New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Magnificent 13 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted
The "Band of Bubbas" went to the field this weekend with their big bore rifles to slay things. The "Band of Bubbas" membership now includes not only Texans, but new members from three other states and one CANADIAN province(2 Canuks). To the new guys, welcome beer, it was a fun weekend of hunting, shooting, and fellowship.

More pictures to follow.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that picture makes me look like I'm fat and getting old Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Weeeellll Billy, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. clap

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and I guess the picture of the hog I killed will prove that shot the largest hot too................... Big Grin wheres my money

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I think, tiggertate has it. Good luck.

Hog Killer

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Always nice with pictures, would be nice also to get a presentation of the gents?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Front Row - left to right
Chris
470Mbogo
Fla3006
Mike Dettorre
Robgunbuilder
GringoCazador (neither kneeling in the front OR standing in the back)

Back Row Left to right
browningguy
tiggertate
Hogkiller
RNS
Levers
Jeffeosso
Invader66

The Band of Bubbas and the STC Hunting Club now have overlapping membership... remember gents, we can't talk of the bubba and STC initiation rites

the smallest rifle on the hunt was a 376 steyr..

A good time was had by all

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jeffe!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Money? Money? I got no stinking money!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew I should have took the money and ran.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Billy's prize winning hog, estimated 200 lbs, a splendid shot I was told (by a sniper from the Bosnian War):

Our fearless leader (Jeffeosso) and the sniper:

Jeffe and his second-place hog:

Jeff (BrowningGuy) and a mercy killing (mangy coyote, no hair whatsoever). Always use enough gun (458Winnie):

Mike Dettorre and a good coyote trophy, very nice pelt on this one. First blood 376 Steyr, note the duct tape holding the floorplate in place:

Keith (HogKiller) showing Mike how to butcher a coyote:

Maybe the hunting wasn't the best but the camaraderie could not have been better. We really appreciate the guys from Canada, California & Arizona for coming out! Super bunch, extremely knowledgable shooters and hunters.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and pictures. The suspense was killing me, but I held out.

Sounds like you all had a great time.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
you should have seen the pig that took 4 rounds in the shoulder to put him down and then 2 rounds of 550 in the head (first one was a hawk and didn't go through the hide... )

It was so big we couldn't pull it out with loggin chains....

Allen wound up pulling one leg off, and that leg weighed 85#... not bad for most of a shoulder....

I still think Billy's pig was a bit over 200.. darn nice sow!!

What an excellent time

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was very interesting to get big bore shooters together and talk real time and see everybody guns and etc.

IHad a great time, I also got to shoot some of the other guys guns...........which was a blast. Lot of very nice big bore rifles.

The guide that worked on the ranch was quite an interesting fellow from Eastern Euro, not very familier with whitetail deer, but he seemed to know hog hunting and did all the hog trapping on the ranch...........he could walk faster than most men can run chain smoking in the process.........down here in South Texas we'd call him MUCHO HOMBRE.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe.............I think your full of crap Smiler, I didnt see any pictures........but then again everyone of you would lie just to jack with me.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
Jeffe.............I think your full of crap Smiler, I didnt see any pictures........but then again everyone of you would lie just to jack with me.

hmm, EMBELLISH perhaps...

after all, billy, we pulled that hog's leg clean off...

just like we are pulling yours...

(got ya roflmao )
jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I know you were fun'n when you said it took more that one round from that lever action 45/70!
roflmao

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Money...I heard Harry talking about getting his new stock checkered by Bill Soverns...said something about the pool money being a good down payment...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I heard rumor that you were trying to learn to talk like me so when you went back to CA you could improve you chances with the pretty girls............ Big Grin

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys had a ball! Those get-together fun hunts are the best! Informal hog hunting is the perfect target for this type of get together! The DRSS has one or two of these per year, and we always have a lot of fun up on the Navasota River. Congratulations guys!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Billy,

I could never even approach your lelevl of save and a boner... oh I think that is suave and debonaire...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Im glad you recognize that Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dettorre !

How is the happy interstate trip of death coming along?!?!?!

Best,

John

p.s. Nice coyote!

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
how about the highly above average...

will you settle for great but not congenial clap

just kidding...with a name like that you knew you were in for a jab or two beer

great hog billy...

hog killer...you make my whiskers seem tame...nice proud stache you got there thumb

keep it going guys beer

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Billy, I heard the two guys from Canada needed
more greenbacks and as you said you wanted to go
up there to hunt.They traded even CAN.$ to US$
so you would have money when you arrive. Nice of them. Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you fellas had a GREAT time!

Congratulations!!!

Smiler

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
hog killer...you make my whiskers seem tame...nice proud stache you got there thumb

Well, I am trying to make up for the lose on top of my head. sofa

Hog Killer

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Well, I am trying to make up for the lose on top of my head. sofa

Hog Killer

And only a foot left to go. Big Grin

beer

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
OUCH!!, the truth hurts.

Hog Killer

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I ain't far behind Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
That was truly an awesome time. Hey Billy I tried talking like you going through customs because you were always sounding so smooth and it just about led to the rubber glove. I guess if I had a lip full of snoose it might have gone better. Big Grin
Chris and I are looking forward to the next time.
Take good care you guys,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave/Chris

ya know.........you got to be born with cowboy cool........lol, if not it will get you in trouble Smiler

I had a great time, I want to come north and hunt with you guys........I promise not to wear shorts.....weather might not agree with it. Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Just got back into town- This hunt was a blast even though we didn't kill nearly as much stuff as last year.I thoroughly enjoyed it though and really liked meeting all you guys in person. .-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it back OK. Good t see you back on AR. Was a great time.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the other 12 as I had a great time. Tate thanks for the use of the rifle. I had a great time and am looking forward to the next years trip. Dave thanks for the fish it was great.

RNS

RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No problemo, Neal. Billy; get your check yet? I guess so because you've been so quiet, LOL.

I hope you use that dough to buy some real pants.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote