THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    October 3rd Hoot-n-Shoot DRSS/ARBBA Houston
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October 3rd Hoot-n-Shoot DRSS/ARBBA Houston Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got some 400 gr barnes solids remington factoey stuff for the .416 rem.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am starting to pack stuff up right now. I will bring the light wieghts along if someone feels like getting their teeth rattled. Seriously, the little brakes on them work pretty good. I have a feeling this is going to be a really fun shoot to be at!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope someone takes pictures of exciting shots and great guns and posts them...for us that didn't plan well enough to be there!!! Please, Please...

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, heres the guns that made the "bring" list for shooting on Sat., 2 ken owen -4 bores, 700 Searcy nitro double, 2- 700 AHR's, 3 -600 overkill's,ultra lightwights in 416 rem, 458 lott, 500 Jeffery. I have a box of 458 lott, and about 1/2 a box of 500 Jeffery. So if anyone has extra ammo for the lite weights that would be great. Also bringing some stuff to just look at. the 2 bore "king kong" black powder by Steve Zihn, and a couple really big handguns, and a huge really nice Bowie knife pair made by Mike Carter, custom knives. See you all on Fri night for supper.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope someone brings a video camera and a chronograph.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
quote:
Sorrry to hear this Rich, I was looking forward to the visit

+1

+2

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone get the shoot on video? I am sure many here would like to see a video of the event.The canadian big bore shoot, a while back, was great on video. Have fun at the Hoot and Shoot!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
got a couple cases of cokes, 4 loaves of white bread, 2 jugs of rudi's sauce, couple gallons of potatoe salad, cups, plates, flatware ..

ready to go!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39683 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you don't like the weather in south central texas, take a nap, it'll change

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Found out today that I won't make it to the shoot on Saturday. To say I'm bummed is an understatement; I still haven't fired a shot with my new 416 Rigby. Y'all have fun.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bummer!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'll be there!

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Headed down to cafe adobe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rub it in Jeffe...

Rich
I will have a glass of 1800 for you here

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
rich.... you missed a good dinner... the stuffed avacado is pretty good..... ask rusty about his cheese enchiladas.....

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
modelo especial on draft .. THAT's rubbin it in!

good to meet bigdoggy and wife, Jim's lady, and all my old (er than ME) friends

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes a great visit and dinner, and I'll second the stuffed avacado.
We missed you Rich, sorry your not here.

Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodney,

you're a dog too, and so is Rusty...

Rich
stuck at home

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck
Drinking coffee and loading up the artillery. See yall there.
Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
getting ready!

Bringing the tater salad, Rudi's, bread, n stuff!

I'll bring some swapping materials,
at least 5K federal 200s
a SWEET 1909
a nice "cigerette" mauser, double triggers, nice gun .. LAUGHABLE claw-to-redfield base .. but it works

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
we talked about you too rich.... stir

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I had a GREAT time .. thanks Rusty, Keith, Bob, Mike .. and each and every one of you that came. Thanks everyone for sharing your toys and good sportsmanship.

Peggy, thank you for being a very caring person .. Rusty, since she seems to have adopted me, I guess i have to call you daddy .. at least you know I'll take good care of the guns when you pass them on to me!

Ken, WOW, your stuff it amazing

Jimmy, thanks for sharing your 10,75x68 .. that is a WICKEDLY unique piece, a factory MAS 36? in 10,75

Andy, thanks .. for bringing Sondra! LOL

I'll post videos of Andy anddoubleduder, Lee shooting the 4bore

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
DrewHenry and Lee440 shooting bigdoggy's Ken Owen 4 bore
Andy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vxnuJjEbnA

Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrcCQe1Igs

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
That video just does not do the experience justice! Now, if I can just find my detached retinas....

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
talk about taking 3 steps back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. good shooting!!!!!!!!!

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought you all did a good job shooting the big guns and the ultra lites. Glad I could be a small part of your gathering today. Thanks for all the hospitality on Friday and Saturday,I really enjoyed seeing all of you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well first of all Gotta thank Bayou Rifles for hosting!

Next a Big ol' Texas Ya'll come back now ya hear! To Ken and his fantastic artillery pieces from Illinois!

Shooting the 4 bore was more psychologically challenging than physically. The double 700 H&H kicked the snot out of me. The 700 AHR and 600 Over Kill added insult to injury.

For all those folks that pledged to buy ammo from Big Doggy 700 and did not or chickened out and did not shoot any of his shoulder cannons....What are you? 100% Puss?

I cant wait till next time. Ken you can just bring the 4 Bores. They have the weight that reduces recoil.....26 lbs worth! If I had not needed some more fired by me brass in my collection, I would have shot a few more 4 bore rounds.

I have a whole new appreciation for my "tiny" 375 H&HSmiler

I am now ready for Saeed's flying rifle. Bring it, I'll shoot it!!!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the shoot was a blast.
lots of good people, good food & some magnificent rifles.
kens rifles & pistols were amazing, thanks for the opportunity to shoot the 4 bore.
i'll put a few pictures of my mas36 10,75x68mm sporting rifle up.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks for letting me shoot your MAS36 in 10.75x68. As Jeff may have told you I am in the process of building one and was wondering about how they shoot. I was concerned about using too light a barrel. Your rifle has the lightest barrel I've seen on a big bore! It was a pleasure to shoot! I noticed the factory ammo had a very smooth shoulder and after firing in your chamber the shoulder was very distinct. Did you send a few fired cases to whomever you are getting loading dies from?

The 4 bore wasn't nearly as bad as you thought it would be was it!?!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a bunch of friends that are shooters but not yet AR members call me a liar. They say there is no way I stayed on my feet shooting a 4 bore. I have referenced them to Jeffe's video and I still have some doubters. All is not lost as I think 4 or 5 of them will be signing up as members and will attend in the spring. One of them has an amazing big bore double I have been trying to talk him out of for a few years....it is a 375 Win! It is an absolute pleasure to shoot. When he tells folks he has a rimmed 375 they all think of the 375 flanged until they see the ammo! It is a neat rifle and I am sure would qualify for our big bore shoots and certainly as a double. I need to ask about the manufacturer. I don't recall who made it.

Until next time..........Smiler dancing

Andy aka 'Squatch

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
andy, i did send in 2 fired cases. i also picked up 10 previously fired cases with the same headstamp that look identical to the ones fired from my rifle.

the 4 bore wasn't bad at all

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like the "Whomper Club" added a few names to the list.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to everyone for helping and participating. Y'all made it a great success!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Rusty, Jeff and all the BRI members that make this possible! Here are the big ones Ken brought with some baby magnums for comparison (bullets weights for traditional loads, not necessarily as loaded below):

Left to right:

300 Win Mag @ 180 grns
458 Lott @ 500 grns
550 Magnum @ 700 grns
505 Gibbs @ 525 grns
600 OverKill @ 900 grns
700 AHR @ 1000 grns
700 H&H NE @ 1000 grns
4-bore Owens @ 2000 grns

All that is missing is a 3500 grain round ball for the 2-bore front stuffer Ken brought.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dwarfs them all, don't it?

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drewhenrynut,
Let me know what Linda says on the .50 cal sabots, thanks

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Where are the stinkin' pictures???? Let's see 'em! Dang, talk about a tease...... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote