Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Bushamster Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hornady has introduced the 450 bushmaster as a .42 cal round intended primarily for the AR family of rifles.
i am wondering what you guys think of a CZ 527 carbine in that caliber.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First time around I read "bush-hamster"...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats what i call the 223.
i guess that the 450 rifles will be out this spring and the ammo, via hornady, around december.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
450 Bushmaster
Hornady introduces big bore performance for the AR platform.

Nicknamed "The Thumper," the new 450 Bushmaster is the most radical cartridge ever chambered in production AR-15 type firearms. Hornady brings big bore performance to the most popular semi-automatic rifle in America — opening a whole new world of hunting to the battle-proven platform.

Hornady engineers worked closely with the Bushmaster design team building the cartridge to wring every last ounce of performance from the AR-15 without sacrificing any strength or reliability.

Well suited to hunt any North American game, the 450 Bushmaster will quickly become a favorite of bear country guides. By simply switching uppers, shooters can go from the prairie dog towns of South Dakota to bear country in the north woods!

The 450 Bushmaster fires Hornady’s 0.452†250 gr. SST-ML featuring Hornady’s Flex Tip™ technology.
The overall cartridge matches the 223 Remington at 2.250â€, but uses a specially designed magazine.
The SST’s sleek profile makes for surprisingly flat trajectories and tremendous downrange energy.
Put it all together, and you have a cartridge that gives your AR series rifle a serious attitude adjustment!

quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
First time around I read "bush-hamster"...

animal

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well suited to hunt any North American game

thats a bold statement for a 250 .452 w/ an OAL of 2.25".

posted Hide Post
I wonder what velocity they run it at.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least the 458 SOCOM matches some decent loads or the 45-70 !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, and I thought from the thread title we're talking about a 450 pound furry animal.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
no need for it...

anti personel o.k.

hunting...noooooo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushamster...you got me!
Anybody got any ideas on how to clean a 50-50 mixture of snot and and rum-laced eggnog off a keyboard and computer screen?

thanks pal, my sinuses needed cleaning out!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=543

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Bush Hamster!

I love it!

Shortly after arrival of the tourist hunter on the dirt air strip deep in the bush:

PH: "What's that you've got there, bwana?"

Bwana: "Why, it's a .450 Bush Hamster."

PH: "The charter back to Dar hasn't left yet. If you hurry, you can still make it."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote from marty the 458 socom guy. i asked him what the scoop was on this last night

Parker –

Nothing new, read the Guns & Ammo special from 2000 about the .45 Professional. Essentially the 284 Win cut off at 1.77 and fitted with a .451 bullet. That latter part limits what you can do with it and Hornady is already finding that out – they have changed the twist and lowered the claimed velocity. It requires custom steel for the bolts and extensions to get the fps Tim L was claiming and best I recall that steel is proprietary to GM …. It is a straight case, head space on the mouth, pistol bullets, and less rounds in a mag than the 458 per Bushmaster … I wish them good luck, but I looked at the 45 P design when I made the SOCOM and decided it did not work the way I wanted. Interesting design nonetheless

Marty

Posts: 195 | Location: Athens Texas "The Black-Eye'd Pea Capitol of The World" | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornadys new round is geared at hunting.
This is the only animal i can imagine i would feel compfortable hunting with it.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There should be more cartridges named after their intended victims. I haven't seen too many hamsters taking the bus in my neighborhood but you can never be too careful.

So which cartridges are named after the gopher, the armadillo, the kangaroo rat, the cane rat, the weasel, the field mouse, the raccoon, etc?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450# hamster!!! The Richard Gere jokes practically write themselves.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you know why Richard Gere wraps duct tape around all of his pet hamsters? Keeps them from blowing up when he...never mind!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read a few years ago that a gunsmith in alaska was converting either the m14 or m1 to fire 458 win mag. Much more interesting in my opinion. And definantly alot more effective on game.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jnd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
There should be more cartridges named after their intended victims.

2.7 mm Kolibri
And some others

Posts: 73 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The 450 Bushmaster:

Put a rim on it and call it a Casull.

Take it Africa and call it a stunt.

-or-

Put a flashlight on it and call it tactical.

Just don't call it a practical big bore...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote