THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Original 500 Jeffery (pic)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original 500 Jeffery (pic) Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought you big bore fans might like to see a pix of an original 500 Jeffery. Yes this is 1 of 25 made. Now owned by a dear friend of mine. He shot a very nice ele bull with it 2 years ago and is going back this year for another ele!

I found it very smooth to shoot and even dared to fire a second shot at a target. It shot very accurately as well (1.5" off hand)at 50 yards!

Posts: 2538 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I see why John Taylor said Jeffery fitted "splendidly massive barrels to thier 500" That rifle looks about perfact......Thanks for posting that photo...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Thought you big bore fans might like to see a pix of an original 500 Jeffery. Yes this is 1 of 25 made. Now owned by a dear friend of mine. He shot a very nice ele bull with it 2 years ago and is going back this year for another ele!

I found it very smooth to shoot and even dared to fire a second shot at a target. It shot very accurately as well (1.5" off hand)at 50 yards!

Too cute!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those two rifles do look nicely put together, though the geriatric pad on Alf's rifle could stand replacing. Save the take-off for a paper weight!

Same barrel contours (straight taper past the Knoxform?) and length, I say old chaps. Allow me a guess: 24" length and 0.820" at the muzzle?

And would they be weighing about 10.25 pounds bare and empty?

Jolly good show Olde Beans! Thanks for sharing these pinnacles of guncraft. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
26†barrels and closer to 12 pounds bare weight?

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats very nice for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Here is mine:

ALF has more neat rifles of which I'm jealous than any human I know! Smiler

Man, 2 of the original 25 made... that is something to see, even if just on the internet!

I hope ALF has one helluva secure way to store all these neat rifles -- future generations should not be deprived!

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Reddy375,

After seeing the string swivels on your friend's rifle, I would be willing, out of the kindness in my heart, to help him in his indigence and swap him a NIB Remington Safari in his choice of caliber!
jumping

(What a honey of a rifle and it's wonderful to see it in use! Thanks for the pic!)

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
niiiiiiiiice...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler at Sportsmans Access has an original one in 500 for sale in pretty good condition. Don;t know what he hwants for it, but it was available at the Bay Area Cow Palace show last weekend

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the picture that Jeff is a beauty. It's interesting to see how straight the stock is.
As for the recoil pad on Alfs' rifle, isn't it worth more as is, rather than having had the pad replaced?

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf, from mood killer to mood enhancer! Well done!! How long have you enjoyed that work of art? reddy375 I hope you can make to your friend's hunt!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reddy and Alf,
beer
NICE! That's classy all the way, plus they've that 'been there-done that' factor that modern guns will sadly never enjoy.

Use'em well, hand'em down, and post more stories/photos in the mean time so the rest of us can continue to enjoy history in action.

Well done!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did Jeffery build this one as well, and if so, is it part of the 1 of 25?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?appID=36&...id=1663&mode=viewGun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see it states "made in germany"...guess it's a schuler

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldun:
As for the recoil pad on Alfs' rifle, isn't it worth more as is, rather than having had the pad replaced?

That one of Alf's must be an "investment gun" and not a shooter, eh?

Still no gun weight, barrel length, or muzzle diameter?

The one linked to at Bass Pro Shop (Las Vegas, NV) said 10.9 lbs and 27" barrel. Oh my! Single stack Schuler magazine from the looks of it, said to be a 500 Jeffery, on a standard M98 and only 14.2 K. Oh my!

Alf's #5 of 21 is on a Magnum Mauser 98, as is reddy375's original. Oh my! thumb

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Now those are some nice rifles! Built after my own modest preferences, with long and heavy contoured barrels.

Amazing, isn't it, that Jeffery, being such cartridge innovators, did not build their own rifles.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book, Notes on Sporting Rifles (3rd ed 1932) by Major Burrard carries an advert for Jeffry rifles.
It states for the 500 bore rifle;
The 500 bore is the most poweful Magazine Rifle on the market and with a 535 grain bullet give an energy of practically 7000 ft. lbs. Prices from $35.
My understanding of history and economics is not good enough to know if such a purchase was a sound investment.
homer

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
These are rifles one could kill for, indeed.

I salute the happy owners: Reddy's friend, Alf the rifleowner, the unknown owner of F.Jamiesons .500.

BUT WHERE ARE THE REMAINING 21 RIFLES??????

WHERE? I WOULD NEED ONLY ONE!

Confused

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradhe:
Tyler at Sportsmans Access has an original one in 500 for sale in pretty good condition. Don;t know what he hwants for it, but it was available at the Bay Area Cow Palace show last weekend

Any contact information for Sportsmans?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Them be boomers, for sure!!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by bradhe:

Any contact information for Sportsmans?

Pretty sure it is a fake. Also apparently it has been through the ringer.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Reddy Garu, Outstanding!
More More -lets have as much as we can of this vanishing legacy
Best
Axx

it dont mean a thing,if it aint got no zing

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have that barrel duplicated for a 500 Jeffery that I'm working on... anyone want to share the dimensions???

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Very sweet pics. The first pic of the Jeff sitting on top of the elephant is a keeper!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Here is a modern incantation of the 500J on a proper background although the Ele was taken with a 416Rigby. The rifle is a SABI and it incorporates a Quarter rib for looks and a rear bridge Ghost ring for use. Barrel is short but heavy. This is a working PH's rifle in Zimbabwe. Not nearly as attractive as the originals.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Zim,

wouldn't that baby look nice with a side mount Pachmayr and a Tasco ProPoint? Drill what, four or five holes in the side of the receiver and you'd be good to go. After all, this one's just a photo prop.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
clap

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or is that bottom metal really bent out of shape??
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Here is mine:

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not bent, just slightly bowed in the graceful curve of perfection. thumb

Apparently nobody knows their barrel dimensions here and are not disposed to go measure, or they are jealously guarding the secret information on those original 500 Jeffery rifles.
horse

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

Them darn Canadians don't know how to measure in proper increments anyway.

You'd have to convert liters to inches or some such. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Zim, that's certainly a classic-looking 500J, but I really must question that forward mounted electronic scope! What does that do to the balance?!

Ahh, there's no accounting for taste. jumping

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
Thanks for setting us straight on that. cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Those two rifles do look nicely put together, though the geriatric pad on Alf's rifle could stand replacing. Save the take-off for a paper weight!

Same barrel contours (straight taper past the Knoxform?) and length, I say old chaps. Allow me a guess: 24" length and 0.820" at the muzzle?

And would they be weighing about 10.25 pounds bare and empty?

Jolly good show Olde Beans! Thanks for sharing these pinnacles of guncraft. thumb

I was not too far off.

The shank on those originals is pretty fat, eh?
My 500A2/510JAB has a barrel shank of 1.25" diameter for a 3" run (that included the threaded breech end, before threading), then a straight/constant taper to the .850" muzzle diameter at 23" long from breech to crown. Compare to original 500 jeffery .845" muzzle diameter, and about 24.5" (23.75" + threaded portion) barrel length. With the thread protector removed from the muzzle and my big, fat muzzle brake screwed on, my barrel is 25" long.

Such good judgement, so similar to an original 500 Jeffery contour, eh? BTW, my 500A2/510JAB weighs 10.75 pounds in a McMillan stock.

I wonder what Alf's 500 Jeffery weighs?

He seems to be disposed to be able to weigh one.

(Snivel ... whine ...)

horse