THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Manifest Destiny and the .395 Tatanka: How to Draw It?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manifest Destiny and the .395 Tatanka: How to Draw It? Login/Join

one of us
posted
It was meant to be, the "Forty Ought Seven." Forty caliber of '07.

Why?

Because if you take a .416 Rigby case and change the shoulder to 20 degrees instead of 45 degrees, starting point of the shoulder exactly the same as on the .416 Rigby, and neck the case down to accept a .395 caliber bullet, and make the outside brass neck diameter 0.425" at Neck-1 and Neck-2:

The neck length is exactly .395" long for an unchanged case length of 2.900".

Is that not fate?

While I am waiting for busy Gerard to make a drawing of the .395 Tatanka, like he did for the .395 GSC, is there any software out there that I can get to draw brass and reamer specs in digital format rather than my paper and pencil?

All the info needed to draw the .395 Tatanka is supplied above, starting from the specs of a .416 Rigby case.

So, max brass neck thickness spec has to be .4250". There is no other way. The Great Spirit planned the .395 Tatanka to build itself. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i like the slick feeding 20 degree shoulder thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Uhh, Boom Stick, have you been adding grain alcohol to RIP's Scotch? Wink
Seriously, Rip. Sounds like it really is coming together.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sumbuddy who know where to get software to draw?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. RIP,

I was just looking for something to draw up my own target design. Google has SketchUp but I haven't tried it yet.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Posts: 157 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John,
I was thinking of something aimed at the cartridge wildcatter. I recalled a primitive thing in rcbs.load (early version) so I looked up a web site and it looks like they have improved it to version 3 of RCBS.LOAD. There is now a "cartridge designer" program that looks satisfactory:

And they still have the simple "cone-head" drawings tabulations:

Just wondering if sumbuddy knew of anything better???

ammoguide.com has a "cartridge creator" but they do not seem to allow one to save or send any of the drawings on that "tite site." I joined it and wish I hadn't because of the "titeness" of it. thumbdown They also have a totally wrong drawing and specs for the .375 Ruger there now, must have been copied after Scovill's crow-eating data. horse

One of Us
posted Hide Post
simple solution to a specific design. Call Dave (manson, of course!!) and throw the numbers at him. He is really into the creative side of reamer design and building...

Rich
DRSS
bigbores "R" us

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
I have done that many times (via 2 different smiths or direct contact by me) and have 3 reamers on order with him now, 2 for Gerard and one for me at the moment. Number 4 to be ordered tomorrow. 4 reamers related to .395 cartridges. thumb

I supply him the brass specs and he translates it into reamer specs. That part is easy. That can be worked by fax, email and telephone communication.

I want to be able to dazzle the internet with .395 Tatanka brass and cartridge images while it is still an air cartridge. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
rip...if you are the godfather does that make me a "made man" Big Grin

seriously...

i am happy the 395 is soon to me lighting up the world.

any new news from gerard?

some think the 395 is silly but imagine if there was no 458 in between the 416/404 and 470??? someone would say...hey...thats silly. i heard today that if you hear a lie a thousand times it is more acceptable than a truth you heard for the first time. it applies here in the sense you have never seen one but people have always made excuses for there not being one and the reasons for there not being one were inadequate imho...now the truth of seeing it and looking at the benefits without predjudice will set you free thumb

long live the godfather!

now all the mafia punns will flow...it will be an offer i cant refuse...

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,
Gerard Schultz is considered the father of the .395, since the godfather talked him into siring the bullets. Harry Mcgowen is a high captain, running the barrels racket.

You did a stint for us in the numbers racket with the PR thread. That was exciting. Thank you. But you are not "made."

You have to build a .395 to get into the "family." prof242 said he had a barrel on order. Is he pulling my leg? Anybody seen a .375 Ruger reamer yet? When they do a .395 Ruger Boom Stick should be possible. Wink

AccuLoad III is much better than II.

Here is what it says is possible using the .395/340gr FN in a 26" barrel, pressures rounded to the nearest 100 psi:

.395 GSC
COL 3.600"
2745 fps at 62,500 PSI
2605 fps at 51,100 PSI

398 Lapua Magnum
COL 3.750"
2910 fps at 62,500 PSI
2755 fps at 51,200 PSI

.395 Tatanka
COL 3.750"
2925 fps at 62,500 PSI
2770 fps at 51,200 PSI

ALF! Take notice. Some software that is more realistic!!!

Of course, with the .395 Tatanka loaded out to 4.200" COL with the 1.900" long SP, even AccuLoad III gets confused. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,
This is a neat, easy to use drawing program. It is free for a month and costs $40.00 if you want to keep it after that. Once installed, print the manual and go from there. To enhance the drawings I use PhotoFiltre which is freeware but with a nag screen every time you start it. These two bits of software have uncomplicated my life greatly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
clap

Thanks, Gerard. I thought that might smoke you out. Wink
Back to work now.

Ready ... AIM Wink ... make bullets!!!
thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
What we have on order:

Dave Manson Precision Reamers:

1. .395 GSC finish reamer with floating pilot
2. .395 GSC rougher/case-sizer reamer with solid pilot
3. .395 neck and throat reamer for use on 398 Lapua
4. .395 Tatanka finish reamer with floating pilot and headspace guage

McGowen barrels on order.

.395, it's a happenin' thing. salute

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

AccuLoad III is much better than II.

Here is what it says is possible using the .395/340gr FN in a 26" barrel, pressures rounded to the nearest 100 psi:

.395 GSC
COL 3.600"
2745 fps at 62,500 PSI
2605 fps at 51,100 PSI

398 Lapua Magnum
COL 3.750"
2910 fps at 62,500 PSI
2755 fps at 51,200 PSI

.395 Tatanka
COL 3.750"
2925 fps at 62,500 PSI
2770 fps at 51,200 PSI

www.aement.com has a great product in the AccuLoad III software.

It looks like the .395 GSC will be a real killer with modest recoil for anything from zero to 500 yards.

Long loading of any of the three above with the 1.900" SP's should make for interesting 1000 yard target practice.

These .395 caliber bullets (HV, FN, SP) in the .375 H&H Improved necked up as well as the .416 Rigby "20-degree short and long" necked down will surely find a happy middle ground, for a happy hunting ground.

Smart, eh? thumb

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Check and order were mailed.
Pulling your leg? I'll leave that to some of our armchair adventurers.
My problem, though, is which of the actions I have do I put it on? The lefty 7mmMag Ruger? The Rem 700 magnum (if I can live down the "pushfeed" jibes)? I know... a lefty Savage! (Oooh, I shouldn't have said that, should I?) shocker

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
prof242,
You walk the talk. You Da Man! A thinking man. Fitting that the next "made man" has smarts. thumb
The .395 family is growing by leaps and bounds. Three of us now.
clap

As soon as I can fire off a .375 Ruger cartridge and neck it up to .395, I'll measure the water capacity and run it through AccuLoad III for 3.4" and 3.6" COL with the GSC FN for kicks and comparisons. I expect efficiency galore. cheers

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i can assure you rip it is just a funds thing with me...i am a house poor newlywed...i could sell the house and dump the wife and have quite a choice wildcat/gun collection. right now i have to come up with $10,000 for income and property tax Mad

we can pull together to make a 395 ruger project and auction it to the highest bidder for a charity...a few here have pledged parts time and money. when the bullets get here and a couple hundred we can order a barrel. i can chip in $50 or $100 right now and with others we could get the project started. we just need to come up with a plan and what charity.

what say the others?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Luckily we do not have a drawing for the .395 RUMs-Veldt yet so I can concentrate on matters more at hand!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

just make that .4050" neck measurement to .4250" and viola!

the 2.4912" will be more like 2.48"...fwiw lathe down a 416 to 395 and stuff to get a better measurement Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use ACAD Lite.

"There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a 30-06." Lindy Wisdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather use a Bud Lite and RCBS.LOAD, latest version, thank you all. Wink