and how. Nothing is perfect.

We did have some excitement yesterday, our very first loads with 416 Remington..... 72000 PSI!!!!!!! Little on the HOT side.
Was consistent, and next loads fell in line as well, so we think it was real, at least right now. This was a 400 #13 Solid with a dose of H-4895.....?????? We will be doing a retest of this, with slightly lower amounts of course, to further investigate this. Rifle held it, in fact, one would never know it if listening to the rifle and brass speak. Sometimes, some rifles will do this. Most of the time, the rifle will start talking, no screaming at you at 70000 +, but not this one and not even the brass! So we proceed to investigate this incident further.

We have now run through 700 rounds since starting this data, actually probably a bit more, as I started a new box of 1000 Fed 215s after we started the data. Maybe 100 + more, but not much more than that I think.... So we will call it 700+ rounds as we know for a fact we just started loading from the 8th box of primers....... And we have miles to go yet.............

Off to loading, then to the range.........

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you are proofing that 416 huh!

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
So you are proofing that 416 huh!

hilbily

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys... I have been pretty busy the last few days, over the weekend Brent Ebling and his wife were down, Brent and I spent time on the range with some of his stuff and had one hell of a good time. Was sorry the time was so short.

Saturday we experienced a major computer crash, but by Saturday evening we were up and running again, almost smooth as silk. Upgraded the laptop to Maverick, Macs newest and greatest OS X.... All well and good, but the issue here is it does not support appleworks, and all our load data, terminals, every document I have for the last 10+ years is in appleworks. Knowing a big change is coming, I have been busy converting documents, so we can continue to work. New computer arrives end of the week, so we are ready this side with all important documents already converted to work with the new Maverick OSX.... This has kept us busy here for a couple of days. Some things we like, some things we are still learning. I learned its pretty easy to convert my documents to pdf on one continuous page... No breaks or page breaks, at least in the electronic document, sure it will split up when you print...... Live with it. LOL.

In the last week or so I have got some work done on our project however. With all three cartridges. Now I am not finished yet, but V-N530 looks EXTREMELY GOOD in 458 Lott and 458 Winchester....... It appears it is going to equal some of the best powders we have worked with so far. So all you guys in Europe, use V-N530... I don't think anything else is going to be better. I will be investigating V-N530 in some of my B&Ms later as well. 416 is gathering speed as well, but I don't have enough to put up for you yet... still hammering away......

Sam sent an email to me over the weekend about a Magneto Speed Chronograph! Neat hookup, straight to the rifle, nothing downrange you get a direct muzzle velocity right in front of the muzzle. I looked at it, sounded well done, so I got one on the way. It arrived today, and I had to know. At first, it would not pickup or read the brass CEB bullets at all. It has a "trigger adjustment" from 0... Most sensitive, to 20 I think. Set at 15.. No readings. Down to 10... No readings. Down to 5... No readings! I was getting ready to toss it out the door by now! I set it all the way to zero, said what the hell! Then it started reading every single round. It also matched pretty good with my PACT at 18 feet downrange! It would appear we are loosing from 20-28 fps in that 18 feet.

This seems to be working great, the display unit sits right on the bench, with you and the rifle. No walking downrange to read it. If this works, as good as I think it might, this would be an incredible step for all you guys that have to shoot at a public range, where it is nearly impossible to work with something 18-20 feet in front of you, and have to bother with setup each time!!!!!!

Midway has them... It seems to be working pretty spiffy. I now am taking readings both from the PACT and the MagnetoSpeed, I want to make sure its consistent, and actually works, and so far, its a big thumbs up. Getting started with strapping to the barrel is a bit of a learning curve, but nothing we can't sort out and work with.

It seems to be a good tool, and yet another we have been able to add to our work here......... If so, then in the future I will only be recording from this, and actual true muzzle velocity.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have to have a front sight ramp or a bulbous muzzle brake to anchor and keep the MagnetoSpeed from sliding off the end of the barrel in recoil?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Do you have to have a front sight ramp or a bulbous muzzle brake to anchor and keep the MagnetoSpeed from sliding off the end of the barrel in recoil?

No, it grips pretty tight on the barrel itself. Has some soft rubber inserts that hold it fairly good. Still learning to work with the strap system, but I think it will do well. I have had to adjust after a few firings, but not much of a big deal........... Does not move forward but slightly of to the side, if I can tighten it a bit, might not do that....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

You might be a redneck--if you have a loadstrap on your rifle rest--------

hilbily

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HOSE CLAMPS!!!

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOSE CLAMPS!!!
Ah geez Sam... Did you have to tell Michael that one! I can see 8"-10" hose clamps hanging off the end of all barrels opinion the lab now! Truly will be one of those hilbily kind of things!!!!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
HOSE CLAMPS!!!
Ah geez Sam... Did you have to tell Michael that one! I can see 8"-10" hose clamps hanging off the end of all barrels opinion the lab now! Truly will be one of those hilbily kind of things!!!!

Hose Clamps! Excellent Idea................ hilbily

More efficient changing from one rifle to the next that way!!!!

That front rest has taken a beating.... Yep, its tie strapped down to the bench. You see, before, every shot, recoil would move the damned front rest. Very inefficient, having to reposition each time. So I tied the bitch down, no more problems! Except now, the head is broken off, little floppy loose, but have not taken time to get a new one and can't figure how to fix this one.... Things take a beating here for sure.

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
HOSE CLAMPS!!!

Hose Clamps! Excellent Idea................ hilbily

More efficient changing from one rifle to the next that way!!!!

M
faint

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
HEH....... Sam and I have already been talking about modifications to improve the Magneto Speed attaching process..... I like the hose clamp idea, look real nice on a expensive rifle don't you think?

Once again we have run into a major change in powder consistency...... X Terminator from 2011 is not the same as this 8# can of 2013 X Terminator......

458 Winchester

11/18/13 450 #13 Solid 74/X Terminator Fed 215 2326 2315 11 2321 66239 PSI--Over Max Pressure
NOTE: 12/1/2013 RETEST X Terminator..... New 8 lb Can came in and far different results with North Forks
Using up to 75-76 gr of XTerminator from new 8# Can under pressure. This Xterm 2011 1# Can

NEW 2013 X Terminator
12/18/13 450 #13 Solid 74/X Terminator Fed 215 2263 2243 20 2253 52287 PSI—Magneto Muzzle Velocity
52839 51735 1103 52287 Good PTs>>>76 grs

As you can see, 74 gr of X Terminator 2011 is not 74 grs of X Terminator 2013......... This seems to be a trend with several powders, including the most popular for 458 Winchester AA 2230.........

V-N530 as I mentioned is an exciting discovery here, having never had any experience with the powder. Not sure when I actually acquired this 1# can, 1-2 years ago I am sure, but it is most certainly worth looking into.

458 Winchester

12/18/13 450 #13 Solid 71/V-N530 Fed 215 2289 2281 8 2285 58071 PSI-Magneto Muzzle Velocity>>72 gr
2256 2250 6 2253 18 ft Velocity
58270 57873 397 58071 VVVExcellent PTs

Not sure my copy/paste is going to position correctly in the post..... But I think you can sort it out....

POINT IS

Be Aware of Changing Powder from one can to the next, even in the same Lot#

My Powder, Ain't Your Powder!

If you fancy a particular powder, always purchase in the largest container you can 5#, 8#s. If purchasing several large containers of the same powder, MIX them together thoroughly and completely, giving you an even larger amount that is the same consistency......... Date them as to when purchased, example 12/2013, or something such. 3 years from now, when you purchase new containers, always start lower again to make sure the powder is the same or NOT.......... A very good chance it will be NOT....

This project is going to have to take a back seat for a bit, will only be able to get bits and pieces done over the next month or so I am afraid. With the holidays, several other very important shooting projects that require attention, getting ready for DSC, and so forth, time is short I am afraid...... I will look at what 416 data I have, and see what can be posted if there is enough, which I barely scratched the surface so far...

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree regarding V-N530 - in my 458 AccRel and 500 AccRel its the best powder so far... Smiler
Merry christmas to all of you out there... Hope you`ll get some useable presents... bullets, brass, etc Big Grin

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
Agree regarding V-N530 - in my 458 AccRel and 500 AccRel its the best powder so far... Smiler
Merry christmas to all of you out there... Hope you`ll get some useable presents... bullets, brass, etc Big Grin

I just happened to have this 1# can, I got it to test in some of the B&Ms, although I forget which ones now! LOL......
I think I must find a bit more to do some B&M work with in the near future, looks like it could be an excellent base powder
for some Blending Tests too................

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever considered leaving the "shine" alone when working up these tests??? jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Have you ever considered leaving the "shine" alone when working up these tests??? jumping

Well why in the hell would I do that? What fun is that?
beer

Oh my god, Brent and I did some "Shine Blending" while he was here last weekend, and man was it
really good..............

shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're a regular funny guy!
Looking forward to seeing you in Dallas Mr McCarry!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Same here Rick, we are in the same spot as last year, different number, I think 932 if I recall, anyway, same place..... I think..... Close anyway... LOL............ They are pretty serious about this alcohol thing in the booths, I think that is going to be an ugly thing.......... Hmmmmm??? Of course, who would do that anyway?

hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I wasn't gonna say anything but, After I found out that you had some "pie" or "shine" at the booth and you didn't offer me any......
If I had any feelings, they'd be hurt! shocker

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Damn good thing you don't have any feelings Rick.........
beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

Have you noticed any significant change in the bullets point of impact with the Magneto Speed attached to the barrel? I just recently learned of the Magneto Speed but I am concerned that having something strapped to the barrel will affect my groups when trying to build a load.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Go Dawgs:
Michael

Have you noticed any significant change in the bullets point of impact with the Magneto Speed attached to the barrel? I just recently learned of the Magneto Speed but I am concerned that having something strapped to the barrel will affect my groups when trying to build a load.

Surely must have an effect. But no different than working up loads with a brake: Find a promising load, then try it for group and zero without the barrel contraption.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Go Dawgs:
Michael

DO NOT PURCHASE A MAGNETO SPEED CHRONO................

At least not just yet.........

Go Dawg.... Glad you mentioned this, as I have been meaning to get back to this, but just have not had the time. At first, it seemed the Magneto Speed was working perfectly, once I found the correct settings. But the last several times I have tried to work with it, the thing has given me such off the wall readings that I know are totally incorrect, I have actually stopped using it at all. I am not sure what the issue is, whether I don't have the settings correct, or it is too low, too high, but the crazy readings I am getting are just plain wrong, and do not match up with the chronograph set at 18 ft.......... I have quit with it at this time. Sometime in the future I will try and further vet this to see what the problem is. But for now, I do not have the time to mess with it.

????????

As for it causing some POI issues, I am sure that it would on smaller bore rifles, or rifles with skinny barrels. All my computers, and pressure set up is at my 25 yd bench, and of course I am shooting all big bore rifles, so at 25 yards I am not seeing any POI issues, and probably would not notice it anyway if there was. I do not worry about changing targets when doing pressure tests, just too much time. So at the end of a session I may have tested several different loads, bullets, and even rifles, so I end up with a big 3-4 inch hole down range, and have little regard for where this or that hits at 25 yds. as long as I get chrono data and pressure data........

On our current projects that we started in November, I pretty much satisfied with 458 Lott and 458 Winchester data, I am more than likely finished unless someone has something I have not done yet. I have not finished 416 Remington yet, and there is still much to do with this cartridge and CEB/North Fork bullets. Which I continue to make some progress on. Right now, I have a couple of other projects that have taken some priority over this, but I will be loading this morning and continuing 416 Rem data this week, along with some of these other projects that have priority currently. Soon as more data is gathered, I will get it posted on the B&M site, as normal...........

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr McCarry,
It was good to spend some time in your presence again sir. Hope you had a good show. Next year, I'm gonna bring some Miracle Grow and water for those short little guns. Maybe we can get them to real size. shocker jumping

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Mr McCarry,
It was good to spend some time in your presence again sir. Hope you had a good show. Next year, I'm gonna bring some Miracle Grow and water for those short little guns. Maybe we can get them to real size. shocker jumping

pagos..........

Yeah man, it did my old tired eyes good to see you pal! I enjoyed our time as well. We love DSC, and all the good folks we know and find there. But I don't know if anyone enjoys it anymore than Mercedes and the boys, they have a blast.

I best not see you next year with a watering pot!!!!!! Damn things are too big now.

But next year as we make our way to the "watering hole", drink is on me! Thanks.......

wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir! I understand as you get older, heavier things are more difficult.
When you get a chance and are done with the .416 and the 2 .458's, can I get you to email me the data?
Thanks my friend.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Pagos.......

I hope to get some work done today with the 416 Remington........

PM sent............

No thanks needed..........

M